[SOLVED] I have 1gb/s but get 100mb down 800mb up

Apr 17, 2020
I just recently got 1gb/s internet speed on fiver optic lines hooked up at the house...and I am hardlined in on my PC. My router isn't the greatest but it should is capable on wired connections of supporting 1gb/s speeds... But my PC is only getting 130 mb download and over 750 mb/s upload speed....I have tried everything I can think of except a full wipe and restore. I really would rather not deal with getting the 10 tb worth of stuff back on my PC.... Any ideas why my PC is throttling it? Because my phone on the wifi alone gets about 350 Down... Which ove

Solution
But as far as booting from a Linux live USB I've never once messed with Linux ..but I will do a little research on how to obtain a Linux live USB and what it is...( I'm sure it's like my windows USB I made)
Yep, pretty much like your windows usb except it's a live OS that runs from memory and won't touch your hard drive. Here's the one I would use:
https://spi.dod.mil/docs/TENS-3.0.1_public.iso

and then write to your usb using rufus:

RealBeast

Titan
I just recently got 1gb/s internet speed on fiver optic lines hooked up at the house...and I am hardlined in on my PC. My router isn't the greatest but it should is capable on wired connections of supporting 1gb/s speeds... But my PC is only getting 130 mb download and over 750 mb/s upload speed....I have tried everything I can think of except a full wipe and restore. I really would rather not deal with getting the 10 tb worth of stuff back on my PC.... Any ideas why my PC is throttling it? Because my phone on the wifi alone gets about 350 Down... Which ove
First check your router -- from one of the computers go to the gateway address. Depending on the router, it will be in different locations, but check to see what the router ports are set at -- I recently noted that my WAN port was only set to 100Mbps while all LAN ports are 1Gpbs although it is a gigabit port because my cable modem is only good to 150Mbps (per my ISP page due to THEIR technology) even though the modem specs say it supports 340Mbps.

TL;DR What router model? And check that your modem and router WAN are both running at gigabit.

If your phone is getting 350 down on wifi, it's not your router. I initially suspected it to be a duplex issue, but you're getting over 100Mbps down so that's not it.

Let's rule out a hardware or network issue by booting with a linux live cd/usb and running some speed tests there. If you're okay under linux, then it's purely a windows issue, probably related to their 'optimizer' which I have seen cause issues on threads here in the past.

Apr 17, 2020
First check your router -- from one of the computers go to the gateway address. Depending on the router, it will be in different locations, but check to see what the router ports are set at -- I recently noted that my WAN port was only set to 100Mbps while all LAN ports are 1Gpbs although it is a gigabit port because my cable modem is only good to 150Mbps (per my ISP page due to THEIR technology) even though the modem specs say it supports 340Mbps.

TL;DR What router model? And check that your modem and router WAN are both running at gigabit.
It is a dlink dir-868L
If your phone is getting 350 down on wifi, it's not your router. I initially suspected it to be a duplex issue, but you're getting over 100Mbps down so that's not it.

Let's rule out a hardware or network issue by booting with a linux live cd/usb and running some speed tests there. If you're okay under linux, then it's purely a windows issue, probably related to their 'optimizer' which I have seen cause issues on threads here in the past.
Well router is a dlink dir-868L ... Not a great one..but it's supposed to be able to handle gig speeds...which I'm clearly reaching, at least close enough for me to be happy with the over 750 mb upload speed on my PC....
But as far as booting from a Linux live USB I've never once messed with Linux ..but I will do a little research on how to obtain a Linux live USB and what it is...( I'm sure it's like my windows USB I made)

Yep, pretty much like your windows usb except it's a live OS that runs from memory and won't touch your hard drive. Here's the one I would use:

Solution
Apr 17, 2020
ok

ok. so i have it flashed on a drive now. but as i have no idea where to go or what do in linux,...could you please elaborrae on exactly what i am looking up when i boot through linux. and how to get to it.

...this is suck a pain in butt problem....i got like 750 upload speed...but the download is still maxing at 150 on my pc. 350 down 175 up on cell phone too...i cut the router ot completely and plugged the line my isp has coming in home directly into pc....minuscule change still....son it has to be some windows setting somewhere

RealBeast

Titan
Okay so you did not get a real improvement with a direct link computer to modem.

That leaves two potential issues (other than Windows and that is the last thing to test as it is the most complex and you are getting decent upload speed): modem or ISP. What model is your modem and who is your ISP? Did they provide the modem, if not is it on their recommended list?

ok

ok. so i have it flashed on a drive now. but as i have no idea where to go or what do in linux,...could you please elaborrae on exactly what i am looking up when i boot through linux. and how to get to it.
Once you boot the linux usb, use the browser to do a speed test just like you've done before. You should get the full download here. If not, it's potentially a hardware issue with the nic.