i upgraded my pc and i have that annoying windows 10 watermark.

EmberVine

Reputable
Mar 21, 2015
my old pc had windows 7 and i used the free upgrade they gave out to get windows 10, now that i have this pc i tried my windows 7 product key that i had before getting the free upgrade and it didnt work, anything i can do?

Solution
Did you do a reinstall of the OS, or did the system just boot up with the new hardware?

As said, your old Win 7 key is of no consequence anymore.

However, your Win 10 digital entitlement would deactivate itself upon seeing the new hardware.
You should have done this before you changed the hardware:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html

This links the OS license to your MS account rather than to specific hardware.
That way, you can just do a full reinstall with the new parts, and have it activateed.

Now...pretty much your only recourse is to call MS, explain the situation, and see if they will allow reuse of that license key on the new hardware.
I've read from several members in here that...

USAFRet

Titan

You can't use your old Win 7 license key.

You had Win 7
You upgraded to Win 10?
Was this Upgrade to Win 10 before August 2016?
Was the OS activated?

Then what happened?
You have a whole new PC?
And it is not activated?

EmberVine

Reputable
Mar 21, 2015

I upgraded before august yes, then i got a new case motherboard and cpu, i used all of my old parts including my hard drive. But yes windows 10 was activated before i switched some parts around.

USAFRet

Titan
Did you do a reinstall of the OS, or did the system just boot up with the new hardware?

As said, your old Win 7 key is of no consequence anymore.

However, your Win 10 digital entitlement would deactivate itself upon seeing the new hardware.
You should have done this before you changed the hardware:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html

This links the OS license to your MS account rather than to specific hardware.
That way, you can just do a full reinstall with the new parts, and have it activateed.

Now...pretty much your only recourse is to call MS, explain the situation, and see if they will allow reuse of that license key on the new hardware.
I've read from several members in here that they did exactly that.

Solution