[SOLVED] I need advice with my PC and or the Valve Index

maks kuznia

Reputable
Jan 4, 2017
This is my PC now:
i7 4790 non k cooled with a hyper 212 evo
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
16GB DDR3
I have about 2020 Euros and I have 2 options. Either to buy the Valve index and an RTX 2080 (ti if that's worth the money). Or buy a PC with the i7 9700k, rtx 2080 etc. And then wait to buy the index or another headset in the future. I really wanna try VR but I don't know if the i7 4790 non k with the RTX 2080 (ti) will be enough or if there will be a huge bottleneck. Any ideas?

Solution
"Bottleneck" charts and calculators are more or less complete nonsense, and rarely provide meaningful information. How much one piece of hardware limits the performance of another will depend heavily on the game and the resolution its being run at, which such charts typically ignore.

A 4790 may limit performance at high frame rates, but it's not too far behind the current generation of lower-end processors, so it might not be too bad.

However, if you have that much money to spend, you might even be able to upgrade everything. A 2070 SUPER is not far behind a 2080 in terms of performance, and is about on par with a 1080 Ti. Then you could go with something like an i5-9600K or maybe a Ryzen 3600 for the processor, 16GB of DDR4 and a...
The max that 4790 can handle is 2060. Anything above that is too powerful for it. But I think your current setup is fine to try out the Index...
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4061-QUZB-4602

Or if you want to build a new rig...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor | €495.89 @ Mindfactory
CPU Cooler | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler | €72.89 @ Aquatuning
Motherboard | MSI Z390-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard | €124.99 @ Amazon Deutschland
Memory | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory | €86.90 @ Amazon Deutschland
Storage | Crucial P1 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | €65.75 @ Amazon Deutschland
Video Card | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB FTW3 GAMING Video Card | €979.99 @ Amazon Deutschland
Case | Cooler Master MasterBox Pro 5 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case | €77.69 @ Amazon Deutschland
Power Supply | SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | €102.43 @ Amazon Deutschland
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | €2006.53
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-04 19:15 CEST+0200 |

maks kuznia

Reputable
Jan 4, 2017
The max that 4790 can handle is 2060. Anything above that is too powerful for it.

Well, it's not like the i7 4790 completely cuts off fps like when v sync is enabled. I found this handy website to compare CPU bottleneck with different cards. I think it's legit, check it out and here's the result with the i7 9700k if you're interested. I think I'll just buy the RTX 2080 ti and see how it goes. I can still return everything after the fact.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Bottleneck sites are worse than useless. Don't use them.

That said, there's no arbitrary cutoff of "this CPU is not enough or too much for that GPU" - It is NOT AT ALL reasonable to say that the i7-4790 can only handle a max of the RTX 2060.

"Bottleneck" charts and calculators are more or less complete nonsense, and rarely provide meaningful information. How much one piece of hardware limits the performance of another will depend heavily on the game and the resolution its being run at, which such charts typically ignore.

A 4790 may limit performance at high frame rates, but it's not too far behind the current generation of lower-end processors, so it might not be too bad.

However, if you have that much money to spend, you might even be able to upgrade everything. A 2070 SUPER is not far behind a 2080 in terms of performance, and is about on par with a 1080 Ti. Then you could go with something like an i5-9600K or maybe a Ryzen 3600 for the processor, 16GB of DDR4 and a motherboard, and you should still have enough left over for the VR kit. Sell some of your existing hardware, and you might even be able to go with higher-end components.

Reactions: King_V
Solution
It is NOT AT ALL reasonable to say that the i7-4790 can only handle a max of the RTX 2060.

Yes it is. When you pair a stronger card with a weaker processor, it limits the full potential of the card and compliments it only upto the point that it can handle without performance hindrance, which is in essence a relatively weaker card potential.
Try a 7100 with a 2080ti, you will know.

maks kuznia

Reputable
Jan 4, 2017

However, if you have that much money to spend, you might even be able to upgrade everything. A 2070 SUPER is not far behind a 2080 in terms of performance, and is about on par with a 1080 Ti. Then you could go with something like an i5-9600K or maybe a Ryzen 3600 for the processor, 16GB of DDR4 and a motherboard, and you should still have enough left over for the VR kit. Sell some of your existing hardware, and you might even be able to go with higher-end components.

If I'm gonna buy a new pc I want it to be the best it can be. So that's not happening. Thanks for the advice though, I do appreciate it. I'll just figure something else out.