Question I have a Seasonic Focus Platinum 550w - would that be enough for a 6800XT? is anyone running a 6800XT with a 550W PSU?

mossi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
I currently have a 6700XT on the same Seasonic Focus Platinum 550w and have been running it without problems.
Might check again the power draw on the whole rig but I wanted to see if there was anyone running a 6800XT with a decent 550W PSU.
The TDP difference seems roughly 70W which I think the PSU can take on.
I'm thinking about upgrading to a 6800XT but ideally I don't want to buy a new PSU at the same time.
Casual gamer here.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Personally, I wouldn't recommend using anything under a quality 750w PSU with the 6800XT. Why take the risk? GPUs are still expensive and when PSUs fail, they often take other components with them.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Focus Plus Platinum or Focus PX? The first has shutdown issues with a 6800 XT and other GPUs.

Yeah, crappy units with lack of protections. The SS Focus is not part of that category.
Typically, no they don't. However, still not worth the risk.

Good reminder of the first point. I lived through that very issue when I had my 6900XT and Seasonic PSU (PX-850W)

I have used and recommended many Seasonic PSUs (one in use right now in one of my rigs). As --SID-- pointed out, there are some well documented issues with some Seasonic PSUs and RX 68xx/RX69xx series GPUs.

For me, popped up during the worst of COVID and I ended up, first, with a Silverstone and then Corsair PSU to mitigate the problem. There are similar issues with the high-end RTX 3080/3080Ti/3090 GPUs.