I want to play original Everquest

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phonedude <fonedude@verizon.net> wrote:
> I wish there were a server for original Everquest. By that I mean with
> *no* expansions. No Kunark, no Velious, no Luclin, no lizards, cats,
> or frogs. No bazaar, no book of knowledge, no maps, and none of the
> other "enhancements" that have taken the thrill out of the game and
> replaced it with monotony. I want it to be challenging to get from
> Freeport to Qeynos -- either sneak through Kithicor or find a wizard.
> Run like hell. Make the journey more fun than the destination. It
> used to be that way.
>
> I want there to be a meaningful penalty when you die. I want druids
> and wizards to be able to make a living teleporting people. I don't
> want magic trails leading me to my goals. I don't want NPCs chasing me
> down to give me quests. Make tailoring a valuable skill again -- no
> armor quests.
>
> Make the game hard again. I'd be glad to pay a premium to play on a
> server that had no expansions or enhancements. Bring back the original
> game.
>
> Anyone else?

I would actually consider re-subscribing if EverQuest had a server for
original EQ + Kunark + Velious. I would even consider re-subscribing
just for original EQ...

Luclin was a step in the wrong direction (imho) and PoP was just
terrible. PoK devastated the starting cities. The PoK books made the
world seem tiny. Everyone started hurrying around and...

Blech. It just all totally fell apart with PoP, at least for me...

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:27:23 GMT, "Fonedude" <fonedude@verizon.net>
wrote:

>"Meldur" <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in message
>> On 31 Aug 2005 06:24:36 -0700, "steve.kaye"
>> <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:

>>>That trip from FV to LOIO was just as hard for the "evil" races - those
>>>see-invis spiders used to splat my dark elf too. And there were a few
>>>paladin types that used to run through the tunnels before you got to
>>>the spiders who used to kill her too.
>>
>> Sorry,cant follow you here.As an "evil" race or class,you would have
>> started your Kunark adventures in Overthere.What were you doing
>> as a Dark Elf in FV,certainly you were "kos" there?
>
>It's the same for any port zone. The wizard spires don't have guards around
>them, so you port in and head for LOIO avoiding the town altogether.

Where are the Wizard Spires in FV?
Now you confused me more. =)

Meldur

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <qloch15qgo2bnni9d3l0le8mfsld9vb3gp@4ax.com>, Meldur@t-
online.de says...
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:27:23 GMT, "Fonedude" <fonedude@verizon.net>
> wrote:
>

> >"Meldur" <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in message

> >> Sorry,cant follow you here.As an "evil" race or class,you would have
> >> started your Kunark adventures in Overthere.What were you doing
> >> as a Dark Elf in FV,certainly you were "kos" there?
> >
> >It's the same for any port zone. The wizard spires don't have guards around
> >them, so you port in and head for LOIO avoiding the town altogether.
>
> Where are the Wizard Spires in FV?
> Now you confused me more. =)

I presume he was making the run from DL -> FV -> LOIO.

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:36:55 GMT, "Fonedude" <fonedude@verizon.net>
wrote:

>"Meldur" <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in message
>[snip]
>>
>> One problem you didnt mention was overcrowding,of course
>> everyone wanted the best reward with the least necessary effort,
>> which leads to finding nice places camped 24h a day,for example
>> the haste items in Lower Guk and Velk's.
>> Only solution I see here is some kind of instancing.
>.
>LOL -- I logged in the other day, took my old, old paladin and wandered on
>down to lower guk. I was the only player in the zone. Sad.

Well,I was talking about the time when EQ was just Original EQ,Kunark
and Velious,I know that the old world dungeons are deserted nowadays.
So whats the point of your post ?

Meldur

Fonedude wrote:
> [snip long argument]
>
> Sorry. It wasn't my intent to start a debate on whether the fully enhanced
> and expaned game is better or worse than the original. Obviously that's a
> matter of taste. I was just wondering if there was anyone else who'd like
> to go back and play the orginal game with all its warts and problems, as
> opposed to playing the current version with all the changes and additions.
>
> Why can't SOE simply create one server (I am sure they have archive software
> somewhere) and turn it up at the level of the game before Kunark? Or even
> with Kunark? I'd prefer without, but I'm somewhat flexible.
>
> If such a server existed would any of you use it?
>
> Larry

There is apparantly a petition on the official EQ boards for just such a
thing,
currently SOE's response is that there isn't enough player interest for them
to do so; they admit that they have the capacity, but don't want to
create a really low population server.

So if you're really into it, you might try searching the web to find
said petition and joining it.

Someone said its up to 16 pages thus far, again, I haven't looked at it
myself so I don't know if that means 16 people are interested, or that a
"page" means a thousand people so this would be the biggest server ever,
or something in between.

I'd vote for the original trilogy, by the way, include Kunark and
Velious, otherwise, well honestly its a pretty small world for people
who know how to play the game, you'd probably beat it in a month (and
some power gamers will be on who will have it beat in a week)

A smart variation would be for them to run it strictly original for a
month, add Kunark then, wait another month, then add Velious.

I would, however, be saddened by the absence of Vah Shir (not having
frogloks wouldn't annoy me much), Beastlords, and Berserkers.

Lance

Meldur wrote:
> On 31 Aug 2005 06:24:36 -0700, "steve.kaye"
> <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:
>

> >Meldur wrote:
> >> On 30 Aug 2005 10:39:41 -0700, "Phonedude" <fonedude@verizon.net>
> >> wrote:
> >
> >> The trip to Kunark comes to my mind,very time consuming to go there
> >> and reaching the hunting grounds was a challenge too especially for
> >> "good" races.I cant count the times I was killed on the run from FV to
> >> LOIO by those through invis looking spiders with my Druid.
> >
> >That trip from FV to LOIO was just as hard for the "evil" races - those
> >see-invis spiders used to splat my dark elf too. And there were a few
> >paladin types that used to run through the tunnels before you got to
> >the spiders who used to kill her too.
>
> Sorry,cant follow you here.As an "evil" race or class,you would have
> started your Kunark adventures in Overthere.What were you doing
> as a Dark Elf in FV,certainly you were "kos" there?

She was an Agnostic Enchanter so I can be in FV safely. That's not too
relevant, though, because I was talking about the run from the PoK book
in FV to LOIO.

steve.kaye

Lance Berg wrote:

> At any rate, leaving your home zone as a newbie doesn't make sense to an
> experienced player. We're talking here again about genuine newbies;
> they don't know that. Without any knowledge of the game, its not at all
> odd for them to expect that they could make a party with a variety of
> characters that come together and play as a group. After all, its a
> Multiplayer game.

I have to ask, is documentation ingame and in the box so scant these
days that a true newbie would come into the game for the first time
thinking this? I mean, let's assume for a moment that it never occurs
to them that a gameworld might have different starting cities for
different races (after all, there are plenty of RPGs with cities that
are home to many different races, although frequently it's, for
example, a human city with a dwarf or gnome ghetto), isn't there
something in the box and ingame during character creation that shows
you that if you're a dwarf, you're starting in Kaladim, if you're a
dark elf, it's Neriak, etc etc, and that this is a different starting
location from other races?

Golly, how did we ever manage before PoK?

42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in

> In article <qloch15qgo2bnni9d3l0le8mfsld9vb3gp@4ax.com>, Meldur@t-
> online.de says...
>> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 21:27:23 GMT, "Fonedude" <fonedude@verizon.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>> >"Meldur" <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in message

>> >It's the same for any port zone. The wizard spires don't have
>> >guards around them, so you port in and head for LOIO avoiding the
>> >town altogether.
>>
>> Where are the Wizard Spires in FV?
>> Now you confused me more. =)
>
> I presume he was making the run from DL -> FV -> LOIO.

I usually did it DL->FM->LoIO, no pesky see invis spiders on the way, and
reasonably safe if you stay on the zone wall in FM.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 37 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner

On 1 Sep 2005 11:39:07 -0700, "Charles Whitney" <cbillingsw@yahoo.com>
wrote:
>I have to ask, is documentation ingame and in the box so scant these
>days that a true newbie would come into the game for the first time
>thinking this? I mean, let's assume for a moment that it never occurs

When I bought the game in May of 2004, the book that came with the
cdroms and the character creation screens let me know the character
races had different starting cities. But I vaguely remember it also
being mentioned all could group. Of course, thats after pok.

I could be misremembering, but I had to evacuate for Hurricane Katrina
and that computer and cdroms, etc. are likely lost.

D.J. on the road.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <p6oeh1dg22sobjuqqlgkrog5c8a3e8i6ll@4ax.com>, jolly73
@cableone.net says...

> On 1 Sep 2005 11:39:07 -0700, "Charles Whitney" <cbillingsw@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >I have to ask, is documentation ingame and in the box so scant these
> >days that a true newbie would come into the game for the first time
> >thinking this? I mean, let's assume for a moment that it never occurs
>
> When I bought the game in May of 2004, the book that came with the
> cdroms and the character creation screens let me know the character
> races had different starting cities. But I vaguely remember it also
> being mentioned all could group. Of course, thats after pok.

"could" in that last statement simply means "allowed". Ie Trolls are
allowed to group with high elves. Palis are allowed to group with SKs.
The game doesn't enforce racial predjudices on player characters
grouping choices.

There's a lot of things that you "can't" do as a level 1 newbie. From
killing dragons to surviving the jump from kelethin to the ground. You
are allowed to do those things, and its fair to say that players CAN do
them, even if *YOU* can't.

Part of starting a new character is picking a starting city. Obviously
certain races have limited selections and there is a map and
explanation given.

"Charles Whitney" <cbillingsw@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I have to ask, is documentation ingame and in the box so scant these
> days that a true newbie would come into the game for the first time
> thinking this? I mean, let's assume for a moment that it never occurs
> to them that a gameworld might have different starting cities for
> different races (after all, there are plenty of RPGs with cities that
> are home to many different races, although frequently it's, for
> example, a human city with a dwarf or gnome ghetto), isn't there
> something in the box and ingame during character creation that shows
> you that if you're a dwarf, you're starting in Kaladim, if you're a
> dark elf, it's Neriak, etc etc, and that this is a different starting
> location from other races?
>
> Golly, how did we ever manage before PoK?

My game disk was on the front of a pc magazine - no printed instruction
manual with it but there was one on the disk and also available from the
sony website.

"Charles Whitney" <cbillingsw@yahoo.com> wrote in

> isn't there
> something in the box and ingame during character creation that shows
> you that if you're a dwarf, you're starting in Kaladim, if you're a
> dark elf, it's Neriak, etc etc, and that this is a different starting
> location from other races?

I am trying to remember from when I created a character a month ago. In the
character creation area, there is nothing to indicate it. There is nothing
in the tutorial to indicate so either.

I skimmed the manual, so I can't ber certain if it is mentioned that they
have different starting areas. It is mentioned (I think) that they have
different home cities, but I don't remember anything about the starting
area.

--
Marcel
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

"Phonedude" <fonedude@verizon.net> wrote in news:1125678024.450970.260130
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> Part of starting a new character is picking a starting city. Obviously
> certain races have limited selections and there is a map and
> explanation given.

Hunh, I don't remember that being there, although the races I picked may
not have been given an option for starting city. I certainly don't remember
a map when creating a character.

Please learn how to use the Quote option in Google groups. It makes it much
easier for other people to respond to your posts.

--
Marcel
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/

Mark Peterson wrote:
> Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
>
>> "Phonedude" <fonedude@verizon.net> wrote in news:1125678024.450970.260130
>> @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:
>>

>>> Part of starting a new character is picking a starting city. Obviously
>>> certain races have limited selections and there is a map and
>>> explanation given.
>>

>> Hunh, I don't remember that being there, although the races I picked
>> may not have been given an option for starting city. I certainly don't
>> remember a map when creating a character.
>>

>> Please learn how to use the Quote option in Google groups. It makes it
>> much easier for other people to respond to your posts.
>

> You are correct Marcel. It is no longer there since the new tutorial.
> When you finish the new version, you are transported to PoK and told to
> go see an NPC in the library. The NPC gives you a series of tasks that
> introduce your class trainer and other NPC's who give out tasks. No
> mention of your home city is mentioned.

Actually, your home city is a part of creating your character. For those
characters who only have one home city (Vah Shir, Frogloks, etc.,) it
might be a matter of not having to click the home city you want, but
it still has to be clicked past. Unless, of course, that's been changed
in the last few weeks since I created my last character.

Tracey

Tracey <rbrancher2@aol.com> wrote in news:43188C97.1070907@aol.com:

> Mark Peterson wrote:
>> Marcel Beaudoin wrote:
>>
>>> "Phonedude" <fonedude@verizon.net> wrote in
>>> news:1125678024.450970.260130 @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

>>> Hunh, I don't remember that being there, although the races I picked
>>> may not have been given an option for starting city. I certainly
>>> don't remember a map when creating a character.
>>>

>>> Please learn how to use the Quote option in Google groups. It makes
>>> it much easier for other people to respond to your posts.
>>

>> You are correct Marcel. It is no longer there since the new tutorial.
>> When you finish the new version, you are transported to PoK and told
>> to go see an NPC in the library. The NPC gives you a series of tasks
>> that introduce your class trainer and other NPC's who give out tasks.
>> No mention of your home city is mentioned.
>
> Actually, your home city is a part of creating your character. For
> those characters who only have one home city (Vah Shir, Frogloks,
> etc.,) it might be a matter of not having to click the home city you
> want, but it still has to be clicked past. Unless, of course, that's
> been changed in the last few weeks since I created my last character.

It would appear to be basically immaterial to game play now however.

--

In article <Xns96C586D3AD81Arichardrapiernetscap@130.133.1.4>,
RichardRapier@netscape.net says...

> > Actually, your home city is a part of creating your character. For
> > those characters who only have one home city (Vah Shir, Frogloks,
> > etc.,) it might be a matter of not having to click the home city you
> > want, but it still has to be clicked past. Unless, of course, that's
> > been changed in the last few weeks since I created my last character.
> >

> It would appear to be basically immaterial to game play now however.

Until you want to find your tribute master. Be nice to know where home
is.

Or get confused as to why your Origin AA or Return Home command takes
you to a zone you've never ever been to. :p

42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in news:MPG.1d824970c4e8db80989ce9
@shawnews.vf.shawcable.net:

> In article <Xns96C586D3AD81Arichardrapiernetscap@130.133.1.4>,
> RichardRapier@netscape.net says...
>
>> > Actually, your home city is a part of creating your character. For
>> > those characters who only have one home city (Vah Shir, Frogloks,
>> > etc.,) it might be a matter of not having to click the home city you
>> > want, but it still has to be clicked past. Unless, of course, that's
>> > been changed in the last few weeks since I created my last
character.

>> It would appear to be basically immaterial to game play now however.
>
> Until you want to find your tribute master. Be nice to know where home
> is.
>
> Or get confused as to why your Origin AA or Return Home command takes
> you to a zone you've never ever been to. :p

Yes, well, Origin is what? Level 70?

I have been expecting them to do something about the tribute master one
of these days, but, perhaps they won't, so you will still have to find
your way to your "home" that you have never visited before...

--

In article <Xns96C599C5BD426richardrapiernetscap@130.133.1.4>,
RichardRapier@netscape.net says...
> 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in news:MPG.1d824970c4e8db80989ce9
> @shawnews.vf.shawcable.net:
>
> > In article <Xns96C586D3AD81Arichardrapiernetscap@130.133.1.4>,
> > RichardRapier@netscape.net says...

> character.
> >> >

> >> It would appear to be basically immaterial to game play now however.
> >
> > Until you want to find your tribute master. Be nice to know where home
> > is.
> >
> > Or get confused as to why your Origin AA or Return Home command takes
> > you to a zone you've never ever been to. :p
> >

> Yes, well, Origin is what? Level 70?

But you get return home at level 1.

> I have been expecting them to do something about the tribute master one
> of these days, but, perhaps they won't, so you will still have to find
> your way to your "home" that you have never visited before...

I always thought it was colossally stupid they put them in the home
cities, given the ongoing 'de-relevancing' of them. Suddenly sending
people back there to configure ONE game property mostly just annoys
them.

Phonedude wrote:

> Part of starting a new character is picking a starting city. Obviously
> certain races have limited selections and there is a map and
> explanation given.

While its clear reasonably soon that different races start in different
cities, what isn't clear is that in many cases the areas between those
cities are incredibly difficult to traverse. And there's no real rhyme
or reason to which are difficult and which are easy, either; there's no
danger moving from Qeynos to Erud or vice versa (unless you're an evil
erudite, that is, back in the pre Paineel days, this was still safe trip
but the destination was very scary until you learned about the aqueducts)

A logical approach would be for the areas between the cities to be
reasonably low level; you might have to go thru some orc pawns or
something, sure, but the hard stuff would be elsewhere.

A different, equally logical approach, is to make travel between cities
something difficult, something you have to Earn... thats the Vision at
work. Nothing wrong with it, either. But it isn't necessarily self
evident when you start out, much less when you're contemplating buying
the game in the first place.

Simple solution, of course, is the one most of us used; if you want to
start out playing with your friends, everyone start with the same race.
Figure out the game a bit, learn more about the basic possibilities,
and you could do more; for example gnomes, high elves, wood elves, half
elves, and even dwarves could get together reasonably easily. Ogres
and Trolls can get together easily. Or, oddly, humans, half elves, and
Dark elves.

I did think it was weird that they have a whole section of the startup
devoted to picking your start city, and yet for MOST races, there
actually is no choice at all. To my thinking, everyone should have had
a couple choices, instead of just the one that most get; even if the
alternate choices were similar to Surefall Glade, rather than complete
cities, this could have cut down dramatically on the "we can't get
together" problem, while leaving the world nice and large instead of
putting in the POK shortcuts (and the Nexus shortcut before that, don't
forget how much that alone shrank the world)

Midi

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 00:35:54 GMT, bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>I played UO when EQ came out... we all made [EQ] characters on Tunare...
>We all managed to group <once>, about two weeks into the game. Others
>of us hooked up sporadically... I never did see one of the barbarians...

<snipped>

Guild Wars avoids this problem quite nicely. You and your friends can
meet up at any town/city the various characters have all previously
visited, and as all characters are the same race and start in the same
city there's always ONE city you can meet at :) Being able to meet
up with friends via a couple of mouse clicks on the World Map is a
very nice innovation.

Palindrome

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 02:58:13 GMT in
<MPG.1d82b15c9b227bc0989ceb@shawnews.vf.shawcable.net>, 42
<nospam@nospam.com> graced the world with this thought:

>He'd said, "I'll just kill some time here until you get here"

This was one of the things that happened to us, which wound up with
some people being outside playing range, because the grouping range
was so restricted when the game first started.

>I'd expect that if you and your friends had tried to form a new group in
>a UO clone, you'd have encountered many of the same problems.

Not really. unless we were forced to create characters on different
continents with near insurmountable hurdles to overcome... but that
wouldn't be a UO clone, that would be an EQ clone.

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 11:36:34 +0100 in
<kcuih152o4f7v5al10tgo3br7lhsjvab0b@4ax.com>, Palindrome
<damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> graced the world with this thought:

>On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 00:35:54 GMT, bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net>
>wrote:
>

>>I played UO when EQ came out... we all made [EQ] characters on Tunare...
>>We all managed to group <once>, about two weeks into the game. Others
>>of us hooked up sporadically... I never did see one of the barbarians...
>
><snipped>
>
>Guild Wars avoids this problem quite nicely. You and your friends can
>meet up at any town/city the various characters have all previously
>visited, and as all characters are the same race and start in the same
>city there's always ONE city you can meet at :) Being able to meet
>up with friends via a couple of mouse clicks on the World Map is a
>very nice innovation.
>

>Palindrome
IMO, this was something that Verant should've given some consideration
when the designers made the game--people come, with friends, from
other games, and want to play <with them>. As hard as these clowns
tried to jam grouping down peoples' throats, they passed the
obvious... people would rather group with friends than strangers. I'm
pretty sure our group wasn't unusual... and, out of nine or ten
people, one (me) stayed... they lost all the rest within weeks, and it
was directly attributed to the fact that we couldn't hook up
immediately, but instead were left standing by ourselves with our
collective dick in our hand. I remember making that Qeynos to Freeport
run at level 5, no idea where I was going, just to get to a decent,
more centralized place to hunt with friends. The guy with the most
outrageous trip was the necro gnome. I'm still not sure how the hell
he ever got on the boat.

I want to return to my original premise. I understand that some people want
to group with friends and that it's difficult if you don't all start in the
same city. (Why didn't you all start in the same city? -- nevermind)

The point is that I, and many others, but not all, enjoy the challenges. I
find fun in graduating from West Freeport to East Commonlands or from
Kelethin/GFay to Crushbone -- it's a sense of accomplishment. Along the way
there are quests and things to do that the power levelers miss entirely. I
am not into powerleveling and, to be honest, I don't care if I ever reach
level 50 or higher. The real point is I enjoy *playing the game* and not
just grinding out levels or getting together with thirty or more friends and
strangers and killing ubermobs. I still enjoy killing dervs in Ro.

For those who say "well why don't you just do that?" The answer is that the
game is so distorted by the expansions that it's really no longer possible.
East Commonlands is nearly empty and you end up trying to solo the orc
camps. The other once-popular zones are simply deserted. It's impossible
to find a group in any of the classic zones that were once full of people.
Go to LGuk and you'll probably have the zone to yourself. (Good luck with
that.) Even killing dervs in N Ro is difficult because there's no one to
team up with. Everyone is off in Paludal power leveling.

I know there are other people like me out there who would play on a classic
server and that would return to the game after quitting (like me). I have
found the thread on the SOE forums and it sounds like there's hope for such
a thing, but I don't know.

One thing I don't understand is why some people are so vehemently opposed to
this idea. If you don't want to play on such a server that's fine. Why do
you want to argue against someone else doing so though? I don't get it.

42 <nospam@nospam.com> writes:
> > [Home city] would appear to be basically immaterial to game play now
> > however.
>
> Until you want to find your tribute master. Be nice to know where home
> is.
>
> Or get confused as to why your Origin AA or Return Home command takes
> you to a zone you've never ever been to. :p

I haven't started any new characters since the tutorial got changed
to exit to PoK, so I was only vaguely aware of the change until one
night a few weeks ago, when I saw someone in PoK /ooc asking where
the halflings are. He got told Rivervale, and then asked how to get
there. I was headed there anyway (as my halfling druid), so I found
the guy and led him to Misty via the Rivervale book. Once there, he
asked again where to find the halflings, so I started to tell him
the way to the city, but then paused to /con him.

He was a dark elf, but hey, my iksar can walk safely in Rivervale;
still, given he was clearly a true newbie, and level 10, I decided
to ask him why he wanted to go there. He explained that he'd just
gotten out of the tutorial, and had found his newbie armor quests
in PoK, and those quests required him to kill some halflings.

I turned around and led him back through PoK to show him the way to
Nektulos and Neriak, and aimed him at the halflings in Nek that the
armor quests are designed to use. (It felt more than a bit weird
for my halfling to be aiding him in his quest to kill those guys!)

-- Don.

-- Sukrasisx, Monk 57 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 52 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- Teviron, Knight 23 on E. Marr