Question I need some help installing case fans ?

Feb 4, 2024
Recently just got some stock 2x Phanteks case fans that I wanted to plug in but the fans won't work.

Mobo: Asrock Z270 Taichi

I have 2 other case fans work fine but are plugged into the PSU and my CPU fan works fine so it shouldn't be that my PSU doesn't have enough power...

I want to plug the 2 new case fans into the mobo but no matter which plug I try, (CHA_FAN 1,2,3), it does not work. Fans are a 3 pin so I don't see it on the BIOS, but I'm not sure why it does not run at all... Appreciate the help!

Edit - I've tried all bios controls ie changing to DC and PWM, both don't seem to work.

Last edited:
Recently just got some stock 2x Phanteks case fans that I wanted to plug in but the fans won't work.

Mobo: Asrock Z270 Taichi

I have 2 other case fans work fine but are plugged into the PSU and my CPU fan works fine so it shouldn't be that my PSU doesn't have enough power...

I want to plug the 2 new case fans into the mobo but no matter which plug I try, (CHA_FAN 1,2,3), it does not work. Fans are a 3 pin so I don't see it on the BIOS, but I'm not sure why it does not run at all... Appreciate the help!
Considering they are 3 pin ,header you connect them to should be set in BIOS as DC control, not PWM.

Gururu

Upstanding
Jan 4, 2024
You might have to try one at a time testing different headers, switching between the other ones already being used by the previous case fans (not cpu fans). Also make sure they "arent" working, since they might be very quiet or hard to see the blades moving. I had a beast of a time getting two new fans setup recently. Sometimes a header wouldnt work with one fan but with another it was ok. Finally, I found a configuration that worked, was pretty weird. Might have something to do with an incorrect setting for power that causes it to temporarily lose recognition. Below is what I ultimately ended up with:

4 pin fans: Headers 1 and 3 (PWM mode)
3 pin fans: Headers 2 and 4 (Auto mode)

Reactions: 35below0

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you're a bit handy with temporary hook-ups, you could try to test those fans outside the computer. You need a 12 VDC battery source, and every automobile has one. Look closely at the three wires from one fan. Normally they will be colour-coded as follows:
BLACK is Ground on the hole for Pin #1 of the connector
RED is +VDC power input on Pin #2 (middle)
YELLOW is Speed signal (from fan back to header) on Pin #3

You would need to take the fans to a 12 VDC battery and rig up two temporary wires. One goes from the battery + terminal (the LARGER one on the battery) to the RED wire contact (the middle hole) in the fan connector. The other goes from the battery - terminal (the smaller one) to the BLACK wire at one end of the three-hole set on the fan connector. When you make that connection the fan should start and run at full speed immediately. If it does, then the fan is good. That would indicate that the problem you have is in how power for the fan is provided (improperly) by the mobo header you are using.

By the way, you can do a similar test with a 6 VDC battery - the kind that is square in cross-section and has two springy terminals on top, used in heavy lanterns - that may be easier to work with than a car battery. With this power your fan still should start, but operate at a slow speed. You cannot do this with a battery of lower Voltage. Normally such a fan will not start or run when supplied with 5 VDC or less.

IF you can test, let us know the result, and we can advise further.