[SOLVED] I need some opinion on which upgrade option is better for my next PC Build?

Dec 19, 2021
Hey guys,

I am currently in the process of upgrading my PC build and have few upgrade options to choose from and would like your opinion on it.

My current PC build is:
i7 6700 cpu Skylake
GTX 1070 Asus Strix graphics card OC edition
MSI Z170a M7 motherboard
16GB DDR4 RAM (8GB x2) 3000MHz G.Skill TridentZ RGB + Old Corsair 8GB RAM Stick = Total 24GB RAM
1 TB NVMe SSD WD Blue SN550 Gen3 x4 PCIe

2x 27" Monitors @ 60Hz (one is TN Benq Panel and other is IPS LG Panel)

Option 1:-
Get the RTX 3080 MSI Gaming Z Trio/ASUS ROG Strix + Z690 MSI Edge WIFI (DDR4 supported to use my old RAMs) + i7 12700k CPU
while keeping my old monitor @60Hz in the meantime and upgrading it in the future to a 27" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync HDR10 Monitor

Option 2:-
Same as previous option but get RTX 3070 instead of 3080 and use the extra money to get a 1440p 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Option 3:-

Get RTX 3080 + Monitor upgrade 1440p 144Hz G-Sync Monitor while keeping my old CPU/MOBO combo and upgrading it in the near future
I know this may be the less ideal option as i will experience bottleneck in some games due to limitation of my old CPU, but it will still give me better fps than my old GPU at least thats what I reckon

Prices of GPUs mentioned where I live is
RTX 3080 ~= $1,820
RTX 3070 ~= $1,277

TLDR; I cant upgrade all three at same time; (i7 12700K + Z690 MOBO) , RTX 3080/3070 , 2K/1440P 1440Hz G-Sync HDR10 Monitor
I wanna get 2 out of the 3 upgrade options now and get the last upgrade sometime in the near future

Let me know your opinions and why,
Thanks in advance

Solution
In what way is your current setup not doing the job?
I might presume that gaming is your prime objective.
Are your games cpu centric?
sims, mmo, strategy for example?
Or, are they fast action games?
Do you play multiplayer with many participants?
In general, since you are on a budget, I would look at the I5-12600K processor.
It is a massive boost over your 6700K.
Here is a review:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/core_i5_12600k_processor_review,21.html
Only if you play multiplayer would the added thread count of the 12700K be a big benefit. Or, if you are also heavily multitasking.

I think I would opt for a DDR4 based motherboard. 16gb of ram seems to be fine for gaming. Possibly, your extra 8gb would play nice since...
In what way is your current setup not doing the job?
I might presume that gaming is your prime objective.
Are your games cpu centric?
sims, mmo, strategy for example?
Or, are they fast action games?
Do you play multiplayer with many participants?
In general, since you are on a budget, I would look at the I5-12600K processor.
It is a massive boost over your 6700K.
Here is a review:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/core_i5_12600k_processor_review,21.html
Only if you play multiplayer would the added thread count of the 12700K be a big benefit. Or, if you are also heavily multitasking.

I think I would opt for a DDR4 based motherboard. 16gb of ram seems to be fine for gaming. Possibly, your extra 8gb would play nice since it seems to work now. No big deal if it does not.

I would do the cpu/mobo upgrade first and see how you do.

Then, for fast action games, graphics or the monitors will become the limiting factor.
Unfortunately, graphics cards are tough to buy.
If you were to buy a 3080, that would be what you need for 4k resolution gaming. 3070 would seem to be reasonable.
That said, I would splurge on the monitor next.
Look for a large unit which would be more immersive.
Once you are at 1440P 120hz would seem to be plenty.
Spend what you can on a great monitor, it will be with you for a long time.
Once you have the monitor, you will be in a better position to evaluate your graphics needs.

Sign up for the newegg lottery. You can usually score a graphics card at a modest boost over msrp. It will usually be sold as a bundle with another item that you may or not want.

Solution