Question I cut all the wires of 24-pin connector on a Delta 800w power supply and now it won't jump start ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shreesh gupta

Commendable
Jan 10, 2020
For some stupid reason i cut all the wires of the 24-pin connector on a delta 800w power supply and now when i try to jumpstart it, it won't start.
Can anyone help me get it back running because i believe its not dead because it still gives that low voltage shock if you touch its body, and makes that click sound old power supplies used to make when you jump the wires.

Actually that stupid reason was that i wanted to convert the 24-pin connector to an <expletive deleted>18-pin proprietary connector that HP uses (HP Z440).

Shreesh gupta

Commendable
Jan 10, 2020
Buy a new one and then spend the $10 to get an adapter as would have been a far better idea in the first place. Given how you went about this whole problem, rather than using actual tools and instruments, you're clearly not qualified to safely deal with this issue yourself.
even if i buy a new psu i cant buy an adapter, amazon/AliExpress are not shipping it to india and ebay is taking like $100 not to say that it would customs and they are really stupid they will ask like $50 to release the item,

D

Deleted member 14196

Buy a new one and then spend the $10 to get an adapter as would have been a far better idea in the first place. Given how you went about this whole problem, rather than using actual tools and instruments, you're clearly not qualified to safely deal with this issue yourself.
I second this advice. Hands off

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

USAFRet

Titan
even if i buy a new psu i cant buy an adapter, amazon/AliExpress are not shipping it to india and ebay is taking like $100 not to say that it would customs and they are really stupid they will ask like $50 to release the item,
Or, you could buy a whole new PC.
Because you're right on the edge of blowing this one up.

Shreesh gupta

Commendable
Jan 10, 2020
I second this advice. Hands off
Or, you could buy a whole new PC.
Because you're right on the edge of blowing this one up.

im not as stupid as you think, i didnt connect it to my pc i just connect it to power and then tried to jump start it, when it didn't start i undid the 18 pin connector and now its just a power supply with no 24 pin connector, but still it doesn't starts, and my question is what might be the reason its not starting, is it the 2 grey wire (pwr_ok) that were earlier connected to 3.3v and 5v (having 2 wires coming out of 1 pins) but aren't connect now, or is it something else ?

An ATX PSU requires a minimum of load on the +5 Volt rail (red wires). You can use resistors to act as a load. They will need to be high wattage resistors so they don't burn up when you connect them to the circuit - something along the lines of 10 Watt resistors or two 5 Watt resistors in parallel. You should also use multiple red wires so you don't overload the wire's carrying capacity.

You will also need +5 Volts to the Power Good in on the green wire.

Shreesh gupta

Commendable
Jan 10, 2020
An ATX PSU requires a minimum of load on the +5 Volt rail (red wires). You can use resistors to act as a load. They will need to be high wattage resistors so they don't burn up when you connect them to the circuit - something along the lines of 10 Watt resistors or two 5 Watt resistors in parallel. You should also use multiple red wires so you don't overload the wire's carrying capacity.

You will also need +5 Volts to the Power Good in on the green wire.
i didn't quite understand what you're saying, can you
explain

DSzymborski

Titan
im not so stupid as you think, i didnt connect it to my pc i just connect it to power and then tried to jump start it, when it didn't start i undid the 18 pin connector and now its just a power supply with no 24 pin connector, but still it doesn't starts, and my question is what might be the reason its not starting, is it the 2 grey wire (pwr_ok) that were earlier connected to 3.3v and 5v (having 2 wires coming out of 1 pins) but aren't connect now, or is it something else

Nobody is saying you're stupid. Being unqualified for something and being stupid are two very different things. Nobody can do everything. I'll go over to mom's to fix her computer, but when she needed surgery to treat her early-stage glaucoma, she went to a doctor, I didn't show up at her house with a scalpel.

The fact that you determined a PSU's functionality by feeling a little shock is a very strong sign that you do not have the qualifications to do this safely. Anyone who should be doing this would have understood thx's post. There's nothing wrong with that; I can operate a load tester and an oscilloscope and I understand the parts of a PSU, but that doesn't give me sufficient technical ability to start doing any rewiring safely.

If you truly cannot get an adapter, then your choices are to either buy a compatible hp PSU or buy a motherboard that isn't proprietary.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Status
Not open for further replies.