[SOLVED] I port forwarded my router but it is not open ?

Jan 29, 2021
I have tried to open port 2090 on my router, to host a node.js server for my friends.
here is a picture of my router config
unknown.png

It works everywhere on my local network with both localhost(127.0.0.1:2090), my local ip(192.168.0.5:2090) and my public ip(82.211..:2090).
But if i tell my friends to connect to the public ip they dont receive anything.
I have also tested it with a minecraft server which is why you see the port 25565 in there, but it had the same result.

I dont know why the port wont open, any help is appreciated

Solution
Other things I would try is checking your firewall on windows to ensure you havent accidently blocked the connection.

Did both just one server not appear or did both appear and your friend couldn`t join?

Did you follow the guide from fresh or did you edit some of the setting in server.properties? (if you enter the ip address into the settings it doesnt work.)

This is for Java edition and not windows 10/console edition?

Guides for you router can be found here: https://portforward.com/router.htm

RyanJG4321

Reputable
Feb 13, 2019
Hi Nicklasbns,

If you follow this guide you should have it working:

1. Go to https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/download/ and look for Java Edition Server
2. Place the file (server.jar) into a folder and create a text document and name it start.bat, Enter the following into the bat file and save: "java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar server.jar nogui"
3. After running the bat file you will have more files in your folder, Open eula.txt and change eula=false to eula=true and save.
4. Run start.bat again and it'll start generating the world, after it has finished close the server by typing stop into the console.
5.Open command prompt by either searching for cmd or using Win + R and typing "cmd"
6. type ipconfig into the command prompt, you'll need to look for the IPv4 address.
7. Now navigate to your router's webpage as you've shown above and enter the settings as are below:
25565Your IPv4 address25565TCP/UDP / AllEnabled
8.Once you've done that start start.bat and open minecraft
9.Go into multiplayer and add two servers
Server 1: IP IPv4 Address:25565 e.g. 192.168.0.5:25565
Server2 : External IP:25565 ( you can find you external IP by typing my ip into google.)

10. If both servers are online, port forwarding is done correctly, however if just your IPv4 server is online port forwarding has been done wrong.
I checked this was the case by closing the port on my router.

Port forwarding done correctly:
Port Forwarding done incorrectly:
Any more issues let me know and I'll try and help.

Jan 29, 2021
thanks, but this did not fix my problem.
i am also quite sure i have done the port forwarding correctly.
but thanks for the help.

what im thinking is the problem, is maybe my router is behind a bigger NAT from my isp that would change the ip and block incoming traffic, but i dont know enough about this to be sure.

im still very open for any ideas regarding this.

RyanJG4321

Reputable
Feb 13, 2019
Other things I would try is checking your firewall on windows to ensure you havent accidently blocked the connection.

Did both just one server not appear or did both appear and your friend couldn`t join?

Did you follow the guide from fresh or did you edit some of the setting in server.properties? (if you enter the ip address into the settings it doesnt work.)

This is for Java edition and not windows 10/console edition?

Guides for you router can be found here: https://portforward.com/router.htm

Solution