Question I just got a new desktop and my water cooler/fans are always at full speed even when temps are low

May 29, 2024
I recently bought a new desktop setup and opted for a water cooler, specifically the NOX Hummer M-360 ARGB. However, I've encountered an issue with the cooler: it operates at full speed constantly, generating a significant amount of noise, even when my CPU temperature is low.

I've tried several troubleshooting steps to resolve this issue. First, I accessed the BIOS and attempted to adjust the fan curve, hoping to reduce the fan speed when the CPU temperature is low. Unfortunately, this had no effect on the fan speed. Next, I installed the MSI Center software, which is designed to manage various hardware components, including cooling systems. Despite tweaking the settings in MSI Center, the fan speed remained unchanged.

One important detail is that the cooler is connected using a 3-pin cable. This type of connection typically provides voltage control (DC mode) rather than the more precise PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) control available with 4-pin connectors. This might be contributing to the issue, as it limits the ability to fine-tune the fan speeds effectively.

Given these efforts, I'm still facing the same problem. The NOX Hummer M-360 ARGB water cooler continues to run at maximum speed, leading to unnecessary noise regardless of the CPU load or temperature. If anyone has experienced a similar issue or has suggestions for additional troubleshooting steps, I'd greatly appreciate the advice.

DESKTOP SPECS:
  • AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D "Zen 4" 8-Core 4.2GHz;​

• Motherboard ATX MSI B650 Gaming Plus WiFi;​

• RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5-6400MHz CL36;​

• SSD M.2 2280 WD_Black SN770 2TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe Gen 4.0x4;​

• Water Cooler CPU Nox M-360 ARGB 360mm;​

• Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850W 80 Plus Gold Full Modular;​

• Case ATX Nox Hummer Nemesis ARGB Tempered Glass White;​

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Consider that the system may be running hot for some reason and therefore the fans will run max.

What component temperatures are being reported?

Doublecheck the documentation for motherboard, cooler, case, etc..

There may be some error of commission or omission with the cable connections.

May 29, 2024
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Consider that the system may be running hot for some reason and therefore the fans will run max.

What component temperatures are being reported?

Doublecheck the documentation for motherboard, cooler, case, etc..

There may be some error of commission or omission with the cable connections.
Just updated it!
Well, I can see the CPU temps being reported in msi center, and they are always in low temp.

Ralston18

Titan
This cooler?

https://api.nox-xtreme.com/uploads/product/downloads/wpb2bjhq2y-hummer_h360argb_quickguide_en.pdf

Motherboard or Internal RGB connector?

Which motherboard header is being used?

Doublecheck the following:

1) Verify that the correct RGB sync software is installed per the Note A on Page 8.

2) Verify that physical fan cable connections are correct with respect to the motherboard per the motherboard's User Guide/Manual and cooler's manual.

3) Disconnect anysplitters or extenders being used. Make direct connections to test fans individually.

May 29, 2024
Its this one https://api.nox-xtreme.com/uploads/product/downloads/hummer_360m-argb_quickguide-mn021unl32.pdf ;

Using the CPU Fan header if that's what u mean, the header has 4 pins but the cable of the cooler is only 3 pin;

I do think its the point 3) u make because I ordered from a tech shop and they assembled the parts themselves, and there's a splitter/extender whatever you want to call it where all the fan cables are connected to, instead of directly being connected to the motherboard.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
OK, I'm pretty sure I know what is happening.There is no need to have the three rad fans AND the pump all connected to CPU_FAN by Splitter, but that is what they did. Right? You can make a couple changes and fix this.

1. DISconnect the PUMP cable from the Splitter. Now plug it into the mobo PUMP_FAN1 header (see mobo manual p. 39).
2. Back to that now-empty Splitter output connector. Look closely at it. I bet it has FOUR male pins in it. You MUST plug One of your rad fans into that output. It is the only connector that will relay its fan's speed signal to the CPU_FAN header; without that, the header will give you insistent warnings that the CPU FAN has failed, and may shut you down.
3. Boot directly into BIOS Setup by holding down the "Del" key right after you push the power button. Use the manuals to get to where you can adjust the configuration options for fan headers. For the PUMP_FAN1 header ensure it is set to PUMP mode, NOT to fan. For the CPU_FAN header, set it to PWM Mode, not to Auto or DC. When done, use Esc back to Main Menu, then the F10 key to get to the Exit Menu. Choose Save and Exit to save your settings and reboot.

Things should work properly now. NOTE that now the CPU Fan Speed really will be the speed of ONE of your rad fans, and the PUMP speed will be reported separately as the PUMP_FAN1 speed.

You already know about MSI Centre, which gives you access to a LOT of the stuff from BIOS Setup, but while actually running under Windows. What it really does is make any changes you choose for you in BIOS Setup's memory, just as if you had used Setup directly. So you can use that from now on to check and adjust these items.