I have a UPS, but some of the things i need to connect have big wide connectors that interfere with my available UPS outputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2014
I apologize in advance if my wording was not exact.

I have a Cyberpower UPS that is connected directly to the wall, I can't find the exact model at the time, but I think it's the previous model before this one (https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/intelligent-lcd/cp1500avrlcd/) or this one (https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/pfc-sinewave/cp1500pfclcd/)

it has 1500va and I can connect 5 devices that can use the battery if the lights go out, and 5 other devices that cannot use the battery when the lights go out. I work at home for the moment, I have 3 monitors, a Desktop Computer (for gaming too), an IP phone, and a hotspot that I use in case the lights go out I can keep working for a bit, at that point I shut down everything and keep working on a laptop so the battery lasts me a while for the hotspot.

my problem, or rather question, is that some device's connectors are too big, and can take some space that makes connecting other cables at the back of the UPS a tight fit, is it safe to use these types of cables to connect my other devices? "[UL Listed] Miady Short Power Extension Cord Outlet Saver, 16AWG/13A, 3 Prong (4 Pack, Black, 8 Inch)"

here is the amazon link for the cables just in case: (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H9LPFDB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

The desktop power cable plugs just fine, it's the other devices that give me a hard time because they make the connectors so big and wide and just takes space from the next power source on the back of the UPS.

You should NEVER use power strips or extentions of any kind with a UPS.
Curious though as to why?
I myself have been using one with a UPS for the past 4 years, no issues.
Afaik, as long as you don't exceed the load capacity of your UPS and your Power strip/extension it should be good.

Aug 21, 2014
what I understand with regards to plugging things into the UPS, is that you should not use devices like power strips because the UPS can overload, since the Powerstrip has electronics that can protect devices when a surge hits, but that same electronic part can mess with the UPS big time, I asked about these cables in particular since it doesn't serve the purpose of protecting equipment "in the event of", it only moves the current from the UPS to the device that needs power and offers no surge protection.

since the Powerstrip has electronics that can protect devices when a surge hits, but that same electronic part can mess with the UPS big time

Interesting.

I had thought that a UPS would handle the surge protection feature since it is connected directly to the wall socket and so, if your power strip has a surge protection - it would "never be used", rendering it still safe to use.

If that is true then, I would most certainly be limited with only the sockets at the UPS.
I think though that my power strip does not have a surge protector built in.

Apart from that, I understand also that you can't plug in devices that draws electricity in pulses to the UPS such as a hair dryer or laser printer

Status
Not open for further replies.