Question I need help confirming if this is a motherboard issue.

May 29, 2023
The problem:
I can't tell if my ASUS motherboard is truly the problem since any google search gives me round about answers that do more gas-lighting that it's the RAM or CPU and not the motherboard.

The symptoms my system is experiencing:
  • Depressingly slow boot times
  • Slow screen refreshing (you can watch as the 'scan line' goes down the screen)
  • Inconsistent "VGA not supported" bios error
  • unusable system performance when it does boot into Windows, or BIOS

Things I've already tried:
  • Changing graphics card ... would still get "VGA error" in bios
  • Switching motherboard ... booting into BIOS was fast, expected screen refresh rate, and no "VGA not supported" bios errors when using the same components on a different motherboard.
I didn't swam memory since it was recognized by the bios, and I'm sure my cpu is fine, especially when it finally boots into windows, all the ram is there, and there are no signs of a throttling CPU or GPU.

The most confusing part is this coincidentally happens when I move all my components to a different case, it all did work fine for about a few days in the new case, but one day my system never woke up from idle, and an attempted restart (using the motherboard's reset button, not cutting the power when done so) left me with a system that decided it no longer wanted to boot into the BIOS let alone Windows.

To me, sounds like the RAM is not stable, Memory stability issues can make other things look like its bad, If you are running XMP or DOCP, don't run it at 2133 or 2400mhz and see if the symptoms persist, if not, then there ya go, might need to play with the memory more to get the desired speed.

Good Luck!

May 29, 2023
To me, sounds like the RAM is not stable, Memory stability issues can make other things look like its bad, If you are running XMP or DOCP, don't run it at 2133 or 2400mhz and see if the symptoms persist, if not, then there ya go, might need to play with the memory more to get the desired speed.

Good Luck!
The thing is, I've reset the CMOS on that asus board which reset all bios settings, including taking the RAM from 3000mhz to a default 2133mhz, and the issue persisted, but when I move the same ram over to a different motherboard (along with every other component), all those symptoms go away.