Question I have 10Gbps internet, but my computer is only getting 2.1Gbps ?

HBOW

Reputable
Mar 1, 2021
I have purchased 10Gbps internet speed, which have been verified by me and an ISP technician at my house. The first question I usually get is if I actually purchased or have the speeds, so please bear with me as it's in the details below... but yes I do have these available speeds.

As such, I purchased and installed TP-Link TX401 (Hardware Version: V1.6; Update Firmware: 3.1.8) onto my motherboard's PCIx16_3 slot, which is technically my motherboard's 4th PCI slot.

My PC setup is as follows:
-Case: TT H700
-Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (onboard LAN only handles 2.5Gbps)
-RAM: TT Toughram 4000mhz (set to 3800; 1900 FLCK)
-CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
-AIO for CPU: TT Toughliquid 360
-GPU: Sapphire Nitro 7900 XTX
-Boot drive: WD NVMe installed on the M.2_1 port of motherboard
-PSU: TT Toughpower RGB P1 850W
-All drivers are up to date

Network Setup:

-10Gbps connected from wall via CAT8 to TP-Link AXE300 to PC using Asus Crosshair VIII Hero Gaming X570 Plus motherboard
-Cable - using the one provided in the TX401 box, but also tried others (cat8 and cat6)
-No VPN

Adjustments attempted to correct speed issue:
-Turned Norton AV off to test speed
-Adjusted Advanced network card settings to the following:
-Energy-Efficient Ethernet - DISABLED
-Flow Control - Rx & Tx Enabled
-Large Send Offload V1 & V2 (IPv4) - DISABLED
-Large Send Offload V2 (IPv6) - DISABLED
-Link Speed - 10G
-Speed & Duplex - 10GBPS FULL DUPLEX
- TCP/UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4) - DISABLED

During the ISP Technician visit:
-tested connection from wall to technician's external network card with thunderbolt adapter getting 8-9 gbps upload and download.
-tested connection via my TP-Link AXE300 Router to his own thunderbolt adapter getting 8gbps down and 8 gbps down
-tested on my pc - direct to wall - 2.1gbps down and 2.1gbps up
-tested on my pc - via router - 2.1gpbs down and 2.1gbps up
-tested ISP technician's ethernet cable on my PC direct to wall and also through router
-during low-traffic time during the day I might get 2.1gbps down and 4.8gbps upload speeds
-the only thing we didn't test is the ISP technician's thunderbolt external network card onto my PC

TP-Link Support simply recommended trying another 10gbps card to see if that's the issue. For now, I've ordered the Asus 10gpbs network card which I should be able to pick up tomorrow.

I am merely a PC enthusiast who has built his own computers over the years. But this bleeds into the network side and the nuanced balance between the two. I am respectfully pleading for any help, as it would be much appreciated. Any time I get help on very nuanced issues, I only share the information on other forums and my social circles. So you'd not only be helping me, but anyone I divulge the information to as well.

I just got stationed in Japan, so the ONLY ISP is Allied Telesis. But I love helping my younger troops with PC stuff, so if you can help my navigate through this - you'd be helping a community of gamers on this side of the globe.

Thank you in advance!

Ralston18

Titan
-10Gbps connected from wall via CAT8 to TP-Link AXE300 to PC using Asus Crosshair VIII Hero Gaming X570 Plus motherboard

CAT-8 cable: Non-spec as I understand such things and likely fake cable.

On your computer run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Copy and paste the full results into your next post.

My PC setup is as follows:
-Case: TT H700
-Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (onboard LAN only handles 2.5Gbps)
Of course, is absolutly normal, 2.1 out of 2.5 i say it is more then ok, you want full 10 gbps, buy a 10 gbps network card and add it in the pc, connect your router to it and voila, full 10 gbps (well you never achieve max theoretical, between 8 and 9 realisticaly speaking). Your current onboard network is only 2.5 gbps so you will never achieve more then that. How i said, want full 10 gbps on your pc, buy a 10 gbps network card and put it in a pcie capable of more then 10 gbps. You also have the option to buy a usb rj45 network card but you need a 10gbps USB port and the card must be capable of 10 gbps.

EDIT: I see your motherboard has 2 PCIE slots which supports full 10gbps NIC. I mean has 2 PCIE slots conected to chipset not cpu, you dont want to use the second slot conected to the cpu, you will cripple a bit your gpu, it will go in 8x mode instead of 16x.

Last edited: