[SOLVED] I think my PSU needs replacing

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
I'm pretty sure my PSU needs replacing, and probably picking one up later on today. I thought I'd ask quick and see if I got any opinions, too.
My system is a Core i9 11900K, Asus Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi, 4 x 8GB 3200 @ 3600, 2 m.2 1TB, a 1TB FireCuda, Aorus RTX3090 Extreme, and a custom loop 360 watercooler for the CPU.
My previous system that went to my son is a Core i9 10940X with the same RAM, storage, and at the beginning two GTX 1080tis in SLI. Sold one, and was running a single. Upgraded my system, so at the beginning the GTX 1080ti was in the Z590.
Case is a be quiet! 801 Base, and the PSU is a Corsair HX1200i. Those are the only two things that have been the same.
For the past while, I'd say over a year, but getting more and more, my system would crash and restart. Most times no BSOD, just hard restart. Turned off all overclocking, reformatted countless times, tested the RAM and tested the m.2 (just remembered, at first that was an Adata SX8200 Pro, but that's now storage and my OS is WD SN850). My son's system, which was my old system, has never caused him problems, but did when I had it in that case and PSU. Now I can't even get 10 minutes into gaming before it restarts on me. As I said, the only common factors were the case and PSU.

Solution
so, apparently this is going to be a stupid question, but I'm old and still go by the old saying, "the only stupid question is the one not asked".
The be quiet! Dark Pro 12 (and others I'm assuming) advertise (as well as Tom's review here talk about this overclocking jumper which turns the six 'virtual' 12V rails combined into one, but I have no idea what that means.

Same as toggling single/multiple +12V rails in iCUE for your HX1000i. It switches the +12V over to multiple circuits each with it's own OCP.

I know a long time ago companies selling PSUs basically marketed it as a safety thing, but any decent PSU, the so called "safety" part would more or less be covered by the OCP. So, what does this "overclocking"...

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Have you tried using the 1080ti to see if it still crashes? Also I would switch over to Hd graphics and see if the problem persists.
I actually sold the second 1080ti. The computer also only crashed when stressed, but inconsistent. Like, it would play for maybe 15 minutes, then crash, and then wouldn't be able to play that long again unless I had it off for a while or something. I tried running Cinebench to stress the CPU and didn't have any problems, then I ran furmark and crashed right away, so I figured it had something to do with the GPU. I unplugged the power cables to the GPU and plugged them back in, both from the GPU and the PSU. Last night I also tried it with a single 8 pin cable for each of the three lines instead of using a 2 + 1 (the 3090 uses 3 x 8 pin) and that didn't help.
There was another 'component' that I didn't post and thought of after. My computer was plugged into a UPS battery back up. I've had it for a long time and replaced the batteries in it some time last year. I can't remember if I had the issues before or after that. I do know that I was running my gaming rig plugged into it, as well as plugged into the wall, but that was months ago and I don't remember if I had issues either way with it. I've had a pretty hectic couple of years, like most people. But I also had a lot of personal issues, including bad health problems (not Covid) as well as being evicted from our old place because the owner wanted to make more money on rent (he gave the excuse his daughter wanted the place, which was BS).
Anyway, after I made this post, I unplugged it from the UPS and was playing Horizon Zero Dawn for more than an hour without issue. That's the game I've been playing lately and the one that's been crashing. I was planning on going to my doctor's office and then to a computer store (I had to move almost an hour away, so I was planning on doing both at the same time) today, but now that it seems to be working so far I think I'll keep going with it and go to the doctor's tomorrow. If the computer goes back to crashing, I'll probably pick up a new PSU. If it plays fine, I'll pass on the new PSU and just go to the doctor's tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure my PSU needs replacing, and probably picking one up later on today. I thought I'd ask quick and see if I got any opinions, too.
My system is a Core i9 11900K, Asus Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi, 4 x 8GB 3200 @ 3600, 2 m.2 1TB, a 1TB FireCuda, Aorus RTX3090 Extreme, and a custom loop 360 watercooler for the CPU.
My previous system that went to my son is a Core i9 10940X with the same RAM, storage, and at the beginning two GTX 1080tis in SLI. Sold one, and was running a single. Upgraded my system, so at the beginning the GTX 1080ti was in the Z590.
Case is a be quiet! 801 Base, and the PSU is a Corsair HX1200i. Those are the only two things that have been the same.
For the past while, I'd say over a year, but getting more and more, my system would crash and restart. Most times no BSOD, just hard restart. Turned off all overclocking, reformatted countless times, tested the RAM and tested the m.2 (just remembered, at first that was an Adata SX8200 Pro, but that's now storage and my OS is WD SN850). My son's system, which was my old system, has never caused him problems, but did when I had it in that case and PSU. Now I can't even get 10 minutes into gaming before it restarts on me. As I said, the only common factors were the case and PSU.

Are you using any extensions cables with the PSU?

Are you using three separate PCIe cables on your card or are you using a pig-tail cable to populate two of the power connectors?

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Are you using any extensions cables with the PSU?

Are you using three separate PCIe cables on your card or are you using a pig-tail cable to populate two of the power connectors?
I know my posts are pretty long, but they are full of info. My PC was connected to a UPS, then this morning I plugged it straight into the wall, no power bar or extension cord. Played for hours and then it crapped out. Once it crashed once, it started crashing more and more frequently.
The Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Master takes three 8 pin. Before I was using 2 PCIe cables in a 2 + 1. I also tried other cables, combos, and jacks in the PSU. I also hooked up three separate PCIe cables, so one line for each 8 pin. I did that, plus plugging it into the wall directly this morning.
Part of me wonders about overheating, even with the watercooling system. The room is fairly small, and even with the ceiling fan going full, case open, window open and door open, it gets really hot in that room. But with today's tech, it should thermal throttle, not just hard crash.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
What I was asking is if you were using DC extension cables. Like these: https://www.amazon.com/Asiahorse-Customization-Sleeve-Extension-Supply/dp/B07C735N9C
ah, no. Just the cables that came with the Corsair PSU.
And huge apologies if my response came out as curt in any way. I have a lot of health problems that have been really piling up and having a bad day for pain.
I never heard the term "pig tail", but I'm assuming you were talking about how most PSU PCIe cables have a single line and 2 jacks to connect to a GPU. When I was running by two 1080tis, I was using two cables, filling 4 jacks that way. For a while I was using the same 2 cables for the 3090 in a 2 + 1. I've tried changing them around, different cables, different ports on the PSU, etc. I really thought I might have had it beat when I took out the UPS. Played quite a lot today - helps distract me from pain on bad days. Then it crashed. Restarted, played for a while again, then crashed, then kept consistently crashing.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Also, not sure how old the PSU is anymore. Pretty sure it's 6+, and I did have it running 24/7 for mining a few years back with the two 1080tis.
I can't even get it to last 2 minutes tonight. The PSU I was looking at picking up tomorrow is the be quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1200W. That and the 1500W is on sale, and would be tempted to get the 1500W, but it's not in stock anywhere close.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
so, apparently this is going to be a stupid question, but I'm old and still go by the old saying, "the only stupid question is the one not asked".
The be quiet! Dark Pro 12 (and others I'm assuming) advertise (as well as Tom's review here talk about this overclocking jumper which turns the six 'virtual' 12V rails combined into one, but I have no idea what that means. I know a long time ago companies selling PSUs basically marketed it as a safety thing, but any decent PSU, the so called "safety" part would more or less be covered by the OCP. So, what does this "overclocking" jumper actually do, besides combine the "virtual" rails into one? They are virtual anyway, but either way, what does that mean for the consumer?

The be quiet! Dark Pro 12 (and others I'm assuming) advertise (as well as Tom's review here talk about this overclocking jumper which turns the six 'virtual' 12V rails combined into one, but I have no idea what that means.

Same as toggling single/multiple +12V rails in iCUE for your HX1000i. It switches the +12V over to multiple circuits each with it's own OCP.

I know a long time ago companies selling PSUs basically marketed it as a safety thing, but any decent PSU, the so called "safety" part would more or less be covered by the OCP. So, what does this "overclocking" jumper actually do, besides combine the "virtual" rails into one? They are virtual anyway, but either way, what does that mean for the consumer?

Multiple +12V rails IS OCP. It's multiple OCP. So it's just multiplying the number of safety measures.

Here: http://jongerow.com/multiple-12V-rails/index.html

Solution

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008

Multiple +12V rails IS OCP. It's multiple OCP. So it's just multiplying the number of safety measures.

Here: http://jongerow.com/multiple-12V-rails/index.html
that stuff I knew. I'm asking what is the point. How does this affect the average person, or gamer, or overclocker? They are advertising/promoting, and companies are doing reviews on it without saying what it's use is.
"We added this shiny new button here"
"what's it do"
"oh, we can't tell you that, it's a secret. But it's shiny, and it's new, so you need it"

And, yes, I have seen that "gamers prefer single rail....." But did it make any difference in this, or any of the other PSUs?

that stuff I knew. I'm asking what is the point. How does this affect the average person, or gamer, or overclocker? They are advertising/promoting, and companies are doing reviews on it without saying what it's use is.
"We added this shiny new button here"
"what's it do"
"oh, we can't tell you that, it's a secret. But it's shiny, and it's new, so you need it"

And, yes, I have seen that "gamers prefer single rail....." But did it make any difference in this, or any of the other PSUs?

So you didn't read what I linked.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
to be honest, I skimmed through it quickly. It was already late at night and as I had mentioned, my health hasn't been doing very well lately. Plus, I had already read the review for the PSU, as well as other reviews, as well as Googled trying to find info on the "overclocking switch" to see what it actually does. I had found info on what the difference is between a single rail vs multiple, but not how it actually made any difference. I'm going to take a better look now, but there's also still a part of me that believes it should be explained more in reviewing the PSU. I've been building computers for 30 years and worked for Apple Canada, IBM, and other computer companies in the past, and while I can easily admit that I don't know everything, I don't think I've ever seen a review that benchmarks the two. Now I'm also wondering if that might have been the problem with my Corsair. If it makes a difference, were the single 12v rails weak on their own? Should I have tested grouping them? I've tried the iCue software a few times, but it doesn't agree with my system setup. That, and certain other programs don't let you change your computer display settings like turning SLI on and off, or NVidia Surround (three displays) on and off, while running. You have to quite the program any time you want to do that, even when running in the background.

ps. I actually have a lot of Corsair products, including my server in a 750D with extra drive bay cages, two LSI 9260-8i SAS cards, 16 HDD, 1TB m.2, a 120GB SSD for OS, and a GTX 1060 for Plex hardware encoding. When I got my custom loop water cooler for my gaming rig, I moved my Corsair H150i Pro XT into my server, the one running the Core i7 6850K, and now also the 4 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM. It also has a Corsair 750W PSU (or maybe 850, I can't remember. I have/had one of each in the house). I used to be a huge fan of Corsair and have a lot of their products. Deleting my previous statement. Corsair reached out to me, which was a huge, pleasant surprise. I don't want to go into details, other than to say that they went far to make amends, and did so in a very friendly manner.
Anyways, rambling again. Bad habit. Still, curious if that might have been the problem, that setting with the Corsair 12V rails and not being able to keep up with power hungry Core i9 11900K and high end RTX 3090.

Last edited:

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
fyi, huge thank you for chiming in with this stuff. I checked out a bit of your video after reading that site you linked, and also found some from/with Steve from GamersNexus. I was a little surprised to find out that you were that 'jonnyguru'. I didn't really pay attention to the names of the responses. So much to do, so little time, and my own body restricting what I can do vs. what I want to do.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Now I have a new problem, lol. I attached the switch for the O/C and turned it on from the start, figuring that the 11900k AND the RTX 3090 Extreme both like to pull extra power for their little boosts, and I've had no problems with the PC in that regards. Problem now is that when my son and I both are trying to game, we're tripping the AFCI breaker in the basement. Both systems are probably close to the 15amp limit as it is, but those spikes definitely trigger it. No problem if we're both on and one or the other is gaming, but can't both be.