Question I just bought a used Ryzen 5 3600, good FPS but game feels a bit choppy ?

emptyvee

Honorable
Apr 10, 2016
Hey guys,
(Specs below)
This is my first time posting on here. I've been a PC gamer for about 15 years and never really got into PC parts before recently. I bought a used computer 2 years ago and everything was fine. Few days ago, I bought an used Ryzen 5 3600 on FB marketplace to replace my Ryzen 5 1600. I installed it with the help of my friend. Everything seemed ok. I launched Valorant, started playing, noticed that my FPS was where I wanted it to be, pretty much at 200 fps constantly but then I felt choppiness when I was peeking angles and just moving around. I felt sick in my stomach, this is mostly why I decided to write to you guys for advice.

I have downloaded the latest chipset drivers using https://www.amd.com/en/support
I have tried so many things to fix the issue but nothing seems to be working. I am at lost right now.
My power plan is at High performance, my monitor is set to 165hz in windows and in Nvidia settings.

In my Registry Editor, there's 2 AMDRyzenMasterDriver, V13 and V19. Could that be the issue or this is one stupid question? Do I need to delete one of the 2? Also, is it recommended to go into my BIOS and Load Optimized Default settings? I ran Cinebench R23 without any programs running in the background (Beside CPUID HWMonitor) to keep an eye on the temperature. I got a score of 8.8k which is I think what is it supposed to be at. One last thing, my GPU drivers are up to date.
Let me know if you guys have any idea, it would make me feel a little bit better about my purchase !

GPU: GTX 1070
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
PSU: Evga 550w gold modular
RAM : 2x16gb corsair vengeance (activated XMP in my bios) running at 3200MHz
Mobo ga-ab350-gaming 3
256gb m.2 xpg 2-3gb/s (No idea if it's worth mentioning)

Let me know if you need any additional information. Thanks !

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,
(Specs below)
This is my first time posting on here. I've been a PC gamer for about 15 years and never really got into PC parts before recently. I bought a used computer 2 years ago and everything was fine. Few days ago, I bought an used Ryzen 5 3600 on FB marketplace to replace my Ryzen 5 1600. I installed it with the help of my friend. Everything seemed ok. I launched Valorant, started playing, noticed that my FPS was where I wanted it to be, pretty much at 200 fps constantly but then I felt choppiness when I was peeking angles and just moving around. I felt sick in my stomach, this is mostly why I decided to write to you guys for advice.

I have downloaded the latest chipset drivers using https://www.amd.com/en/support
I have tried so many things to fix the issue but nothing seems to be working. I am at lost right now.
My power plan is at High performance, my monitor is set to 165hz in windows and in Nvidia settings.

In my Registry Editor, there's 2 AMDRyzenMasterDriver, V13 and V19. Could that be the issue or this is one stupid question? Do I need to delete one of the 2? Also, is it recommended to go into my BIOS and Load Optimized Default settings? I ran Cinebench R23 without any programs running in the background (Beside CPUID HWMonitor) to keep an eye on the temperature. I got a score of 8.8k which is I think what is it supposed to be at. One last thing, my GPU drivers are up to date.
Let me know if you guys have any idea, it would make me feel a little bit better about my purchase !

GPU: GTX 1070
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
PSU: Evga 550w gold modular
RAM : 2x16gb corsair vengeance (activated XMP in my bios) running at 3200MHz
Mobo ga-ab350-gaming 3
256gb m.2 xpg 2-3gb/s (No idea if it's worth mentioning)

Let me know if you need any additional information. Thanks !
Proper setup is important
Update BIOS to the latest.

RESET CMOS! if you haven't it's very important after installing hardware or updating BIOS.

Run only chipset drivers acquired from the AMD support web site. Clean re-install of video drivers with DDU if they've been frequently updated prior to this new CPU.

Run Ryzen Balanced plan (although Windows' balanced may work as well). Open Power and Sleep settings and change Performance from Better to Best to check which works best.

Uninstall any motherboard drivers. Uninstall Ryzenmaster if you installed it. The services of these things have been known to affect gaming performance even if the apps aren't running.

In the end, your motherboard is crap. Sorry, but true: I have an AB350m Gaming 3 and it is crap. Even for a 3600 it's VRM is probably squealing in pain when it wants to boost clocks in a demanding game. That may or may not be the issue (it's great to see you got 3200 clocks on memory) but it's a consideration.

Last edited:

emptyvee

Honorable
Apr 10, 2016
Proper setup is important

RESET CMOS! if you haven't it's very important after installing hardware or updating BIOS.

Run only chipset drivers acquired from the AMD support web site. Clean re-install of video drivers with DDU if they've been frequently updated prior to this new CPU.

Run Ryzen Balanced plan (although Windows' balanced may work as well). Open Power and Sleep settings and change Performance from Better to Best to check which works best.

Uninstall any motherboard drivers. Uninstall Ryzenmaster if you installed it. The services of these things have been known to affect gaming performance even if the apps aren't running.

In the end, your motherboard is crap. Sorry, but true: I have an AB350m Gaming 3 and it is crap. Even for a 3600 it's VRM is probably squealing in pain when it wants to boost clocks in a demanding game. That may or may not be the issue (it's great to see you got 3200 clocks on memory) but it's a consideration.

I will try that has last resort since it could potentially harm my computer if not done correctly.

Run only chipset drivers acquired from the AMD support web site
I did download the chipset drivers using https://www.amd.com/en/support and clicked on auto-detect and install download

Clean re-install of video drivers with DDU
I've done that Yesterday

I will try that and see if it helps.

Uninstall any motherboard drivers
I just reformatted few days ago.

Uninstall Ryzenmaster if you installed it
Do you mean AMD ryzen master? The application to OC?

In the end, your motherboard is crap
This is factual. I would need to buy a whole new PC if the problem persists.

Does "Load Optimized Default settings" in my BIOS could be a good thing to do?

Uninstall Ryzenmaster if you installed it
Do you mean AMD ryzen master? The application to OC?
Does "Load Optimized Default settings" in my BIOS could be a good thing to do?

Yes...that's the Ryzenmaster app. As you note, it's for overclocking. More specifically: configuring overclock settings interactively without rebooting. It was made for various reasons for overclockers and not really intended for 24/7 use so it's impact on performance isn't considered important.

Load Optimized Defaults should the same as resetting CMOS...or maybe not. Doing both, one after the other, is probably a good idea since one might do something the other missed. The idea is to be sure to put settings that are not exposed for a user into the correct default modes for the next reboot to completely re-initialize or re-train for the hardware it sees.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If he updates bios, no need to reset cmos, a bios update does that automatically.

Chipset drivers should be downloaded from motherboard website support, exact same place you find bios updates. There's usually an all-in-one option that includes the Sata, USB, Lan, audio etc drivers for the chipsets on the motherboard.

Use motherboard manufacturer software for menial tasks only, things like fan curves or rgb settings. Dont bother or use the built in software OC or performance upgrades, it's a Ryzen and anything that adds heat, is next to useless.

If you load optimized bios settings, go back in and reset the ram timings, xmp etc. Don't bother with PBO, you aren't overclocking on that mobo.

Get rid of Ryzen Master. It generally does more harm than good if you don't have the equipment to really use it. What I would do instead is use Dram Calculator and Clocktuner2. Those will streamline your ram for better timings and undervolt the cpu for better overall performance. They are not plug and play and do require some tutorial watching and some user input, but the results are undeniably better performance, lower voltage use (important for that mobo's VRM's) and lower temps while getting higher fps outputs.

Performance plan: Balanced. The only thing different between balanced and high to a Ryzen is that Balanced allows the cpu to reach idle states, where as Performance does not. Performance maintains all cores at an elevated clock, which means that when only a couple of cores are needed, they don't boost as high, nor are as effecient or fast in processing. Balanced allows unused cores to downclock, so the few cores used are all that's really heating up the cpu, so they'll boost higher for less voltage.

If he updates bios, no need to reset cmos, a bios update does that automatically.
Normally it should...but it doesn't always. Several motherboard mfr's have failed to include the command to reset all registers in their BIOS update routines. I had a Gigabyte board that was that way, caused me no end of grief until I realized I had to reset CMOS with a battery pull no less. It's a simple step and does no harm and sets aside one potential cause of the many problems that often arise. A good idea to do it.

And about those chipset drivers from motheboard mfr's site. They're often out of date (my MSI chipset drivers were one version back for several months at one time and Asus' ROG forums have complained about several of their boards having out of date drivers on the support site) and SOME motherboard mfr's like to bundle scamware and garbage with their downloads. I prefer to avoid that...and would suggest anyone who cares about reliable performance do the same.

Last edited: