[SOLVED] I need help building a completely new PC, please give me ideas! (read post for more info)

wormio

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2015
Hello,

I'm currently using an old pc (it still plays my games fairly well but I need a new one.. I can't just keep upgrading parts, I've been using the same case since like 2009 haha).

Budget is free.. I can go 3k or 4k. I simply want the best or close to the best PC. Best value and performance.

Graphics card: I'm thinking of getting a 3080 RTX ti nothing less. On a GTX 980 Ti currently.
CPU: Should I go Ryzen? I'm used to using Intel though.. I'm on an Intel i7 2600k right now (I KNOW IT'S REALLY OLD HAHA) it's overclocked though.
Motherboard: is an Asrock z68 extreme4 gen3
Ram: 16gb (ddr3 I think) G.Skill Trident X
Harddrive: I currently use Western Digital 1TB HDD. I want the best SSD drives.
Operating System: Windows 10 64 bit.
Monitor is an Asus MG278Q 144Hz (This monitor is still good for me I don't need an upgrade) 2k resolution.

Please guys try to give me the strongest or one of the strongest pc builds for a really good price. Like I said though I don't mind if it reaches 3k or 4k. Thank you. I want this PC to last for 8 years+

Last edited:
Solution
Hello,

I'm currently using an old pc (it still plays my games fairly well but I need a new one.. I can't just keep upgrading parts, I've been using the same case since like 2009 haha).

Budget is free.. I can go 3k or 4k. I simply want the best or close to the best PC. Best value and performance.

Graphics card: I'm thinking of getting a 3080 RTX ti nothing less. On a GTX 980 Ti currently.
CPU: Should I go Ryzen? I'm used to using Intel though.. I'm on an Intel i7 2600k right now (I KNOW IT'S REALLY OLD HAHA) it's overclocked though.
Operating System: Windows 10 64...
Hello,

Monitor is an Asus MG278Q 144Hz (This monitor is still good for me I don't need an upgrade) 2k resolution.

Please guys try to give me the strongest or one of the strongest pc builds for a really good price. Like I said though I don't mind if it reaches 3k or 4k. Thank you. I want this PC to last for 8 years+
Hello there!!
I have listed some parts you could consider them, i haven't added a case so get one as per your liking, for gpu you wanted a 3080ti you could consider that but also 6900xt as all amd build will give you many features with Zen 3 and RDNA2. And yes amd since it's the best cpu available and the upcoming Intel 11th gen would have only 8 cores max and won't last you 8 years. Even the best gpu 3090 won't serve you for 8 years since within 8 years the there will be 4 generation of GPU. Add $1799 to the build for cpu and gpu @ $799 and $999 respectively.
Total:$3072
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HQccxc

Reactions: wormio
Solution

wormio

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2015
Hello there!!
I have listed some parts you could consider them, i haven't added a case so get one as per your liking, for gpu you wanted a 3080ti you could consider that but also 6900xt as all amd build will give you many features with Zen 3 and RDNA2. And yes amd since it's the best cpu available and the upcoming Intel 11th gen would have only 8 cores max and won't last you 8 years. Even the best gpu 3090 won't serve you for 8 years since within 8 years the there will be 4 generation of GPU. Add $1799 to the build for cpu and gpu @ $799 and $999 respectively.

Thank you so much for your time!! I'll make sure I consider all the stuff you've listed :)! I really appreciate it! Thanks again.

Reactions: General Kenobi

wormio

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2015
Hello there!!

Hey sir, are you sure that all these parts are compatible with each other?? Because I'm planning on ordering these parts today, please let me know! It's urgent.. I don't want to buy and then find out that they don't fit together or the motherboard doesn't support them etc. Thank you! Awaiting your reply.

Hey sir, are you sure that all these parts are compatible with each other?? Because I'm planning on ordering these parts today, please let me know! It's urgent.. I don't want to buy and then find out that they don't fit together or the motherboard doesn't support them etc. Thank you! Awaiting your reply.
Some x570 might need bios update and the asus Mobo has bios flashback button so if it doesn't work probably has old bios and can be updated easily using the flashback bios feature using a usb.
Apart from that decided the case and gpu??
See to it that the case works for a 360mm rad and which gpu have you decided?? Is the 6900xt available?
Else everything should work fine.

wormio

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2015
Some x570 might need bios update and the asus Mobo has bios flashback button so if it doesn't work probably has old bios and can be updated easily using the flashback bios feature using a usb.
Apart from that decided the case and gpu??
See to it that the case works for a 360mm rad and which gpu have you decided?? Is the 6900xt available?
Else everything should work fine.

Isn't this Asus ROG Strix Motherboard that you recommended me already new? How come we need to update Bios? :O

I didn't decide a case yet because I'll buy one here from my own country (ordering it would be too heavy and expensive, even the power supply i'll buy locally and not online). What's a 360mm rad? Is that the cooler you mean?

I'll go with the 3080 Ti, I'll wait for it (relesae next year January) I wanna get the parts that I can get NOW, and I'll wait for the GPU xD I don't care. Also, i really want the Ryzen 5950X CPU that you recommended, so I'll wait for that to come in stock as well.

Isn't this Asus ROG Strix Motherboard that you recommended me already new? How come we need to update Bios? :O

I didn't decide a case yet because I'll buy one here from my own country (ordering it would be too heavy and expensive, even the power supply i'll buy locally and not online). What's a 360mm rad? Is that the cooler you mean?

I'll go with the 3080 Ti, I'll wait for it (relesae next year January) I wanna get the parts that I can get NOW, and I'll wait for the GPU xD I don't care. Also, i really want the Ryzen 5950X CPU that you recommended, so I'll wait for that to come in stock as well.
Yes i mean 360mm radiator of the cooler speaking of the Mobo Yes it's new but if just incase it needs a bios update then you could update it easily so i mentioned it just so that you are aware and not worrying about the 'caution' in PC part picker. Good to know that you are aware of all the parts, are you importing the cpu, ram and other stuff??

wormio

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2015
Yes i mean 360mm radiator of the cooler speaking of the Mobo Yes it's new but if just incase it needs a bios update then you could update it easily so i mentioned it just so that you are aware and not worrying about the 'caution' in PC part picker. Good to know that you are aware of all the parts, are you importing the cpu, ram and other stuff??

I'm importing most of the stuff you said from the US to Bahrain (where I live), mostly I'll get the parts from amazon and newegg (I do sometimes use eBay however). I'll get the case and power supply from Bahrain, since these are really heavy and would cost a lot to ship from US to Bahrain. I checked the RAM manually as i've said and the CPU as well, they all work on the motherboard you've recommended.

Basically, I really appreciate you making me the list and I'm gonna buy every single part on that list that you've recommended me haha! The whole rig is going to be insane, the items are all the latest, and all have really good reviews.. I'm extremely excited to order the parts! :) I was just worried a bit about incompatibility, Also, do you think some of them will get discounted because of Black Friday?? Should I wait a few days? Or should they be discontinued already by now?? Since some websites have started their discounts.

I'm importing most of the stuff you said from the US to Bahrain (where I live), mostly I'll get the parts from amazon and newegg (I do sometimes use eBay however). I'll get the case and power supply from Bahrain, since these are really heavy and would cost a lot to ship from US to Bahrain. I checked the RAM manually as i've said and the CPU as well, they all work on the motherboard you've recommended.

Basically, I really appreciate you making me the list and I'm gonna buy every single part on that list that you've recommended me haha! The whole rig is going to be insane, the items are all the latest, and all have really good reviews.. I'm extremely excited to order the parts! :) I was just worried a bit about incompatibility, Also, do you think some of them will get discounted because of Black Friday?? Should I wait a few days? Or should they be discontinued already by now?? Since some websites have started their discounts.
Well the prices always fluctuates and it could be that they are cheaper but can't assure that imo the best prices are the day when you are buying it, price kinda changes every month(inducing promotional codes etc) so get from the one who gives you best the price that day. Also i hope you are aware for the service centre for the products being bought and the import duties (if levied ). Happy to know you like the build, to complete the forum click on the 🏆 icon. Enjoy your build.

wormio

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2015
Well the prices always fluctuates and it could be that they are cheaper but can't assure that imo the best prices are the day when you are buying it, price kinda changes every month(inducing promotional codes etc) so get from the one who gives you best the price that day. Also i hope you are aware for the service centre for the products being bought and the import duties (if levied ). Happy to know you like the build, to complete the forum click on the 🏆 icon. Enjoy your build.

I've ordered pc parts from the US before, thing is.. I use a company that has an address in the US, they take my items and then send them to Bahrain. So there are no import duties to be paid. Thank you! I appreciate you a lot man :) I definitely will enjoy the build!! :D

Also what do you mean complete the forum? The trophy icon means I'm done with this thread and if I click it, it will close the thread? Is that what you mean?

I've ordered pc parts from the US before, thing is.. I use a company that has an address in the US, they take my items and then send them to Bahrain. So there are no import duties to be paid. Thank you! I appreciate you a lot man :) I definitely will enjoy the build!! :D

Also what do you mean complete the forum? The trophy icon means I'm done with this thread and if I click it, it will close the thread? Is that what you mean?
Yes, it will 'solved' the forum, and if in future anything happens you can create a new thread with the issue and many will be able to participate since if we continue in this thread itself the thread will become very long and not many will read a long thread however if you have some more doubts regarding this threads you might continue.

wormio

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2015
@General Kenobi hey man, can you find me another good motherboard with better reviews and no bios update problems/compatibility? The main reason is, it's starting to run out of stock, and prices are going up, I'd rather pay normal price than overpriced prices.. I'm still planning on getting the cpu you recommended Ryzen 9 5950X so it should be a motherboard that supports it obviously. Thanks a lot again man :)!

@General Kenobi hey man, can you find me another good motherboard with better reviews and no bios update problems/compatibility? The main reason is, it's starting to run out of stock, and prices are going up, I'd rather pay normal price than overpriced prices.. I'm still planning on getting the cpu you recommended Ryzen 9 5950X so it should be a motherboard that supports it obviously. Thanks a lot again man :)!
You could go with MSI X570 MAG Tomahawk:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/WK...fi-atx-am4-motherboard-mag-x570-tomahawk-wifi
Even this has the BIOS flashback feature, many of Mobo which are manufactured after Ryzen 5000 should support the ryzen 5950x but if in case it has the older bios you won't have to hastle alot because you have the flash back feature and the BIOS could be updated easily.

wormio

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2015
Hello there!!

So getting the 6900xt GPU over an Nvidia card is better? I really feel like I want the 3080 Ti.. : ( EVGA version probably too. But what are the benefits of Zen 3 and RDNA2 I know nothing about these two things. Will getting a 3080 Ti instead of a 6900xt be a big deal? Please explain, and thanks a lot!

P.S. I ordered the motherboard that you recommended X570-E Gaming, the HDD, and the Ram you recommended. Waiting for the other stuff to be in stock especially the CPU !

So getting the 6900xt GPU over an Nvidia card is better? I really feel like I want the 3080 Ti.. : ( EVGA version probably too. But what are the benefits of Zen 3 and RDNA2 I know nothing about these two things. Will getting a 3080 Ti instead of a 6900xt be a big deal? Please explain, and thanks a lot!

P.S. I ordered the motherboard that you recommended X570-E Gaming, the HDD, and the Ram you recommended. Waiting for the other stuff to be in stock especially the CPU !
Oh hey hope you liked the parts we selected, honestly if you want to play games with Ray tracing you might wanna go with 3080ti and as there's no 3080ti being launched yet anything about it might be too early to say although one thing is for sure with Nvidia's Ray tracing and DLSS Nvidia dwarfs AMD. One more reason to consider Nvidia would be 20gb Gddr6 vram.

wormio

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2015
Oh hey hope you liked the parts we selected, honestly if you want to play games with Ray tracing you might wanna go with 3080ti and as there's no 3080ti being launched yet anything about it might be too early to say although one thing is for sure with Nvidia's Ray tracing and DLSS Nvidia dwarfs AMD. One more reason to consider Nvidia would be 20gb Gddr6 vram.

Yes I really love the parts, I only ordered 3 of them so far (the motherboard, HDD, and Ram), waiting for the others to be in stock for REGULAR price, I'm a patient man. However, the CPU and GPU I'm gonna REALLY be on the look out for them. I don't want to miss a wave of them being in stock. I'm so excited and can't wait to get all the parts and try the PC that you basically built for me. I believe in the choices you made for me, because I even read reviews and saw videos of most items.. like the CPU and Motherboard, they really are a good choice! Thanks again : )!! <3 I might write back here on the PC when it's hopefully built successfully and let you know how everything is!

Yes I really love the parts, I only ordered 3 of them so far (the motherboard, HDD, and Ram), waiting for the others to be in stock for REGULAR price, I'm a patient man. However, the CPU and GPU I'm gonna REALLY be on the look out for them. I don't want to miss a wave of them being in stock. I'm so excited and can't wait to get all the parts and try the PC that you basically built for me. I believe in the choices you made for me, because I even read reviews and saw videos of most items.. like the CPU and Motherboard, they really are a good choice! Thanks again : )!! <3 I might write back here on the PC when it's hopefully built successfully and let you know how everything is!
Appreciate it:) looking forward to your build, and id be here:)
Ps: Also remember the PSU as the 3080Ti would consume alot power.

wormio

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2015
Appreciate it:) looking forward to your build, and id be here:)
Ps: Also remember the PSU as the 3080Ti would consume alot power.

I didn't forget trust me, it's just that I want to buy the PSU locally instead of ordering it online (because of its weight) the shipping would be insanely costly. So I'm going to buy it from any store here, not necessarily the PSU that you recommended, I mean as long as it's a 1000 Watt PSU I should be fine right?

wormio

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2015

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening sir, I hope you're doing great!

Just a quick question.. is that Kraken cooler you recommended enough for my whole build? I don't need to buy any extra fans etc? It's enough to cool my 3080Ti+Crazy Ryzen 9 CPU and the other components? Please let me know : D thank you so much! Because my friend is asking me why I don't do an "Open Loop" cooling system instead of "Closed Loop". I never did that before and want to hear your opinion about these things, thanks a lot again!!

Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening sir, I hope you're doing great!

Just a quick question.. is that Kraken cooler you recommended enough for my whole build? I don't need to buy any extra fans etc? It's enough to cool my 3080Ti+Crazy Ryzen 9 CPU and the other components? Please let me know : D thank you so much! Because my friend is asking me why I don't do an "Open Loop" cooling system instead of "Closed Loop". I never did that before and want to hear your opinion about these things, thanks a lot again!!
Well the 360mm aio would be plenty and 3080 ti with the air cooler should not be any issue although if you want you could go with the closed loop but i can't say anything about it as im not well versed with it, but as i said 360mm AIO and 3080Ti founders or aib cards like asus,msi should be more than enough, if you want to watercool both cpu and gpu using a closed loop go ahead but as i said im not well versed with it all ik is its difficult and pain whereas with an aio all those complication are alleviated, consider watching some tutorials on YouTube and if you want to proceed with it go ahead :)

Jul 12, 2020
Hello,

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mhQC4d

wormio

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2015
Well the 360mm aio would be plenty and 3080 ti with the air cooler should not be any issue although if you want you could go with the closed loop but i can't say anything about it as im not well versed with it, but as i said 360mm AIO and 3080Ti founders or aib cards like asus,msi should be more than enough, if you want to watercool both cpu and gpu using a closed loop go ahead but as i said im not well versed with it all ik is its difficult and pain whereas with an aio all those complication are alleviated, consider watching some tutorials on YouTube and if you want to proceed with it go ahead :)

If you believe it's more than enough then I'll just go with it, I really like the Kraken cooler u linked me, and how customizable it is xD