[SOLVED] I deleted .Net Framework and it still doesn't install

Senbonzakura_miku

Commendable
May 13, 2019
I gave myself ownership from trustedinstaller to delete "Microsoft .NET" folder because i couldn't find it in programs and features i tried everything but it couldn't be uninstalled by windows so i did i lt manually. So, it still says newer version is installed and it doesn't run the setup.now I don't have any. Net Framework installed on windows and even cant install one.Any solution?
Almost nothing runs correctly now(as i expected).

Solution
@USAFRet: Indeed, it was a horrible idea.

The best thing to do now, if a full system image backup is available would be to recover from it. Otherwise, one should do the following, in order, but I expect the first option will not end up fixing the issue:
---------------------------------
Before going any further, it must be noted that a repair install (or feature update, when those are being done) allows one to keep all of one's files and apps (desktop/installed and store varieties). This is in complete contrast to a Reset (which allows either keeping just one’s files or wiping everything), or a Refresh or Completely Clean Reinstall, both of which wipe everything.

My standard advice, in virtually all cases, (and...

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
@USAFRet: Indeed, it was a horrible idea.

The best thing to do now, if a full system image backup is available would be to recover from it. Otherwise, one should do the following, in order, but I expect the first option will not end up fixing the issue:
---------------------------------
Before going any further, it must be noted that a repair install (or feature update, when those are being done) allows one to keep all of one's files and apps (desktop/installed and store varieties). This is in complete contrast to a Reset (which allows either keeping just one’s files or wiping everything), or a Refresh or Completely Clean Reinstall, both of which wipe everything.

My standard advice, in virtually all cases, (and presuming any potential infection has already been addressed, first) is trying the following, in the order specified. If the issue is fixed by option one then there's no need to go further. Stop whenever your issue is fixed:

1. Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

2. Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

3. Doing a completely clean reinstall:

a) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Download Win10 ISO File

b) Completely Clean Win10 (Re)install Using MCT to Create a Bootable USB Drive

I never choose the “thermonuclear option”, the completely clean reinstall, until it's clear that this is the only viable option. I hate having to go through all the work of reconfiguring a machine from scratch if that can reasonably and safely be avoided.

Reactions: Senbonzakura_miku
Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
it can't run the setup cause it doesn't have permission. Trustedinstaller is the user that is used to install everything. You shot windows in the head trying to fix it.

could try system restore, it might have a copy of the registry and permissions prior to these changes.

not sure 1 & 2 would help when its a permissions thing. removing the ability of trustedinstaller makes installing difficult. It was an admin account that made changes so install itself is the problem. Full reset might be all you need?

Reactions: Senbonzakura_miku

Senbonzakura_miku

Commendable
May 13, 2019
it can't run the setup cause it doesn't have permission. Trustedinstaller is the user that is used to install everything. You shot windows in the head trying to fix it.

could try system restore, it might have a copy of the registry and permissions prior to these changes.

not sure 1 & 2 would help when its a permissions thing. removing the ability of trustedinstaller makes installing difficult. It was an admin account that made changes so install itself is the problem. Full reset might be all you need?
The poor innocent Built-in .NET Framework was damaged by some Viruses.. I tried to repair it but no one worked because everytime the setup said version 4.8 or newer is already installed, and it still persists.
I don't think i removed Trustedinstaller's permission for all files, just for the .NET folder, because Nvidia's display driver still runs the setup without problem. Also the .NET folder still exists because some files was open in Windows explorer, and i didn't want to ruin the desktop.
About the full reset, doesn't [Reset this PC> Keep my files] solution work?
EDIT: no more setups can run!! Only some security and repair porpused and official packages run.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you keep files, it also keeps login info, it might remember your permission changes,and not fix anything really.

If you had a virus, clean install is actually the safest option as it makes sure the problem is actually gone. Without an extensive clean, there is no way to know if virus is gone otherwise

Senbonzakura_miku

Commendable
May 13, 2019
if you keep files, it also keeps login info, it might remember your permission changes,and not fix anything really.

If you had a virus, clean install is actually the safest option as it makes sure the problem is actually gone. Without an extensive clean, there is no way to know if virus is gone otherwise
I have everything backed up, i think i try the full clean as it's safest option, if none of @britechguy 's solutions didn't work or i didn't have time for them, I'll try resetting. Thank you for responsibility.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its also faster than trying all the other alternatives, Resets would still require reinstalling most of your programs, a clean install on new hardware takes 20 minutes or so, if all your info is on another hard drive, the only time you waste is installing a few applications to use them.

Senbonzakura_miku

Commendable
May 13, 2019
Its also faster than trying all the other alternatives, Resets would still require reinstalling most of your programs, a clean install on new hardware takes 20 minutes or so, if all your info is on another hard drive, the only time you waste is installing a few applications to use them.
That's right. Because of my talent at screwing System files, i always install my programs on another hardware. So i think i don't lose any important data if i eject the hardware and reset the windows-installed hard drive( That's an ssd).
And Thank you @Colif , for the great support.

USAFRet

Titan
That's right. Because of my talent at screwing System files, i always install my programs on another hardware. So i think i don't lose any important data if i eject the hardware and reset the windows-installed hard drive( That's an ssd).
And Thank you @Colif , for the great support.
After a full clean install, your programs will need to be reinstalled anyway.

USAFRet

Titan
Since last reset, not whole programs needed installation again.
Btw i have the packages too.
All depends on how you do this "reset".
That word is misused for various levels of redoing a Windows install.

Refresh
Reset
Reinstall
Clean install

Sadly, all used interchangeable, and incorrectly.

After a full wipe and reinstall, the new OS knows nothing about whatever applications you had installed previously, no matter what drive they live on.

Senbonzakura_miku

Commendable
May 13, 2019
All depends on how you do this "reset".
That word is misused for various levels of redoing a Windows install.

Refresh
Reset
Reinstall
Clean install

Sadly, all used interchangeable, and incorrectly.

After a full wipe and reinstall, the new OS knows nothing about whatever applications you had installed previously, no matter what drive they live on.
Good news! "Microsoft .NET" folder is back using "keep my files" option! Currently I'm reinstalling redists and directX, but the net framework didn't install because of the same error"4.8 or newer" is already installed. Now the built-in version isn't corrupted so i don't need to install/repair it again. I swear I'll never touch this folder again!