Question I expect 100+ FPS increase with just 1 CPU upgrade, is this right?

PaPies

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2014
Hello.

So I've watched many videos on Youtube, comparing them to my performance and this is what I've come up with.

My main game is Dota 2, but I do play other games too, demanding games.

But there is one problem that I am having with my performance, especially on Dota 2, and I don't know if it's due to my CPU or what.

My specs are:
RTX 3080
i7 6700K 4.5Ghz
2133 XMP dual Channel 16GB
750W Gold Coolermaster.
Z170x Ultra-Gaming!

My concern is this, Videos on youtube with i7 9900K with an RTX 3080 have over 200FPS AVG, while I get an FPS AVG of like 80 on my BEST days!

How can a newer CPU really give me over 100 fps boost? I don't get it, it shouldn't, is there something WRONG with my setup that just doesn't have full potential or what's going on?

I seriously need help as I don't wanna spend around 800 dollars to get a new motherboard, new ram and new CPU.

I game on 1440p, I know the CPU is a bottleneck but I just can't get my head around having 100+ fps increase with such an upgrade. Thank you.

PaPies

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2014
A casual search online tells me the i7-6700K is capable in DotA 2 of getting at least 120 FPS at 1440p, with one instance of getting 200 FPS at 1080p. This to me tells me there's something with your computer that's causing the unexpectedly low performance.
That's what I am trying to figure out, what could it be?

A 9900K might have more cores, but those cores are not all that much faster, and the majority of today's applications and games (especially somewhat older games like DOTA 2) won't make much use of the extra cores. At stock settings, each core of a 9900K should only be around 20% faster than those of a 6700K, and with both processors overclocked, the performance difference would be even smaller. So, upgrading your CPU for DOTA might be a waste. And of course, that processor is not compatible with motherboards from that generation, so an upgrade would require a new motherboard as well.

And those frame rates do seem low for a game like that, when paired with such an overkill graphics card. Have you checked what temperatures your CPU and graphics card are hitting under load? It's possible one of them could be overheating and thermal-throttling.

It might be worth running the benchmark at UserBenchmark, and sharing a link to your results page here. That may provide an indication of what performance issue you are experiencing, if any...

PaPies

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2014
A 9900K might have more cores, but those cores are not all that much faster, and the majority of today's applications and games (especially somewhat older games like DOTA 2) won't make much use of the extra cores. At stock settings, each core of a 9900K should only be around 20% faster than those of a 6700K, and with both processors overclocked, the performance difference would be even smaller. So, upgrading your CPU for DOTA might be a waste. And of course, that processor is not compatible with motherboards from that generation, so an upgrade would require a new motherboard as well.

And those frame rates do seem low for a game like that, when paired with such an overkill graphics card. Have you checked what temperatures your CPU and graphics card are hitting under load? It's possible one of them could be overheating and thermal-throttling.

It might be worth running the benchmark at UserBenchmark, and sharing a link to your results page here. That may provide an indication of what performance issue you are experiencing, if any...

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37153056 (Note that I haven't Overclocked my GPU)

The temps are fine, here is max settings 1440p GTA 5 benchmark, don't look at the fps or anything, it's just for the temps. View: https://i.imgur.com/C3x24pP.png

PaPies

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2014
You should also make sure any old graphics card drivers are uninstalled before installing the new ones. Try Display Driver Uninstaller for removing any remnants of them, then reinstall with the latest drivers available from Nvidia's site...

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
A lot of people just go straight to DDU, it shouldn't be used like that without giving instructions first, it can't be safe all the time, and I've done it.