Question I had to push the 16-pin connector unusually hard in order to get power ?

rodmanii

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
GPU: MSI 4070 Ti Super

Is that normal? i dont think i ever needed to push any kind of connector into any port with the same force in order for it to be properly connected, i needed to push it to the point i fear damaging the card, my fingers end up hurting a little bit, it looks like if there was even an small gap then the card wouldnt get any power, it took me several hours of testing the PSU in order to realize the card wast simply connected properly, thats why i found it to be so odd, has anyone else has a similar experience?

Is that normal? i dont think i ever needed to push any kind of connector into any port with the same force in order for it to be properly connected, i needed to push it to the point i fear damaging the card, my fingers end up hurting a little bit, it looks like if there was even an small gap then the card wouldnt get any power, it took me several hours of testing the PSU in order to realize the card wast simply connected properly, thats why i found it to be so odd, did anyone else has a similar experience?

i personally havent had this issue with a 4070 Super. Are you using an adapter, they are cheaply made.

Tolerances stack up and you can get minor compatibility issues in rare cases. In any case the connector was redesigned to not power-on unless fully inserted so that part is normal.

600w is a lot to go through such a small connector, and when it still worked while not fully plugged in, that led to a whole lot of melted cables and connectors. Hence the redesign. Now it only melts for other reasons but not that.

rodmanii

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
Tolerances stack up and you can get minor compatibility issues in rare cases. In any case the connector was redesigned to not power-on unless fully inserted so that part is normal.

600w is a lot to go through such a small connector, and when it still worked while not fully plugged in, that led to a whole lot of melted cables and connectors. Hence the redesign. Now it only melts for other reasons but not that.
that explains a lot, thank you