Dec 10, 2021
I’m looking to get a more up to date graphics card. I’m just confused a little with what will be compatible with the other specs in my computer. I’m still kind of a newbie but I get the gist of most of things. I’m willing to up the power supply and Motherboard if needed. Any help would be appreciated!
CPU- i5-9600k
GPU- Dual EVGA GTX960
RAM - 32gb DDR4 3600MHz
Motherboard- Gigabyte Z390 UD
CPU Cooler- Cooler-Master Hyper 212 Black Edition
Power Supply- EVGA 500 Watt 80+
Storage- 1TB HHD

Solution
Id keep your gpu and upgrade cpu to attain hyperthreading. 9600k is ok but lack of HT does hurt in modern games. You'll like the performance HT offers then you'll have a system much ready for a more powerful gpu in future.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-11400 2.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($189.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z590-PLUS ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $499.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-12-10 21:37 EST-0500

You'll have to look at buying...
Dec 10, 2021
Your system is decent enough. I could see just about any card in there. Your budget is going to be the limiting factor here. Cards are going for at least 3x their MSRP. Any half way ok card for 1080 gaming is going to run ~$1K.
Would I be limited to buy 6 pin or 8 pin. I was questioned this when I was looking around at cards.

Would I be limited to buy 6 pin or 8 pin. I was questioned this when I was looking around at cards.
First, you need a better quality power supply before any GPU upgrade. Any newer, decent power supply will have multiple (6 + 2) 8-pin connectors that can be used for either 6 or 8 pin GPU's. A 650 or 750 watt model will cover almost any system, except those with the highest end GPU's.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Id keep your gpu and upgrade cpu to attain hyperthreading. 9600k is ok but lack of HT does hurt in modern games. You'll like the performance HT offers then you'll have a system much ready for a more powerful gpu in future.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z590-PLUS ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Amazon)

You'll have to look at buying socket lga 1200 brackets for your current cooler which should be adequate for 11400. Or look at new cooler to fit your case.

Regarding Windows, changing motherboards will require a reinstall from scratch. It's easy enough to do and there's a how-to sticky in Win10 section. Read through it because it also explains how to transfer your licence.

Solution

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021

PCPartPicker Part List

You'll have to look at buying socket lga 1200 brackets for your current cooler which should be adequate for 11400. Or look at new cooler to fit your case.

Regarding Windows, changing motherboards will require a reinstall from scratch. It's easy enough to do and there's a how-to sticky in Win10 section. Read through it because it also explains how to transfer your licence.
Absolutely not. Non-k CPU with a z590? 850-watt PSU? CPU downgrade? Any game that can take advantage of more than six threads on a highly capable CPU will be limited by the 960 severely.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Non-k CPU with a z590

Good motherboard, i have one and suggested it. Could go for b560 i agree or they could go stronger cpu /w better cooler.

850-watt PSU

If they want 3080ti, it's worth to cover. 750w would only save a few bucks so why not.

CPU downgrade?

Downgrade to what? 9600k? Not with HT.

Any game that can take advantage of more than six threads on a highly capable CPU will be limited by the 960 severely.

On the basis 960 is temporary, it doesn't matter if pairing now is unbalanced. Besides, performance in modern games will benefit a better cpu regardless of what gpu is in play.

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
Good motherboard, i have one and suggested it. Could go for b560 i agree or they could go stronger cpu /w better cooler.

If they want 3080ti, it's worth to cover. 750w would only save a few bucks so why not.

Downgrade to what? 9600k? Not with HT.

On the basis 960 is temporary, it doesn't matter if pairing now is unbalanced. Besides, performance in modern games will benefit a better CPU regardless of what GPU is in play.
I didn't mean to say downgrade but the 11400 gives a 0%-5% performance gain. Not worth it at all. Second, if you are suggesting a 11400, he would have to be smoking something to pair it with a 3080 ti.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
A friend has 10600k with 3080ti, cpu not overclocked, gpu has no trouble performing. 11400 would have no issue either. Op could go 11600k instead, whichever, so long they're confident in cooling solutions.

Single core performance might not seem worth it, however I've experienced comparing HT on and off for a 2600k system and 11600k and HT is significant reducing work load allowing processor do more for performance and a better reason going for later i5 gens based on this rather than single core, imo.

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
A friend has 10600k with 3080ti, cpu not overclocked, gpu has no trouble performing. 11400 would have no issue either. Op could go 11600k instead, whichever, so long they're confident in cooling solutions.

Single core performance might not seem worth it, however I've experienced comparing HT on and off for a 2600k system and 11600k and HT is significant reducing work load allowing processor do more for performance and a better reason going for later i5 gens based on this rather than single core, imo.
Of course, it wouldn't have an ¨issue¨ but it's not a smart upgrade in general. Lga 1200 is a dead platform and not much upgrade room unless you want the abomination that is the 11900k. A %5 gaming boost and maybe some multitasking benefits for $500? Eh. First GPU, then 12th gen. I do agree with what you're saying in some ways but the upgrade isn't really much of an upgrade.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Lga 1200 is a dead platform and not much upgrade room

Depends how you look at it. One hand, yes it's handy having cpu upgrade options to a degree. On the other, in case with Intel, two gen path, by the time an upgrade on same platform is considered (for most people i'd imagine) it'll most likely be in second hand market because the system's service length will be for several years. By then, it wouldn't be worth upgrading even if there were options because it'll few generations if not more behind anyway. Then there's Amd, same boat but wouldn't discourage anyone going 5600x.

10th/11th/12th gen, i5 6/12 processor's if bought now will still probably and most likely be held onto for 5yrs or more. My 2600k overclocked, which i only just upgraded to 11th gen, lasted since it was released and is still very capable today but is thread challenged in some games. That's a fair stint and i would expect the same for any modern system of now with smt regardless if platform is dead. Viability vs time, buying into a platform for upgrade path should be less of consideration really.

4745454b

Titan
After AMDs issues with AM3, I don't really care about upgrade path. If you can get 3-5yrs out of s system, good for you. But we still have people coming in here with their ancient G760 board trying to pair it with a 8350 and wanting to know why it's not working right. If a platform is dead matters very little in my book. Is the performance there with a price you like? That counts. I'm also not sure I'd spend as much money on the board as I do the CPU. Sure it's a great board, not questioning that. But that's a lot of money being tied up that doesn't really bring performance. I missed the PSU issue. (As a mod I have people PM me all the time asking me to look at something, this is why I always tell them to start a thread. I can't and don't catch everything.) Which PSU depends on what he'll be doing. Do you really need to worry about a 3080TI? The OP has never said anything about what resolution he wants to game at. And considering the older midrange at the time hardware, I'm assuming it's not 4k. A good 500-550W PSU will handle what's he looking for. If the OP wants to provide more info like budget and gaming res then we can update what we are saying. But a good recent i3/i5/Zen 2 build with whatever GPU he can afford will work fine. No need to plan for GPU upgrades and 4k, he's using a 960 with a 1080 screen. I hope.

Reactions: jacob249358

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I wish motherboard's were cheaper here in Aus like they are there in US. $270 cost me the z590 board and $370 for 11600kf. That's pretty much been the norm here as long as i can remember, couple hundred for motherboard and few more for the cpu. You get what you pay for. Could find cheaper of course but it's the chance you take in quality. That's with anything.

4745454b

Titan
I've done many builds with $100 boards, and $200+ CPUs. I wouldn't risk those boards that are $60 with a base chipset and no heatsinks on the VRMs. But at least here in the USA there are many good boards that are $100 that will run something just fine. (At least there were pre covid, I haven't looked for boards recently.)