[SOLVED] I Think I´ve made a mistake !

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
hi ,
I was working on my computer today and I had to reconnect my GPU PCI-e cable ...
the problem here is that I was with PSU power switch on , computer was off but the power cord connected too. I usually don´t forget to switch off the PSU switch but this me it have happen . the pc have turned on and it´s been working for 1 hour already , could have been made some damage anyway ?
My psu is a bitfenix formula gold of 550w , just in case that this info helps in something .

Solution
One time, okay. But try to remember to turn it off or unplug it the next time, or any other time, when you are working on anything inside the case. Doesn't matter if you are plugging or unplugging, or doing something else. Always TRY to remember to flip the power switch to the "O" position or unplug it from the wall, first. But for THIS time, yes, you should be fine.
Obviously, it's better to turn the PSU off or unplug it anytime you are working inside the case, but that is only a precaution against shorting something out. It doesn't mean you WILL short something out by working inside the case. If it's working fine, then it is. If it wasn't, you'd know.

Reactions: Rui Neves

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
Obviously, it's better to turn the PSU off or unplug it anytime you are working inside the case, but that is only a precaution against shorting something out. It doesn't mean you WILL short something out by working inside the case. If it's working fine, then it is. If it wasn't, you'd know.
okay thank you , so since I don´t connect anything wrong or the wrong way I am fine if I forget to turn off the PSU ?

One time, okay. But try to remember to turn it off or unplug it the next time, or any other time, when you are working on anything inside the case. Doesn't matter if you are plugging or unplugging, or doing something else. Always TRY to remember to flip the power switch to the "O" position or unplug it from the wall, first. But for THIS time, yes, you should be fine.

Solution
That, doesn't make a bit of difference. It's STILL a good idea to power the unit off anytime you are working inside. Residual or stored charges, the aforementioned faulty or cheap quality power supply condition and "unforeseen" circumstances are all against you. It's simply safer to make sure it is all off, but as I first said and agree with, so long as you don't do anything "wrong" and connect things where they are supposed to go without any "oops" moments, then it's usually going to turn out fine and be perfectly safe. It's just not something you want to do INTENTIONALLY.

Rui Neves

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2014
yes I know was a stupid mistake ... is not usual to make it .