[SOLVED] I need help finding out what the size of my motherboard is. It does not look like any of the form factors I've ever seen?

Nov 4, 2021
So I purchased a prebuilt a couple years back, the Lenovo Legion Y520-25IKL, and recently I have slowly started to upgrade components of it bit by bit. One day I also wanna switch out my motherboard to be able to install a better CPU but the thing is I am completely clueless as of right now to what form factor my current motherboard is. It does not look like any standard form factor I have seen before? The motherboard is the Lenovo 36D9 (U3E1).

Solution
So I purchased a prebuilt a couple years back, the Lenovo Legion Y520-25IKL, and recently I have slowly started to upgrade components of it bit by bit. One day I also wanna switch out my motherboard to be able to install a better CPU but the thing is I am completely clueless as of right now to what form factor my current motherboard is. It does not look like any standard form factor I have seen before? The motherboard is the Lenovo 36D9 (U3E1).
Is it one of the boards shown here?
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/...ion-y520t-25ikl/90h7/parts/display/compatible

In addition to size and shape you'll have to match the mounting holes with standoffs and the location of the I/O...
Is it one of the boards shown here?
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/...ion-y520t-25ikl/90h7/parts/display/compatible

In addition to size and shape you'll have to match the mounting holes with standoffs and the location of the I/O backplate and I/O slot(s) on the case with the PCIe slot(s) on the new board. The case also has to have a removeable I/O shield and accept the shield for the new motherboard. And don't forget the PSU as the stock one is probably undersized for upgraded components so the case has to accept an ATX standard size.

Without those features you'll be doing some extensive case mods with drills and saws.

Last edited:
Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Looks like a hybrid MicroATX and Mini ITX. A little taller than Mini ITX, even though it only has one expansion slot anyway. And the board goes out to ATX/Micro ATX to the right. Using six standard mounting holes.

Standard ATX sized power supply with standard plugs.

Mini-ITX boards should fit in the chassis easily enough. Rear I/O cutout is removeable, but looks like it has to be broken out with breakaway tabs.

If you are stripping all that stuff out anyway, just makes more sense to get a new chassis. You can just sell the whole thing nearly as is.

So I purchased a prebuilt a couple years back, the Lenovo Legion Y520-25IKL
what form factor my current motherboard is. It does not look like any standard form factor I have seen before? The motherboard is the Lenovo 36D9 (U3E1).
It's hybrid between mITX and mATX.
You can replace with either mITX or mATX. Both will fit into the case.

legion-y520t-review-internal-01.jpg

It looks like a ITX motherboard will fit and, a MATX with 4 expansion slots will fit as well.

What processor do you have now, and what are you contemplating for upgrades?

Pre built pc's are not really designed to be upgraded past the initial offering specs.

The psu will often be the limiter for graphics upgrades.

Case ventilation may be a limiter for hotter cpu and gpu components.

Reactions: drea.drechsler