Question I have 10Gbps internet, but my computer is only getting 2.1Gbps ?

HBOW

Reputable
Mar 1, 2021
I have purchased 10Gbps internet speed, which have been verified by me and an ISP technician at my house. The first question I usually get is if I actually purchased or have the speeds, so please bear with me as it's in the details below... but yes I do have these available speeds.

As such, I purchased and installed TP-Link TX401 (Hardware Version: V1.6; Update Firmware: 3.1.8) onto my motherboard's PCIx16_3 slot, which is technically my motherboard's 4th PCI slot.

My PC setup is as follows:
-Case: TT H700
-Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (onboard LAN only handles 2.5Gbps)
-RAM: TT Toughram 4000mhz (set to 3800; 1900 FLCK)
-CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
-AIO for CPU: TT Toughliquid 360
-GPU: Sapphire Nitro 7900 XTX
-Boot drive: WD NVMe installed on the M.2_1 port of motherboard
-PSU: TT Toughpower RGB P1 850W
-All drivers are up to date

Network Setup:

-10Gbps connected from wall via CAT8 to TP-Link AXE300 to PC using Asus Crosshair VIII Hero Gaming X570 Plus motherboard
-Cable - using the one provided in the TX401 box, but also tried others (cat8 and cat6)
-No VPN

Adjustments attempted to correct speed issue:
-Turned Norton AV off to test speed
-Adjusted Advanced network card settings to the following:
-Energy-Efficient Ethernet - DISABLED
-Flow Control - Rx & Tx Enabled
-Large Send Offload V1 & V2 (IPv4) - DISABLED
-Large Send Offload V2 (IPv6) - DISABLED
-Link Speed - 10G
-Speed & Duplex - 10GBPS FULL DUPLEX
- TCP/UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4) - DISABLED

During the ISP Technician visit:
-tested connection from wall to technician's external network card with thunderbolt adapter getting 8-9 gbps upload and download.
-tested connection via my TP-Link AXE300 Router to his own thunderbolt adapter getting 8gbps down and 8 gbps down
-tested on my pc - direct to wall - 2.1gbps down and 2.1gbps up
-tested on my pc - via router - 2.1gpbs down and 2.1gbps up
-tested ISP technician's ethernet cable on my PC direct to wall and also through router
-during low-traffic time during the day I might get 2.1gbps down and 4.8gbps upload speeds
-the only thing we didn't test is the ISP technician's thunderbolt external network card onto my PC

TP-Link Support simply recommended trying another 10gbps card to see if that's the issue. For now, I've ordered the Asus 10gpbs network card which I should be able to pick up tomorrow.

I am merely a PC enthusiast who has built his own computers over the years. But this bleeds into the network side and the nuanced balance between the two. I am respectfully pleading for any help, as it would be much appreciated. Any time I get help on very nuanced issues, I only share the information on other forums and my social circles. So you'd not only be helping me, but anyone I divulge the information to as well.

I just got stationed in Japan, so the ONLY ISP is Allied Telesis. But I love helping my younger troops with PC stuff, so if you can help my navigate through this - you'd be helping a community of gamers on this side of the globe.

Thank you in advance!

Ralston18

Titan
-10Gbps connected from wall via CAT8 to TP-Link AXE300 to PC using Asus Crosshair VIII Hero Gaming X570 Plus motherboard

CAT-8 cable: Non-spec as I understand such things and likely fake cable.

On your computer run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Copy and paste the full results into your next post.

My PC setup is as follows:
-Case: TT H700
-Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (onboard LAN only handles 2.5Gbps)
Of course, is absolutly normal, 2.1 out of 2.5 i say it is more then ok, you want full 10 gbps, buy a 10 gbps network card and add it in the pc, connect your router to it and voila, full 10 gbps (well you never achieve max theoretical, between 8 and 9 realisticaly speaking). Your current onboard network is only 2.5 gbps so you will never achieve more then that. How i said, want full 10 gbps on your pc, buy a 10 gbps network card and put it in a pcie capable of more then 10 gbps. You also have the option to buy a usb rj45 network card but you need a 10gbps USB port and the card must be capable of 10 gbps.

EDIT: I see your motherboard has 2 PCIE slots which supports full 10gbps NIC. I mean has 2 PCIE slots conected to chipset not cpu, you dont want to use the second slot conected to the cpu, you will cripple a bit your gpu, it will go in 8x mode instead of 16x.

Last edited:
The optimum cable to use a cat6a. Most real cat8 cables are only sold from equipment resellers that also sell equipment that can do 40g or 100gbit. The vast majority of so called cat8 cables that a general consumer can buy are fakes. Then again at very short distance pretty much any cable can do 10g.

I will point out the obvious but you do have the cable plugged into the tplink board and not your motherboard.

Is there a way you can see how many pcie lanes the nic card is getting and what the type of pcie it has. This is unlikely the issue even older pcie3 with just a x1 lane can get about 8gbit.

Where are you testing to. Where these the same sites you tested to when the ISP was there. Could be the server on the internet that is limit. Does your router itself have the ability to do a speedtest.

The problem with fast internet, even 1gbit, the server companies don't like you. They place artificial limits on the downloads to prevent a small number of users from using all their bandwidth.
The best site I have found to test real downloads is microsoft. They have huge bandwidth and do not seem to limit it but I have never tried a 10gbit connection.

The optimum cable to use a cat6a. Most real cat8 cables are only sold from equipment resellers that also sell equipment that can do 40g or 100gbit. The vast majority of so called cat8 cables that a general consumer can buy are fakes. Then again at very short distance pretty much any cable can do 10g.

I will point out the obvious but you do have the cable plugged into the tplink board and not your motherboard.

Is there a way you can see how many pcie lanes the nic card is getting and what the type of pcie it has. This is unlikely the issue even older pcie3 with just a x1 lane can get about 8gbit.

Where are you testing to. Where these the same sites you tested to when the ISP was there. Could be the server on the internet that is limit. Does your router itself have the ability to do a speedtest.

The problem with fast internet, even 1gbit, the server companies don't like you. They place artificial limits on the downloads to prevent a small number of users from using all their bandwidth.
The best site I have found to test real downloads is microsoft. They have huge bandwidth and do not seem to limit it but I have never tried a 10gbit connection.
All his PCIes are 4.0, the card gets plenty of bandwidth, i just saw now he bought one. One way to check the databandwidth si to go to network settinsgs and check the speed conected, it must show 1gbps, 10gbps or 100 mbps