[SOLVED] I have moved to a new house that I believe have come with ethernet wiring.

Dec 24, 2019
I moved in to a new place recently. Bought a PC and noticed that the whole house is ethernet wired (ethernet ports in each bedroom and living room). I looked around in the garage and found a panel. My plan was to connect the main router (my router is a 2 in 1 modem and router rented from Shaw) to the panel downstairs and use a wifi range extender in the living room so we can still use the wifi for the house.

I don't know how to connect the Shaw router to the panel.

Solution
You need to place a switch in the panel and then connect wires to all the jacks. The signal will use the coax to get to the remote room where the modem/router is and then use the ethernet cable on a lan port to come back to the panel and connect to the rest of the house. The router does not have to go into the panel unless you want it to ....or if you do not have a ethernet port near the router going back.
That's a nice big panel! :p You hardly see them this nice in the places I've lived.

Okay so is the Shaw unit a cable modem? If so, you see that little thing that's got 5 cable wires connected to it? It will be connected there.

But how to connect it depends on if you've got television or anything else that you have connected to the cable jacks in the rooms of the house. Once you answer that, we can proceed.

Reactions: Richardson Technub
Dec 24, 2019
That's a nice big panel! :p You hardly see them this nice in the places I've lived.

Okay so is the Shaw unit a cable modem? If so, you see that little thing that's got 5 cable wires connected to it? It will be connected there.

But how to connect it depends on if you've got television or anything else that you have connected to the cable jacks in the rooms of the house. Once you answer that, we can proceed.

I do have a TV, I have 1 white cable connected to the Shaw router thingy and 1 white cable connected to the cable box ( I think it's a cable box) those 2 white cable connect to a splitter which is then connected to the wall (image to help?)

You need to place a switch in the panel and then connect wires to all the jacks. The signal will use the coax to get to the remote room where the modem/router is and then use the ethernet cable on a lan port to come back to the panel and connect to the rest of the house. The router does not have to go into the panel unless you want it to ....or if you do not have a ethernet port near the router going back.

Solution
Dec 24, 2019

I understand this completely. I can buy a switch and more ethernet cables

But it just sounds so easy

I have an ethernet cable behind the router. Il try this out. Sounds much simpler than moving the whole router downstairs. I didn't know switches can bounce the signal back.

I do have a TV, I have 1 white cable connected to the Shaw router thingy and 1 white cable connected to the cable box ( I think it's a cable box) those 2 white cable connect to a splitter which is then connected to the wall (image to help?)
Interesting. So the picture you posted of the cable modem/router and the shaw television box--are they both where you would like them to be ideally?

The reason I ask is because I don't think you'll have to move them if you have an ethernet jack nearby. :)

I understand this completely. I can buy a switch and more ethernet cables

But it just sounds so easy

I have an ethernet cable behind the router. Il try this out. Sounds much simpler than moving the whole router downstairs. I didn't know switches can bounce the signal back.
Yep, that's why I was asking the question I just did. If everything is where you like it, and there is a jack that you can connect to a router LAN port, then that will give you a connection back to the panel. When you connect all the ports to the switch, the switch repeats the signal to all the other ports (hence they were originally called repeaters or hubs). It sounds simple because it truly is. :)