I don't know what else to do??????????????????????

Sigma

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2001
I was haveing a problem where when 4x is enabled in my bios, any 3d application would lock immediattely or shorly after. tryed a bunch of things. different drivers, moved cards around, took cards and components out, different miniport drivers and southbridge drivers, messed with the bios in everyway i can think of. and ultimetly ended up re-partitioning and re-formating my hard drive, only installed det drivers fresh. no other devices installed, no irq conflits at all, nothing sharing, again in 4x it locks up. i dont know wny this is happening, and i dont know what else i can do. system:

athlon 1.2gig@266

a7m266mob

pc2100 ddr ram 256mb

30gig deskstar ibm 75gpx

toshiba cd/dvd

plextor rewritable 10/12/32

leadtek winfast g2ultra w/tv out

sb live platinum

klipsh promedia speakers

fop 38 hs/fan (hooked up directly to power supply)

rear 80mm case fan

fron 40mm case fan

3com nic

win me

det. 6.50

direct x 8.0a

latest bios rev. 1004beta

updated graphics bios version 6

enermax 350watt power supply

external iomega 100mb zip drive

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
Have you tried enabling/disabling fast writes? Maybe you have a defective card. See if you can find another PC to test it in.

- Tempus fugit donec vestrum relictus tripudium. Autem amor praeterea magis pretium.

Sigma

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2001
I've tried that, it was working for a time,but then it stopped. and also with 4x enabled, fast writes disabled, direct 3d apps didn't run, with 2x enabled, fast writes enabled appss ran longer, just longer.

Sigma

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2001
did that when i re-partitioned and re-formatted. Basically just had the vid card with a clean install of det. drivers, no irq conflicts whatsoever. 3dapps still were crashing.

Sigma

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2001
what i do notice though is that the short time it does run,whethere its in 2x or 4x, the applications stutter, then during one of the stutters it just locks. Its almost as if theres a delay in the info the agp slot is receiving.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Are you saying that 2x mode crashes as well? Is DMA enabled on your hard drive? shouldn't make a difference here but trying to understand the stuttering. First off I would keep trouble shooting this with everything esle disconnected except the video card your hard drive and one cd-rom device. It may be a power supply issue.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

One small question for you. do you have a VIA based motherboard??? If you do, then you need to get the latest update from them which 4in1. In case it is not a VIA based motherboard, then look at your memory speed in BIOS. How is it set up to read. With the new DDR memory that you have you should the memory to set to maximum.

Example, I have an ABIT KT7A Motherboard. By default the Memory inside the BIOS was set to 8ns. I have made it Turbo, and my system works fine. At 8ns the frame rates are a disaster and sometimes crashes.

Furthermore, I also used to have Leadtek's GF2 32mb and had many problems with my games. I used to get images to break inside the game. I just replaced it with another GF 2 from Creative and boom the whole problem was gone. If you have tested the graphic card on another computer and it worked, then the problem lies nowhere but within your BIOS. Also, read carefully the manual of the motherboard it might have certain settings that you need to adjust.

It is my 2 cents and hope it helps in any way.

Sigma

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2001
I checked in device manager if dma was enabled on my harddrive and it wasn't, i enabled it. restarted the cpu, then ran 3d apps. and it worked fine. then restarted the computer again, and it suddenly stops working.

Sigma

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2001
i have amd761 chipset which is the amd 760 northbridge and the via 686 southbridge. i've installed the latest drivers or each. My system performance in my bios is set to turbo, and setting it to normal does nothing. my sdram configuration is set to [by spd],cas latency = [2.5t], ras precharche time = [3t], and sdram ras to cas delay = [3t]. Should i try setting these down to 2t. Also, should i try disabling power management.

Sigma

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2001
i've also noticed that if it doesn't crash it boots me back ot the desktop. what are some causes of cpu's booting you back to the desktop in a running application.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Take the cover off your case and set a small fan by it blowing directly into the the case. Lets totally rule out heat as the issue here ( though I doubt it is with your setup). Its odd, you make changes and they seem to help for awhile, then bam, back to where you were.

Sometimes, unchecking the "always on top" box in your desktop properties will aviod the crashes to desktop with some games. Give that a try as well.

Did you know that your chipset has a bug in it? The amd northbridge is fine, the problem lies with the via southbridge. there is a patch here: http://www.schneiderlawfirm.com/via_pci_latency_v010.zip

this is temporary until via comes out with there own patch.

Last but not least, you may want to venture over to amdzone.com and post a thread there, you will find more users with your motherboard and less flamers over there.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Sigma

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2001
i followed your suggestion and disconnected the rewritabele which didnt allow the cpu to detect the cd rom but thats fine didn't need it for this, also disconnected tthe fron and rear case fans, the case speaker and the live drive which is part of teh sblive platinum package. ran the benchmark and it worked for about 5 times in a row. i then restarted and it still worked multiple times. i shut the cpu down for 2 hours, thinking this is about the same as it being off all night then started and it still worked. I am still yet to reconnect everthing and see if it crashes which will confirm its a power issue. but i'm hoping it is, cause i am fine with these few non essentials shut down while i order up a 400+ power supply. any way thanks alot fo the help