[SOLVED] I is it okay to leave psu switch on while mains electricity is cut?

tmxtom

Honorable
May 13, 2018
Hello, recently have had to have some work done on the house meaning we've had to have electricians etc. In that time ,the power has probably been cut about 3-5 times or so, my pc has been off each time but it has been plugged into a surge protector with the power supply switch at the back flipped on. Is that okay? PSU is corsair RM850 and I live in the UK, any help appreciated ,thanks.

Ralston18

Titan
Probably okay - however, I would err on the side of caution.

Meaning power off and unplug electronics in general.

I do so when bad weather (storms) are coming and likewise when electrical repairs and/or changes are being made.

One never knows when sparks will literally fly......⚡⚡⚡

Hello, recently have had to have some work done on the house meaning we've had to have electricians etc. In that time ,the power has probably been cut about 3-5 times or so, my pc has been off each time but it has been plugged into a surge protector with the power supply switch at the back flipped on. Is that okay? PSU is corsair RM850 and I live in the UK, any help appreciated ,thanks.
Yes its perfectly fine. Switching that small switch on the back on/off multiple time will make it loose. I always keep it on and when I am not at home or I am doing some electrical work I just keep the mains cable disconnected.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
It's ok
If anything were to fail the fuse on the plug would protect the strip, unless it's been replaced with tinfoil or a paperclip.

But you should just unplug it when you're not using it.