[SOLVED] I have three fans, how to place them for best performance?

emirkir

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
Hi.
It's my first pc build and I have three fans, I read that it's best to have even amount of fans, but now I have three.
Where should I place them and do I have two intake or two exhaust (+ 1 of the opposite)?
The fans I have is two 120mm Fractal Design Dynamic GP-12 @ 1200 RPM and one Deepcool Stock-fan which came with my Deepcool D-Shield v2.
Every fan has 3-pin connection. The case has room for two fans in front, two on top and one in the back. (The Deepcool-fan is pre-mounted in the back already).

EDIT: The case I have is Deepcool D-Shield v2: http://www.deepcool.com/product/case/2017-12/9_7447.shtml

So, the question is: Where should I place the fans and do I have more of exhaust or intake? Or should I buy another fan/remove one?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Two in front for intake, one in back for exhaust. It's the traditional setup, tried and true. Normally keeps positive pressure, which is a good thing.

emirkir

Reputable
Apr 26, 2019
Got it, positive air is the way to go then.
Thank you!
FYI, the case supports 3x120 fans at the front so you can have all three fans as intake push air into the case.
It won't support three fans when I have Optical Disc Drive installed, otherwise you're right.

Skpstr

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
Two in the front for intake and one in the rear as exhaust. FYI, the case supports 3x120 fans at the front so you can have all three fans as intake push air into the case.

I have a related question. I started with a front intake, and a rear and two top exhausts. I maxed at °73 with a 2700X running Cinebench. Since I had a spare fan, just for fun, I added an intake to the bottom. Made no difference.q

If I ditch one of the top exhaust fans, is it possible I'd lower the temps? I'm ok with the temps as is, but I figure cooler is always better.

I would have used 2 front intakes, but the case only supports one.