Question I could use some help picking out a switch or router.

beauknowsdiddly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Hello,
I'm not sure what I need to get. I just added a 3rd PC to my network and only 2 of them have the speeds they should.
Right now I have a modem/router combined which is an Arris NVG468MQ which my main PC is plugged into. Then I have an ethernet cable going from that to a piece of crap switch. It's a Trendnet V2.0R. It's probably about 15 years old. Model # TEG-S50g H/W:V2.0R. The link provided is for a V4.0R.

The 2 other PC's are plugged into the switch. It would appear only one port kind of works on the switch as only one pc gets the proper speeds. I'm not sure if I should get a router or just a better switch. What do you folks recommend?

https://www.commscope.com/globalassets/digizuite/62031-nvg468mq.pdf
https://www.trendnet.com/products/unmanaged-switches/5-port/TEG-S50g

Thank you

beauknowsdiddly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
try a different ethernet cable at least cat5e

Are the lan drivers of the pc up to date?

which speed does it show in windows?

if you disconnect one PC, is the speed there then?
Hey thanks helpstar!
I'm pretty sure it's the switch at this point. The cable I've been using I think is a cat5. Not sure they even had 5e back then. And the cable I just got is a cat6. Regardless though, They both get the same speeds in each of the 4 ports. Both PC's/cables get over 500mbps up and down in port 3. Port 2, both cables get just over 50mbps, Port 4 gives both just over 5mbps and port 5 there is no Internet using either cable. So I'm thinking it's that old piece of crap switch.

Again I'm just not sure if I should get another switch or a router? And which model switch or router should I get?

Last edited:

anvoice

Honorable
Jan 12, 2018
NIB typically means "new in box" on ebay, if it's part of the listing title or description from seller.

I also advise to cross-shop ebay with amazon, as contrary to intuition the first does not always have the best prices.