[SOLVED] I only used two screws to fasten motherboard to case, is that okay ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 27, 2019
Since the other screws cannot be screwed in ( because the motherboard cannot be aligned properly to the standoffs screw hole no matter how hard I try), I only put two of them. The ones I managed to screw in are the two top holes.

I use Cougar MX330-G and MSi B450M pro vdh max. I wonder if anyone here with the same exact products have the same problem ?

I put all the standoffs in btw, but I left many of them without screw in them to hold the mobo because of the problem above. The question is : Will there be a problem arise from this? Just wondering.

<editied by moderator>

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Since the other screws cannot be screwed in ( because the motherboard cannot be aligned properly to the standoffs screw hole no matter how hard I try), I only put two of them. The ones I managed to screw in are the two top holes.

I use Cougar MX330-G and MSi B450M pro vdh max. I wonder if anyone here with the same exact products have the same problem ?

I put all the standoffs in btw, but I left many of them without screw in them to hold the mobo because of the problem above. The question is : Will there be a problem arise from this? Just wondering.

<editied by moderator>
You need to remove everything and put the standoffs in the correct holes. Start each screw with a few turns leaving them slightly loose so you can make minor...

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
no it's definatelly not okay to run it like that,

Just unscrew the standoffs that don't fit and , screw them in the correct holes for m-atx form factor

Cougar MX330-G has pre drilled holes for standoffs for mini-itx, m-atx and atx form factors

just need to screw the standoffs in the correct holes

https://cdn.instructables.com/ORIG/FJD/TETT/GU59XBKK/FJDTETTGU59XBKK.pdf

see page 8-9

Aug 27, 2019
It depends on where the standoffs are. If you have some that are present but don't align with mobo holes vibrations will damage the back of the mobo. If you don't have that scenario it is still problematic because the standoffs provide a path to ground for the mobo. With the standoffs missing there is no path to ground and the machine will definitely have problems. Basically intermittent problems for which there is no observable cause.

Aug 27, 2019
no it's definatelly not okay to run it like that,

Just unscrew the standoffs that don't fit and , screw them in the correct holes for m-atx form factor

Cougar MX330-G has pre drilled holes for standoffs for mini-itx, m-atx and atx form factors

just need to screw the standoffs in the correct holes

https://cdn.instructables.com/ORIG/FJD/TETT/GU59XBKK/FJDTETTGU59XBKK.pdf

see page 8-9
You mean unscrew the standoffs that don't fit, and just screw them to the motherboard and not having them being screwed to the case? Is that what you mean?

Do you have a heavy cooler?

Can you lay the case on its side so that the motherboard is parallel to the ground rather than at 90 degrees?

I'd be quite spooked if the motherboard is vertical as it normally would be in a tower case.

Or totally replace all standoffs.

Aug 27, 2019
Do you have a heavy cooler?

Can you lay the case on its side so that the motherboard is parallel to the ground rather than at 90 degrees?

I'd be quite spooked if the motherboard is vertical as it normally would be in a tower case.

Or totally replace all standoffs.
Laying my case horizontal? For what?

I use the Wraith Stealth cooler from the Ryzen 2600 box.

<editied by moderator>
You need to remove everything and put the standoffs in the correct holes. Start each screw with a few turns leaving them slightly loose so you can make minor movements to the motherboard. After all the screws are started you can snug them down.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.