Question I upgraded my cpu from 5600 to 5800x3d and have questions and issues?

tmarigney

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
I just upgraded from 5600 to a 5800x3d on a b450m motherboard and want to know if I should update my bios and reinstall windows? I know that a 5800x3d on pcie gen 3 isn't ideal, but I know that my performance shouldn't decrease with a significantly better cpu. Also, I booted my computer and it seemed to change my bios and require me to setup a new pin which is now leading to a popup on my screen saying sign in required learn more at aka.ms/accountrecovery. I play a lot of call of duty and I noticed when I ran the benchmark that my fps average was 10% lower, but my cpu fps scores were higher. I'm just confused on why it seems my computer is somewhat slower. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Specs:
5800x3d
Asus 3060 ti ko gaming oc v2
b450m pro m2 max
corsair 550w psu
sp 3200 mhz 2xgb ram (xmp enabled)

You should have updated to the latest BIOS for that motherboard before installing that CPU, but since it booted it seems at least you had a BIOS that supported the CPU. I would update BIOS to the latest version for the motherboard and then reset CMOS.

With that out of the way you need to be on Windows 10 or preferably Windows 11 for the best performance optimizations. Your ram speed is at the minimum of acceptable speed for the CPU as well but the motherboard you have probably does not support much faster speeds anyways. 3600 mghz cl16 RAM is typically seen as the best case for 3000 and 5000 series AMD CPUs.

As far as those security messages are concerned, they are related to you changing the CPU. When you change hardware, specifically the motherboard or the CPU, you get TPM related messages related to security keys. Here is a link regarding that.

I also suspect that you need the latest chipset drivers to be installed on the PC for the B450 chipset. These chipset drivers have many CPU related optimizations as well. You can get those drivers here. If you have any more questions let us know and update us on how it goes.

tmarigney

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
3dv cache is weird with windows. Make sure you are on latest bios and you will likely need a fresh windows install. Performance should be significantly better on 5800x3d.
So I should update my bios, then reset, the cmos, then download the chipset drivers, then fresh reinstall windows?

Reactions: helper800

tmarigney

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
You should have updated to the latest BIOS for that motherboard before installing that CPU, but since it booted it seems at least you had a BIOS that supported the CPU. I would update BIOS to the latest version for the motherboard and then reset CMOS.

With that out of the way you need to be on Windows 10 or preferably Windows 11 for the best performance optimizations. Your ram speed is at the minimum of acceptable speed for the CPU as well but the motherboard you have probably does not support much faster speeds anyways. 3600 mghz cl16 RAM is typically seen as the best case for 3000 and 5000 series AMD CPUs.

As far as those security messages are concerned, they are related to you changing the CPU. When you change hardware, specifically the motherboard or the CPU, you get TPM related messages related to security keys. Here is a link regarding that.

I also suspect that you need the latest chipset drivers to be installed on the PC for the B450 chipset. These chipset drivers have many CPU related optimizations as well. You can get those drivers here. If you have any more questions let us know and update us on how it goes.
This is the version of bios im running and this is the latest one out (in the images). Should I install the most recent one, the download on top? (version AI from the current version AF)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15JJKgdHko9AryZ3F-7mpkYBCDW28pwkJ/view?usp=share_link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C8wqUtX3q3Fh6kzNpl2BjuakeEq5yLT5/view?usp=share_link

D

Deleted member 2947362

Updating the Bios will ensure your board is updated with any found/known security flaws as well as latest support for CPU's, Ram, USB devices etc and any bugs found in older Bios

check and make sure the Bios does not have to be upgrade incrementally to the latest before updating.

Reactions: helper800
Update bios and fresh install and chipset drivers. The rest is unnecessary.....
Resetting CMOS after a BIOS update is not unnecessary. This ensures that settings from the prior flash cannot be present. This will prevent any issues related to settings from the prior BIOS lingering after a flash and cause issue. It can and does happen.