Question I want to have 3 operating systems on my computer OR.....

LeeRex

Distinguished
May 19, 2015
am I just asking for trouble? I want Win10, Win11 and a version of Linux. There's plenty of space on my Alienware Aurora r7. Till now, I've stuffed Win11 & Linux into a virtual box but now I want to have all 3 systems running side-by-side. But this makes me a bit nervous as I worry about, uh, CONFLICTS. Would they be truly independent? Or am I worried for no good reason?
And, by the way, how do I even do such a thing?

NanoSuit3

Honorable
Jun 1, 2017
Your worrying for no good reason lol......................................You could try making a triple boot drive but that's kinda meaningless as 10 & 11 basically parallel OSs' what with Linux being with it lol. Try getting another basic system and put any of those 3 OS on it or something lol..............................

Basically in this order:
  • Install W10 - use advanced options and ensure you don't use the whole disk (like - us a third of the space).
  • Then install W11 on another partition with equal size of the W10 partition.
  • At least - install Linux. Read or wathc youtube on how to install it alongside Windows.
The rules for installing order are:
  • Oldest windows version must be installed first.
  • Linux OS must be installed last.
However, the more numbers of OS'es installed on a hdd, the greater the risk for something to goes wrong. So just install the OS'es and only after then when you know that you can boot into each OS successfully you should start actually using the OS'es.

USAFRet

Titan
am I just asking for trouble? I want Win10, Win11 and a version of Linux. There's plenty of space on my Alienware Aurora r7. Till now, I've stuffed Win11 & Linux into a virtual box but now I want to have all 3 systems running side-by-side. But this makes me a bit nervous as I worry about, uh, CONFLICTS. Would they be truly independent? Or am I worried for no good reason?
If 11 and Linux are in VMs, you have zero to worry about.
No conflicts. The VHD for each are almost 100% independent.

I generally have a WIn 10 VM running within a Win 11 host.
And often a Linux instance as well.

If you want each to boot in the native hardware...see Grobs info above.

But why the 10 and 11?

And this, of course, means only ONE OS running at a time. Not 2 or 3.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
3 eh? Windows 10 and 11 make 2. When my gen4 4790k and motherboard lose windows 10 support I will make it a linux machine. I have dealt with Unix, Linux, AmigaDos and MSDOS from the get go. Windows 11 suits my old ass style perfectly.