[SOLVED] I get 200 Down, 100 Up on Wi-Fi and get Horrible Lag spikes while in multiplayer games

Horsetrcker

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
So I have a fiber connection and as said in the title I get 200 down 100 up on a Wi-Fi connection and I get a pretty good 30 ping in most games when it's not spiking to around 100-200 for about 5 seconds on average and then goes back down. However, I've noticed a pattern across all games I play. Every time there is a graphically "demanding" fight or any part of a multiplayer game that is demanding on my PC, my ping spikes across all games (but for some reason is spikes way worse in Fortnite). Yes, I am well versed enough to know the difference between dropping frames or getting screen tearing and ping spikes or packet loss. But speaking of packet loss it's always at 0-1% even when my ping is spiking. One last thing when I've noticed lag spikes I've looked in the network section of my resource monitor and the game is the only thing using my connection by a long shot. I've been doing a ton of research about this and can't find anyone else with the same problem so any suggestions help.

Specs:
Ryzen 3700X
GTX 1050ti (Ik cant find a graphics card for cheap)
500W power supply
Asus PCE-AC56 (plus I have the antenna like on a 3ft cable so I could get it higher)

Also pretty much tried all of the "quick" fixes that you try when you have a problem and you're researching it

Solution
No I mean windows update decides to run while you are playing the game itself. You can tell it to only install updates during certain hours but it still will decide to go and check and I think download stuff. I have had to kill off the processes on more than one occasion when I saw lag spikes.

You really have to decide how much time you want to spend chasing stuff compare to temporarily moving the PC to see if you need to troubleshoot wifi or other stuff. There are so many possibilities and the wifi itself is hard to fix.

The only real fix for wifi and games is not to use wifi. Consider MoCA if you have coax cable or powerline networks. Still before you spend money you want to be sure the problem really is the wifi.
So did you try the most common quick fix and use a ethernet cable to test. This will quickly eliminate or implicate the wifi.

This is a extremely common wifi problem with games but can be caused by many other things. Windows update for example will do that to some of my games even though I have update set to only run at night.

If it is wifi it is not easy to fix. The most likely cause is interference from outside your house.

Horsetrcker

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
I would make sure you're using the WIFi driver from asus's website and not the standard windows drivers. Drivers automatically matched by Microsoft can have issues like this.
Yes I am, I have also tried reinstalling the drivers because I already had the latest ones and the issue still remains :(

Horsetrcker

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
So did you try the most common quick fix and use a ethernet cable to test. This will quickly eliminate or implicate the wifi.

This is a extremely common wifi problem with games but can be caused by many other things. Windows update for example will do that to some of my games even though I have update set to only run at night.

If it is wifi it is not easy to fix. The most likely cause is interference from outside your house.
You're probably right about it being interference because of how my house is laid out but testing ethernet isn't an option because I can't move my pc. Also, This problem has remained across at least 7 or 8 windows updates, I don't know if that's what you meant but this has been a problem for a while.

To determine if this is truly a network connection issue, or a system bottleneck. Did you try turning all your graphics settings to pure doo doo mode? Everything set to the lowest possible graphics so you get 130+ fps average? Then try a few rounds to see if tha latency spikes.

Horsetrcker

Commendable
Dec 2, 2019
To determine if this is truly a network connection issue, or a system bottleneck. Did you try turning all your graphics settings to pure doo doo mode? Everything set to the lowest possible graphics so you get 130+ fps average? Then try a few rounds to see if tha latency spikes.
Yeah I've tried in most of my games to chuck everything on the lowest setting and see if it helps but it doesn't really help, I mean maybe sometimes I see a slight increase in average ping but overall i'm still having the really bad spikes. (like unplayable until they're gone)

No I mean windows update decides to run while you are playing the game itself. You can tell it to only install updates during certain hours but it still will decide to go and check and I think download stuff. I have had to kill off the processes on more than one occasion when I saw lag spikes.

You really have to decide how much time you want to spend chasing stuff compare to temporarily moving the PC to see if you need to troubleshoot wifi or other stuff. There are so many possibilities and the wifi itself is hard to fix.

The only real fix for wifi and games is not to use wifi. Consider MoCA if you have coax cable or powerline networks. Still before you spend money you want to be sure the problem really is the wifi.

Reactions: gggplaya
Solution