Question I need to upgrade my RAM - advice please.

dragonwalker

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2014
A couple of years ago I had an ASUS ROG gaming computer and it had that common issue at the time where it would stop charging (it would happen to me if I tried to game on high settings or had more than one program open). It would be plugged in.
First time it fixed itself after rolling back after a Window's update, the second time I had to fiddle for ages with trying to reinstall battery drivers etc. and it only started recharging after the battery had gone to 0 and then after a while.
Then the next time I had to force restart, resulting in a BSOD and without the ability to repair itself I had to reinistall Windows and everything and it was never the same after this.
Apparently it happened in Dell computers a lot too.

Now I have an ASUS ROG Strix (G814JZ-G18.I94080).
Processor: 13th Gen. Intel i9-1390HX 2200 MHz, 24 core...
It only came with 16GB RAM running at 4800 but although the specs say 32GB RAM max on the online comp description, when I check in the Command prompt it says 64 max and the Crucial site has also confirmed this when giving compatible RAM and I am really looking to get the best that I can, so 64GB (2x32GB) - 5600 speed.
I looked up my processor online and it says it can support up to 5600 too.

I am really paranoid now though with the issues I had in the past. Would putting in a faster and much larger RAM cause system instability at all? Could it cause it to overheat too much? Could it trigger that other issue? I know that it can downclock the RAM speed and I never overclock my system.

Any advice as the sticks I want are on sale right now and I have had them in the basket for ages. I use the Adobe Suite and yesterday it youtube was stuttering while my Photoshop was rendering something, so I really think an upgrade is necessary.

Thank you so much for any advice.
I am comfortable switching them out as I have done more invasive things in the past (e.g. upgrading thermal paste etc.). That is not the issue, although any pointers would also be appreciated.

Have you performed any BIOS updates?
The more capacity the less speed you might get with RAM.
Even though the CPU and laptop support 5600MT/s RAM, it might not support that speed with all memory capacities....that speed is reached with 16-32GB of RAM. The more capacity the less speed you might get with RAM.
With 64GB, it might get 4800-5200MT/s only.

By the way, RAM speed does not offer a noticeable performance impact on Adobe apps.

js2

Jul 16, 2024
A couple of years ago I had an ASUS ROG gaming computer and it had that common issue at the time where it would stop charging (it would happen to me if I tried to game on high settings or had more than one program open). It would be plugged in.
First time it fixed itself after rolling back after a Window's update, the second time I had to fiddle for ages with trying to reinstall battery drivers etc. and it only started recharging after the battery had gone to 0 and then after a while.
Then the next time I had to force restart, resulting in a BSOD and without the ability to repair itself I had to reinistall Windows and everything and it was never the same after this.
Apparently it happened in Dell computers a lot too.

Now I have an ASUS ROG Strix (G814JZ-G18.I94080).
Processor: 13th Gen. Intel i9-1390HX 2200 MHz, 24 core...
It only came with 16GB RAM running at 4800 but although the specs say 32GB RAM max on the online comp description, when I check in the Command prompt it says 64 max and the Crucial site has also confirmed this when giving compatible RAM and I am really looking to get the best that I can, so 64GB (2x32GB) - 5600 speed.
I looked up my processor online and it says it can support up to 5600 too.

I am really paranoid now though with the issues I had in the past. Would putting in a faster and much larger RAM cause system instability at all? Could it cause it to overheat too much? Could it trigger that other issue? I know that it can downclock the RAM speed and I never overclock my system.

Any advice as the sticks I want are on sale right now and I have had them in the basket for ages. I use the Adobe Suite and yesterday it youtube was stuttering while my Photoshop was rendering something, so I really think an upgrade is necessary.

Thank you so much for any advice.
I am comfortable switching them out as I have done more invasive things in the past (e.g. upgrading thermal paste etc.). That is not the issue, although any pointers would also be appreciated.
Check task manager while using Adobe to see what the stats are like. Rog are gaming, not workstation, boards; so it might be a bottleneck somewhere else.

dragonwalker

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2014
I play MMOs too and as a gaming laptop is designed for instense graphics and rendering it is also perfect for my design software.

I really need higher RAM, no question about it anyway. That has been my plan from day one anyway. I just wanted to make sure that upgrading to 64MB with 5600 speed won't risk instability, or an issue like I had with the last computer (did not upgrade my last computer and it did this out-of-box after about 10 months of use, but I see it as a system weakness for an ASUS and am a bit paranoid).

But as an aside, I don't even have Illustrator open and am not actively using any rendering right now as I am typing here and I am using 14MB RAM.

dragonwalker

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2014
I play MMOs too. I really need higher RAM, no question about it anyway. That has been my plan from day one anyway. I just wanted to make sure that upgrading to 64MB with 5600 speed won't risk instability, or an issue like I had with the last computer (did not upgrade my last computer and did this as I got it, but I see it as a system weakness for an ASUS and am a bit paranoid.

Check task manager while using Adobe to see what the stats are like. Rog are gaming, not workstation, boards; so it might be a bottleneck somewhere else.
would there be a way that you could look at my most recent comment. I more need to know if there would be an issue likely if I upgrade. I definitely need one.

dragonwalker

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2014
Have you performed any BIOS updates?
The more capacity the less speed you might get with RAM.
Even though the CPU and laptop support 5600MT/s RAM, it might not support that speed with all memory capacities....that speed is reached with 16-32GB of RAM. The more capacity the less speed you might get with RAM.
With 64GB, it might get 4800-5200MT/s only.

By the way, RAM speed does not offer a noticeable performance impact on Adobe apps.
I play high intensity video games too. So I use my computer for both work and play.

My main issue is if there could be a problem if I install the RAM, rather than if it can always perform at that speed.
I just don't want any negative effects from it.
But as the ones I want only cost $10 more right now than the ones with 4800 speed I figured as long as it isn't going to cause instability then I may as well go with the top notch ones.

And yes, my BIOS has been updated numerous times when asked to do it which has been at least 3 times since I bought the computer in November.