Question I have a problem with fortnite textures not loading at 120 fps and above

Prezaz

Prominent
Apr 19, 2020
I bought my PC around 6 or 7 months ago for Fortnite and from the beginning I had a few FPS drops here and there but nothing major. I play on the lowest settings except for the render distance being maxed. Over time, the FPS drops have gotten more frequent and more severe. A few months ago I could run it capped at 144 and have it mostly be stable with the occasional drop to 60-100. But now the textures never load in and the game is basically unplayable, it drops to 5-30 fps every few minutes and constantly hitches in almost every fight.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game, updating my graphics drivers, editing the command lines from the Fortnite launcher. Also have tried setting textures from low to high, capping and uncapping my fps, disabling and reenabling multithread rendering, and nothing has helped. My friend has the exact same setup and while he experiences fps drops too, they're not nearly as bad or as frequent as mine. And when we play Fortnite together, I get stuck on the loading screens for at least twice as long as he does. I don't play any other games so I can't test how anything else runs. If anyone has any ideas of how to fix this I would be very grateful

I did a benchmark test and these were the results https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/26882064

8 GB of RAM is now a quite minimal amount, and , the i5-7400 should run about 3100 or 3200 MHz with all four cores loaded... (HWMonitor will show what clock speeds are running and what temps are being hit to make sure there is no thermal throttling occurring; CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU can induce a semi-heavy /gaming-equivalent load to allow observation of the processors behavior under a load.

I'd check task manager and process explorer to make sure nothing extra is running that might be stealing resources needed for the game. A quick run with Malwarebytes never hurt in case some malware hitched a ride.

If it is just a botched driver or WIndows update that occurred, or errant game patch, then perhaps a quick wipe/reload/reinstall of OS with drivers and game might cure it.

Reactions: Prezaz

Prezaz

Prominent
Apr 19, 2020
8 GB of RAM is now a quite minimal amount, and , the i5-7400 should run about 3100 or 3200 MHz with all four cores loaded... (HWMonitor will show what clock speeds are running and what temps are being hit to make sure there is no thermal throttling occurring; CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU can induce a semi-heavy /gaming-equivalent load to allow observation of the processors behavior under a load.

I'd check task manager and process explorer to make sure nothing extra is running that might be stealing resources needed for the game. A quick run with Malwarebytes never hurt in case some malware hitched a ride.

If it is just a botched driver or WIndows update that occurred, or errant game patch, then perhaps a quick wipe/reload/reinstall of OS with drivers and game might cure it.
Thanks very much for the quick reply, so should i reinstall windows and the drivers? it says that my cpu is under performing massively so what could i do to fix the cpu not running to its expectations?