Question I want to put windows XP on my new PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 5, 2020
I want to install Windows XP on my new PC. It's not just for kicks I like Windows XP a lot more than windows 10. I know that I cant just download it from the web because I have an AMD CPU and GPU. specs: r5 3600, 16gb ram, Radeon RX 580 8gb, and enough storage. I think this has been done before but I don't know how and I want to do almost whatever it takes, I would preferably not want to spend any money unless there is no other way.
Can someone please help me do this, my discord is <Mod Edit - Personal info should be shared in a PM, not publicly>

USAFRet

Titan
XP?
It is hard enough jst to get WIN 7 running.
Not something 5 generation old.

It can't speak to 16GB RAM, no drivers for your hardware, etc, etc....

Install a current OS Linux or Win 10, and run XP in a VM. If you can find a valid non pirated license key.

Nov 5, 2020
XP?
It is hard enough jst to get WIN 7 running.
Not something 5 generation old.

Install a current OS Linux or Win 10, and run XP in a VM. If you can find a valid non pirated license key.
im not trying to get a vm running, i've done that, im trying to get xp running as the main os

You can't get xp running baremetal on modern hardware. However, you can run it in a vm like proxmox.

If you want to run it bare metal, I think the last processor/motherboard combos that could support it natively were lga1155 and some early lga2011 and were typically pre-built workstations by HP or Dell that would have drivers.

It's probably worth pointing out that a lot of applications and games no longer run on XP, so even if you were to manage to get it working, it's probably going to be a poor choice for a new system running modern hardware. As far as I know, none of the current versions of major web browsers run on XP, so you would need to stick with an old version of a browser from a few years back, and that will lack recent security updates, and may not work correctly with some web sites and newer browser add-ons. Likewise, the OS itself hasn't been patched for security vulnerabilities in years, and software and newer hardware compatibility will be spotty in general. Game distribution platforms like Steam no longer support XP either. It might be okay to leave XP on an old system from back when the OS was actively supported, but for newer systems, you will likely be better off running Windows 10.

If you want to make Windows 10 look and feel a bit more like Windows XP, there are utilities that can help with that, like Open Shell, that allows you to customize the Start Menu and File Explorer to be more like the old versions. If you really don't want to spend $100+ on Windows 10, it's possible to leave the OS unactivated if you don't mind some limitations, or you may be able to find a "grey market" key for significantly less, though either option technically breaks Microsoft's terms and conditions for use of the software.

I believe XP Pro x64 supports up to 128GB of RAM. Though I think driver support wasn't as good for the 64-bit version even back when it was current, since the vast majority of systems were running 32-bit XP.

Why do you want XP? What does XP do that even Windows 7 can't do for you?
It can actually run faster, lol. I thought I was using my fastet win7 system earlier today and it was actually just a 2600k running xp. The only thing that you can take advantage of on newer platforms is 64-bit as xp rarely had any support for that. If you can use older versions of openoffice, etc, xp runs blazingly fast. I use mine to look at pdfs all day long and with a gpu it's super-quick.

Reactions: Wilcal

Endre

Reputable
Windows XP 64-bit supports large memory amounts. The newest official version is Service Pack 2.

Keep in mind though:
•Windows XP doesn’t work well with UEFI BIOS.
•XP has no TRIM option included. If you have SSDs it’s important to have this feature.
•No serious browser supports Windows XP. You’ll have to find a niche one.
•Getting working drivers for your PC will be quite an adventure. If you’ll run into errors, you’ll be on your own.

In the end: What’s the advantage of using such an old OS?

Wilcal

Reputable
Mar 29, 2020
Working hardware of the modern age will be your down fall. I will tell you, the best you can do is to dual boot in the now. W10 for the net and modern day needs and XP 32 bit for whatever you need it for. XP 64 bit has nothing to really offer...
I am in the process of finalizing my last such system. I will paste a few of my posts from the forums here on what i have learned...( currently working to finalize my move to LGA1155-including a floppy!):
"I am currently running LGA775 with both W10 and XP. I kept the XP on a separate partition for playing W98 era games on legacy hardware. My sound card with gameport works on W10 and the gameport works when booted in XP. Having MB issues and can replace it with a(same) working one but eventually I will need to move up to something not quite as old. Figured it was time to make a plan. Im not as concerned about Running W10, thats probably the easy part. Already aware that ufei is a potential problem as well as changing to SSD (though it dont know if that is an issue I am already running it on a SATA HD). I am looking at the chipset options and like the B75 boards due to the onboard/chip PCI controler (as opposed to a PCI to PCIe bridge) since XP needs or at least i need at least one PCI card. There are 2 Boards im looking at, one by Gigabyte GA-B75-D3V the other by Asus P8B75-V (as well as the M-LX) and still poking around so open to other suggestions. Would like to hear what experiences people have had especially if running one of those MBs with the B75 chip. If there are better ideas i would like to hear it."
A responxe you may find helpful from Samir D (hello, i see you here!):
"Hate to bump an older thread, but I wanted to share some of my experience. You can easily run xp on the lga1155 platform as well and the i7-2600k and 3770k make for enough performance for w10 too if you want to dual boot especially since you can easily run 16gb of ram.
And the Dells are great for this too--I've got an optiplex 990 that ran xp nicely as well as some volstro units that do too. Obviously, the extra ram won't be useful in xp, but might help with a high-ram gpu. And you can easily tell which dells will run xp because they will still have xp drivers listed in support. :) HP is pretty good about this too as I can run xp on my z420 that has 256GB of ram and my dual x5650 z600 with 96gb of ram. "
And this about GPUs that will work (I was hoping the 1050ti aero would work) :
"I found this approximately 4 yr old post on a different forum...
"The newest GPU's with Windows XP Support is the GTX 950 and GTX 960. The rest of the 900 Series (and the entire 1000 series) have no Windows XP support. All older generations of GPU's (except for GTX 690) still have support for Windows XP (for now). So the most powerful GPU you can get for Windows XP would be the Titan Z (which is pretty close to the Titan X in performance). And then you have the GTX Titan Black/GTX 780ti, which has the same performance as a GTX 970. All in all, if you really need Windows XP, you can get Titan X-like performance with a Titan Z (and Titan X is not far behind GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 in performance). Or you can go a little lower, and get GTX 970-like performance with the Titan Black/GTX 780ti (2-Way Sli is supported in Windows XP, so you could get two of these for more performance). "
Many people will suggest running XP in emulation orVM; that depends on what you wish to do with it...I have a collection of W98 era racing games. I have old hardware for those games...
"The problem for a person wanting to play XP era games in emulaton or VM is the use of legacy hardware game controllers that need a sound card with a gameport that is live in XP. In my dual boot W10/XP system i have a sound card that has the drivers for both and when i load XP the gameport is live! I do not believe that will happen running in emulation/VM. "

Last edited:
Reactions: SamirD

Endre

Reputable
Working hardware of the modern age will be your down fall. I will tell you, the best you can do is to dual boot in the now. W10 for the net and modern day needs and XP 32 bit for whatever you need it for. XP 64 bit has nothing to really offer...
I am in the process of finalizing my last such system. I will paste a few of my posts from the forums here on what i have learned...( currently working to finalize my move to LGA1155-including a floppy!):
"I am currently running LGA775 with both W10 and XP. I kept the XP on a separate partition for playing W98 era games on legacy hardware. My sound card with gameport works on W10 and the gameport works when booted in XP. Having MB issues and can replace it with a(same) working one but eventually I will need to move up to something not quite as old. Figured it was time to make a plan. Im not as concerned about Running W10, thats probably the easy part. Already aware that ufei is a potential problem as well as changing to SSD (though it dont know if that is an issue I am already running it on a SATA HD). I am looking at the chipset options and like the B75 boards due to the onboard/chip PCI controler (as opposed to a PCI to PCIe bridge) since XP needs or at least i need at least one PCI card. There are 2 Boards im looking at, one by Gigabyte GA-B75-D3V the other by Asus P8B75-V (as well as the M-LX) and still poking around so open to other suggestions. Would like to hear what experiences people have had especially if running one of those MBs with the B75 chip. If there are better ideas i would like to hear it."
A responxe you may find helpful from Samir D (hello, i see you here!):
"Hate to bump an older thread, but I wanted to share some of my experience. You can easily run xp on the lga1155 platform as well and the i7-2600k and 3770k make for enough performance for w10 too if you want to dual boot especially since you can easily run 16gb of ram.
And the Dells are great for this too--I've got an optiplex 990 that ran xp nicely as well as some volstro units that do too. Obviously, the extra ram won't be useful in xp, but might help with a high-ram gpu. And you can easily tell which dells will run xp because they will still have xp drivers listed in support. :) HP is pretty good about this too as I can run xp on my z420 that has 256GB of ram and my dual x5650 z600 with 96gb of ram. "
And this about GPUs that will work (I was hoping the 1050ti aero would work) :
"I found this approximately 4 yr old post on a different forum...
"The newest GPU's with Windows XP Support is the GTX 950 and GTX 960. The rest of the 900 Series (and the entire 1000 series) have no Windows XP support. All older generations of GPU's (except for GTX 690) still have support for Windows XP (for now). So the most powerful GPU you can get for Windows XP would be the Titan Z (which is pretty close to the Titan X in performance). And then you have the GTX Titan Black/GTX 780ti, which has the same performance as a GTX 970. All in all, if you really need Windows XP, you can get Titan X-like performance with a Titan Z (and Titan X is not far behind GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 in performance). Or you can go a little lower, and get GTX 970-like performance with the Titan Black/GTX 780ti (2-Way Sli is supported in Windows XP, so you could get two of these for more performance). "
Many people will suggest running XP in emulation orVM; that depends on what you wish to do with it...I have a collection of W98 era racing games. I have old hardware for those games...
"The problem for a person wanting to play XP era games in emulaton or VM is the use of legacy hardware game controllers that need a sound card with a gameport that is live in XP. In my dual boot W10/XP system i have a sound card that has the drivers for both and when i load XP the gameport is live! I do not believe that will happen running in emulation/VM. "

I think that the best way to do it is by having 2 separate PCs:
  1. An old one, with Win XP (or even Win 98) on it, for old games etc. and
  2. A new PC with Win 10 on it, for daily usage.

I think that the best way to do it is by having 2 separate PCs:
  1. An old one, with Win XP (or even Win 98) on it, for old games etc. and
  2. A new PC with Win 10 on it, for daily usage.
I would go this route and use a kvm to switch between the two and remote desktop into xp any time I don't need direct video or keyboard access.
To each their own. One box and a tablet is enough for me.
Definitely. Anything less than a half dozen systems and I feel naked. I should be able to run 200-300 virtual machines once I finish working on my rackmount server cluster.

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
I want to install Windows XP on my new PC. It's not just for kicks I like Windows XP a lot more than windows 10. I know that I cant just download it from the web because I have an AMD CPU and GPU. specs: r5 3600, 16gb ram, Radeon RX 580 8gb, and enough storage. I think this has been done before but I don't know how and I want to do almost whatever it takes, I would preferably not want to spend any money unless there is no other way.
Can someone please help me do this, my discord is <Mod Edit - Personal info should be shared in a PM, not publicly>
Try Win8.1 It will still have a slight learning curve from WinXP (that was my favorite Win OS too!),but it has MAJOR advantages over WinXP.
  1. The most important is it still has security updates. I definitely wouldn't go online with WinXP.
  2. Any newer hardware should work fine.
3)There are programs (StarDock??) to make Win 8 to look and behave like WinXP. In fact you can use it (and other programs like it) to make any version of Windows to look like and behave like whatever version you want. For instance,make Win10 look like WinXP

Endre

Reputable
Try Win8.1 It will still have a slight learning curve from WinXP (that was my favorite Win OS too!),but it has MAJOR advantages over WinXP.
  1. The most important is it still has security updates. I definitely wouldn't go online with WinXP.
  2. Any newer hardware should work fine.
3)There are programs (StarDock??) to make Win 8 to look and behave like WinXP. In fact you can use it (and other programs like it) to make any version of Windows to look like and behave like whatever version you want. For instance,make Win10 look like WinXP

Yeah.
That’s just like paying some extra money to make an expensive Ferrari look like a cheap Fiat 🤣

(I’m just having fun here 😂)

Wilcal

Reputable
Mar 29, 2020
You can't get xp running baremetal on modern hardware. However, you can run it in a vm like proxmox.

If you want to run it bare metal, I think the last processor/motherboard combos that could support it natively were lga1155 and some early lga2011 and were typically pre-built workstations by HP or Dell that would have drivers.
In this thread you will find some posts by William P about older work stations for running XP. The issue for me was slots for DVD/CD...or i would have probably gone down that road...

ClapTrapper

Reputable
May 25, 2020
I would go this route and use a kvm to switch between the two and remote desktop into xp any time I don't need direct video or keyboard access.
Definitely. Anything less than a half dozen systems and I feel naked. I should be able to run 200-300 virtual machines once I finish working on my rackmount server cluster.
Sweet!
I'd love to see the details when you are done!

Status
Not open for further replies.