Question I need new monitor suggestions - OLED vs VA ?

Jan 21, 2024
I'm building a new pc with a 1070 Ti Super GPU and would like to get a new monitor.

I won't be using it for movies or anything of that sort. It'll pretty much just be work and occasional gaming. The most visually demanding being Cities Skylines 2. Occasionally CSGO2 and other minor games.

I'm trying not to break the bank on a monitor, but from what I've read, I should definitely get something 144hz+, 1440p and 21:9 aspect ration.

The two I'm looking at right now are the MSI 341CQP or the Acer Nitro XZ342CU. The main difference being that the MSI is OLED and the Acer is VA.

My question is:

Is the difference between OLED and VA significant enough to warrant the extra $400 price tag for my uses?

And are there any better monitors than the ones I linked above for similar prices?

The main thing that I'm hoping to experience is the visuals of Cities Skylines 2 which is why I shelled out so much cash for the GPU, but I'm worried that it may have been in vain if I don't get the OLED monitor.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
VA suffer ghosting and see a lot of people complaining about picture fluency here. i would avoid them, you'll be sorry getting one. Choice should be oled or ips imo. I have an oled lg c1 tv for gaming and it's pretty damn good.

The virtue of oled is a true black background; if your games don't have a lot of black areas then you probably wouldn't notice the difference. I use an oled since I got tired of the light bleed-through around the edges of led panels. Its also best if you don't have a lot of room light when using an oled panel.

Last edited:

rene641

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
It's all about money and you usually get what you pay for. Personally, I would say that there is nothing better and especially prettier than an OLED picture, but if you are not going to use it for at least a few hours a day, buy a good IPS. Go to a showroom somewhere, look and compare and find out what you can live with. I personally have an older Dell Alienware aw2721d (IPS) I have forgiven all the minor flaws and am very happy with it.