Question I need to get a decent motherboad

legis

Reputable
Jul 17, 2019
Basically I am on a budget and have i3 3220(3rd gen )
and aero itx Radeon Rx 560 4gb oc gpu.
I have a really old and bad motherboard which can at most use 1600mhz ram. I noticed that ram speeds can bottleneck and can really change alot in terms of performance.
Basically I need to find a budget MoBo that can pair up with my cpu,gpu AND have ddr4 ram cause ram speed means alot. cant seem to find any good tips online on what to buy please help me out.

WildCard999

Titan
Memory speeds shouldn't have much of an impact with Intel CPU's. Going with a, for example, 2x8gb instead of a 1x8gb though could improve performance slightly or at the very least limit FPS dips.

Unless you can find one for cheap I really wouldn't recommend investing into a older socket especially if your current motherboard works fine.

legis

Reputable
Jul 17, 2019
Memory speeds shouldn't have much of an impact with Intel CPU's. Going with a, for example, 2x8gb instead of a 1x8gb though could improve performance slightly or at the very least limit FPS dips.

Unless you can find one for cheap I really wouldn't recommend investing into a older socket especially if your current motherboard works fine.
My cousin had 8gb 2113mhz ram and he got Way better performance when he tried My gpu. I only have 4gb 1600mhz rn but If I upgrade to 12gb would I get around the same performance? He has some intel pentium 3.5ghz but the gpu is kinda bottlenecking so that shouldn't mean much

legis

Reputable
Jul 17, 2019

or even 16gb instead of 12? and also would that make a differrence

WildCard999

Titan
My cousin had 8gb 2113mhz ram and he got Way better performance when he tried My gpu. I only have 4gb 1600mhz rn but If I upgrade to 12gb would I get around the same performance? He has some intel pentium 3.5ghz but the gpu is kinda bottlenecking so that shouldn't mean much
Your comparing a older CPU to a new CPU, even if the ghz is the same or close because of the generation difference the performance difference per core would be significant.

Plus some of the newer Pentiums have hyperthreading so they may only be a dual core but they have quad threads which would be more utilized in newer games.

legis

Reputable
Jul 17, 2019
Your comparing a older CPU to a new CPU, even if the ghz is the same or close because of the generation difference the performance difference per core would be significant.

Plus some of the newer Pentiums have hyperthreading so they may only be a dual core but they have quad threads which would be more utilized in newer games.
anyway would there be any Difference if i got 12gb 1600mhz or 16gb 1600mhz

WildCard999

Titan
anyway would there be any Difference if i got 12gb 1600mhz or 16gb 1600mhz
If your at 8gb then I doubt it would make much of a difference. The biggest difference your going to see is with a platform update (CPU/MB/RAM) or getting a used 3rd gen i7 for cheap (under $100) which may be the better option if your budget isn't very much.

What motherboard and memory do you currently have?

legis

Reputable
Jul 17, 2019
If your at 8gb then I doubt it would make much of a difference. The biggest difference your going to see is with a platform update (CPU/MB/RAM) or getting a used 3rd gen i7 for cheap (under $100) which may be the better option if your budget isn't very much.

What motherboard and memory do you currently have?
i have 4gb ddr3 1600mhz
Gigabyte H61M-S1

legis

Reputable
Jul 17, 2019
What is the absolute max you can spend on upgrades?

Getting a 2600/3770 for around $70 and another 4gb of memory all for under $100 would be a worthwhile upgrade for a decent price.

If you can afford around $300 then go Ryzen 2600/B450 & at least 8gb of memory @3000/3200mhz.
Dunno honestly my budget really isnt big.. how much would increasing from 4bg 1600mhz to 16gb 1600mhz increase performance?