FastbackNL

Honorable
May 27, 2019
Hello,

My pc recently fully stopped working out of the blue. When trying to start it up, nothing happens (No fans, no lights, no sound, nothing). Here is what I've tried:

- Tried to start the pc directly using a screwdriver, result: nothing happened
- Hooked a wire in the 24-pin connector from the green to the black wire, result: A part of my pc turned on. I could hear my hard drive running and I saw my case fans spinning. But the CPU fan wasn't doing anything. So the power supply works, but CPU and motherboard's state are unknown.
- Checked if my CPU had any damage, but it seemed still in good shape.

Now I am wondering, is my motherboard or CPU faulty?

If you have any idea please let me know!

It would be really helpful.

Here are some further specs that might help:
- Intel i5-3330
- Msi H61M-P31/W8
- 8gb of ddr3 memory
- 450 Watt power supply.

For any other questions also please let me know.

Reactions: Alphacolyottbee73

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
I suspect your 450W PSU is the culprit. Please state the exact model number and the manufacturer of the PSU. What is the age of this PSU?

3.5in hard disks use +12V and +5V supplies. The disc motor might use +12V power. The logic board might use +5V power. You cannot assume both rails are working just because the motor is running.

It is perfectly possible for a dead CPU to show no outward signs of damage. You cannot tell if it is working, just by looking at it.

Last edited:

FastbackNL

Honorable
May 27, 2019
I suspect your 450W PSU is the culprit. Please state the exact model number and the manufacturer of the PSU. What is the age of this PSU?

3.5in hard disks use +12V and +5V supplies. The disc motor might use +12V power. The logic board might use +5V power. You cannot assume both rails are working just because the motor is running.

It is perfectly possible for a dead CPU to show no outward signs of damage. You cannot tell if it is working, just by looking at it.
Hey Misgar,

Thanks a lot for your response! The pc has worked for around 3 years, so I don't think the PSU is the problem. I've also tested it by using the paper-clip method, and it worked, so... (If you still need the model number and manufacturer: Corsair VS450.

Again thanks for the response

FastbackNL

Honorable
May 27, 2019
Hey Misgar,

Thanks a lot for your response! The pc has worked for around 3 years, so I don't think the PSU is the problem. I've also tested it by using the paper-clip method, and it worked, so... (If you still need the model number and manufacturer: Corsair VS450.

Btw, the age of the PSU is unknown, I bought it second hand. Just like all the other components in the pc, about 3 years ago.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Hey Misgar,

Everything that stops working was working before it stopped working, by definition. The paper clip method can only confirm a completely dead PSU, it can't tell you anything about whether it has basic functionality. In this case, all you know is that the +5V rail is at least sort of functioning, but nothing that uses +12V has turned on.

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
My car worked perfectly for a number of years, then the engine cut out. I replaced a solenoid and it fixed the problem.

Just because your PSU has been working for 3 years, doesn't mean it's still OK. Inexpensive PSUs have been known to die without warning.

This list shows the Corsair VS [2012] orange label drive as being in category "Tier-F Replace immendiately".
https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

No doubt your VS 450 is a more recent version, but the VS range is right down at the bottom of the Corsair product range, below CX-M, CX-F and the superior AXi, RMi, RMx and HXi ranges.

The Corsair VS-series comes with a limited 3-year warranty, so your guarantee may have expired.

The Corsair AXi, RMi, RMx and HXi series now come with a 10-year warranty.

At the very least, try a different PSU to see if the VS450 still lives!

FastbackNL

Honorable
May 27, 2019
Thank you all for the responses. Unfortunately, I don't have another PSU directly near me. So if I get it correctly, the best bet is to buy a new PSU instead of a new CPU/motherboard?

Is there any other way to check if the +12V rail is working?

Thanks again for the help!

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I will, but is there any other way to test this PSU further. I am trying to save money.

An oscilloscope and load tester, which will cost about as much as 40 good PSUs.

(Or, you can find someone that is willing to test properly and most local shops won't be equipped with this).

There's a decent chance you're here because of trying to save money another time. Cheap parts can be very expensive in the long run.

FastbackNL

Honorable
May 27, 2019
An oscilloscope and load tester, which will cost about as much as 40 good PSUs.

(Or, you can find someone that is willing to test properly and most local shops won't be equipped with this).

There's a decent chance you're here because of trying to save money another time. Cheap parts can be very expensive in the long run.
Thanks for the reply! I will be on the lookout for a good PSU then! Thanks a lot for the help! Greetings!