[SOLVED] I recently updated from a 60hz monitor to a 144hz monitor and everything says it is 60hz.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

honourful

Reputable
Dec 28, 2018
I bought the acer gn246hl (a 144hz monitor) and everything says it is 60hz. I checked the windows display options, I checked nvidia display options, I even tried using a custom resolution on the nvidia options and it told me my monitor wasn't suited for 1920x1080 at 144hz. I have an rtx 2060, i have it plugged into a displayport to dvi dual link. I checked the monitor settings and it said the input of the signal wasa at 60hz. No idea what to do, please help.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I'm actually quite amazed at the lack of reading in this thread!

As am I.

Not even just this thread, the monitor in question is literally the opening line of Glenwing's thread, pinned in the section - and something they've already linked.

Or an even better resource would be the thread pinned at the top of this very forum section, in which the first topic covered (labeled in bolded red text) is specifically written for people with this exact model of monitor in this exact situation, and tells you what you need, with links to products, and clearly specifies all the things that won't work: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-connect-to-a-120-hz-display.3268285/

Seriously? 108$ for an active adapter? lol? what scam is that? i can buy an active adapter in my country from the most trusted shop in here for around 43$ or something and have warranty on it. its not worth it.

I'm sure you can buy an "active" adapter, but unless it's DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI, that's pretty irrelevant.

If it truly is Dual-Link, and you can pick them up for ~$43, I'd suggest buying up a couple and sticking them on eBay - Should be an easy 50% profit per.

honourful

Reputable
Dec 28, 2018
This model is fairly old(2014) and was released a year before HDMI 2.0(2015). There are more 1080p 144Hz monitors that don't support 144hz via HDMI than ones that do.

If you two bothered looking at the specs for the monitor, you'd know Displayport isn't an option and that monitor predates HDMI 2.0.
heck

i didnt bother reading the specs because when he said using dual link to hdmi the user was part the issue.

so recommended dp to dp or hdmi to hdmi because they are the only connectors that go over 100hz.
its not my fault he's bought a lemon of a monitor that claimed 144hz even though none of its adapters went over 100hz.

fun fact when 144hz was becoming a thing, i mentioned that none of the connectors supported 144hz and i got laughed at in this very forum.
oh they wouldnt do that.
was the reply.
turns out more than a few manufacturers did. and this is 1 of em.

btw hdmi 2.0 can do 100hz MAX without audio 60hz with audio @1080p. so try disconnecting the hdmi audio lead if you used it you may get the extra bandwidth. if not you may have to disable hdmi audio in your audio options. and it turns out your screen doesnt even support hdmi2.0...

guess your gonna have to get a dual link to hdmi cable and try that...

bignastyid

Titan
i didnt bother reading the specs because when he said using dual link to hdmi the user was part the issue.

Exactly where did the op say this? I can only see where they were using displayport to dvi

so recommended dp to dp or hdmi to hdmi because they are the only connectors that go over 100hz.
its not my fault he's bought a lemon of a monitor that claimed 144hz even though none of its adapters went over 100hz.

fun fact when 144hz was becoming a thing, i mentioned that none of the connectors supported 144hz and i got laughed at in this very forum.
oh they wouldnt do that.
was the reply.

Dual link DVI works just fine for 1080p@144hz used it on my ASUS VG248QE for a couple years till I needed a longer cable so I went displayport.

btw hdmi 2.0 can do 100hz MAX without audio 60hz with audio @1080p. so try disconnecting the hdmi audio lead if you used it you may get the extra bandwidth. if not you may have to disable hdmi audio in your audio options. and it turns out your screen doesnt even support hdmi2.0...

HDMI 2.0 will do 1080p@240hz. For example the BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 and XL2546 will do 1080p@240hz with HDMI 2.0

BTW there are no HDMI to dual link DVI adapters that will actually support 1080p@144Hz.

oldcracc

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
turns out all this is utter bollix.

to get the 144hz you have to connect both the dvi and the hdmi...
go to 3:25 if the vid doesnt start at the correct time. he clearly shows both connections used and why there both used.
Actually, no, you just need the DVI Dual Link cable to achive 144hz. I have this exact monitor and just have a DVI plugged into my graphics card and it works just fine. TimmyJoe made a mistake on that video, he thought that the HDMI supported 144hz when it doesn't, and it worked when he plugged in the DVI cable. This is actually a decent budget monitor nowadays if your using older graphics cards such as the GTX 10 series cards like myself.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
btw hdmi 2.0 can do 100hz MAX without audio 60hz with audio @1080p.

What is this nonsense? Could you post your 'source' for that? As I'd love to see how they arrived at that conclusion.

Heck, HDMI 1.4 can actually do 144Hz 1080p if manufacturers chose to do so. Problem is, it was never implemented like that.
2.0 can do 1440p 144Hz, and 1080p 240Hz

Reactions: Rogue Leader
Even after all the digging and research i decided that ill just give up and use it as a 60hz monitor ig

Why not just return the monitor and get one with a DP connection that will work with your video card? Really the correct thing to have done was to look into the monitor model before getting it, adapters/converters are silly to use since so many 144hz monitors now have a DP port, or newer HDMI ports that can run at past 60hz.

This is pretty good for the same price as the Acer you got, with a DP port https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A0ZRR50/ref=psdc_1292115011_t5_B01E7Q0AKM

random 15 dollar one i got at fry's electronics.

There are NO legitimate active adapters for 15 bucks, no matter where you buy them. Just the cost of the conversion board inside costs way more than that to manufacture. You need to start listening to the solutions being offered by the folks here who have been through every possible problem backwards and sideways, and therefore have already encountered your exact issue fifty times at least. They usually know something about what they are talking about.

If you come to a place to ask for help, and then refuse to listen to what anybody is saying to you because you want there to be an automagical solution that does not exist, you are not going to ever actually resolve your issue. Sometimes the answer you need, in fact USUALLY the answer you NEED, is not the answer you WANT.

Just because you don't want to hear a thing doesn't make the thing any less a fact.

This is the answer you are looking for.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...rything-says-it-is-60hz.3474038/post-20995344

The amount of misinformation in this thread continues to be impressive.

Again, please read section 0 here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-connect-to-a-120-hz-display.3268285/

DP and HDMI are not the only connectors that support over 100 Hz. Dual-Link DVI also supports it.

One of the connectors on the monitor does go over 100 Hz.

It is your fault when you recommend solutions which are incompatible with the OP's situation. However, I see a lot of newer members to the community are very accustomed to newer models only, which always have DP, and many support high refresh rates over HDMI, so it is understandable that these incompatibilities might be unexpected to you, and you may have not thought to check these things. So it is ok. However, it is a good chance to learn about the capabilities of DVI, and the limitations of older devices, since you appear to be unaware of them.

Ah, so you are not new to the community after all, and have been well-aware of the connector limitations of these monitors for years. I see. I assume people informed you about the capabilities of DVI at that time, so I'm confused about why you are unaware that it is fully capable of 144 Hz.

oh they wouldnt do that.
was the reply.
The community was correct, no manufacturer has produced a 144 Hz monitor that has no connectors supporting 144 Hz.

No, this monitor is not an example of that, since it has one connector that does support 144 Hz (DVI), not none.

btw hdmi 2.0 can do 100hz MAX without audio 60hz with audio @1080p.
This is misinformation. If you believe it is correct, please prove it.

so try disconnecting the hdmi audio lead
Which HDMI audio lead are you referring to?

if you used it you may get the extra bandwidth. if not you may have to disable hdmi audio in your audio options.
Standard stereo PCM audio for computer/monitor speakers uses about 1.5 Mbit/s. This is an extra 0.03 Hz at 1080p if it could be used for video bandwidth. Even a full 8 channel lossless DTS-HD stream at maximum bitrate is about 25 Mbit/s, or about 0.5 extra frames per second at 1080p. The bandwidth used by audio is insignificant.

Dual-Link DVI to HDMI cables do not actually exist, as covered in section 4.5.2 here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-connect-to-a-120-hz-display.3268285/

Last edited:
honourful Truthfully, if I were in your position, I would buy the following new 1080p 144 Hz display: AOC G2590FX
I own three of these, and they are a great value: 1080p / 24.5" / 144 Hz / 1ms refresh g2g / FreeSync, G-Sync compatible (1st tier) / $199.99 USD
https://www.amazon.com/AOC-G2590FX-Framless-1920x1080-DisplayPort/dp/B07D377Q6D

Then I would either sell the current Acer display or use it as a 2nd display, but only at 60 Hz. Unfortunately, it might be
challenging to sell it for a reasonable price, once people learn that the 144 Hz functionality only works through DVI.

I would also buy a quality DisplayPort cable, such as the one below. It's 6 feet long which is sufficient for most, although I personally opt for 10 feet, so in case I want my rig further away from my desk.

Cable Matters DisplayPort to DisplayPort Cable (DP to DP Cable) 6 Feet - 4K Resolution Ready
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-Feet-Resolution/dp/B005H3Q59U/