Build Advice I want to upgrade my CPU or PC, and planning to buy new Video Card, can someone help me with the build ?

Hohokoko

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2017
I plan to buy a new video card. Here are the specifications of my current PC:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-IFIKNQ5
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model To be filled by O.E.M.
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU To be filled by O.E.M.
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3901 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F6, 30/09/2014
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Product H61M-DS2
BaseBoard Version x.x
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.1151"
User Name DESKTOP-IFIKNQ5\User
Time Zone SE Asia Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16,0 GB
Total Physical Memory 16,0 GB
Available Physical Memory 10,1 GB
Total Virtual Memory 19,3 GB
Available Virtual Memory 10,6 GB
Page File Space 3,38 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

My PSU model is Deep Cool DN500, total output 500 W
My CPU Case is Infineon 1000

I am planning to upgrade my PC by purchasing a new video card, specifically the AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT. However, I am concerned about its compatibility with my existing hardware.

1. Is the AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT video card compatible with my CPU? If not, what do I need to add or change?
  2. Are there any other video cards that are better than my current one (Radeon RX 570 series)?

I plan to use it for gaming with tight budget
    I plan to keep my existing hardware and only want to buy a new and better video card if possible

Thank you for your help

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
There's no issue with *compatibility* with your current CPU, but you're up against the reality that with a modern GPU, an old Ivy Bridge CPU is going to hold it back from reaching its full potential. An RX 6600 would also be a giant upgrade and even a 6500 would be a significant one (though I wouldn't advocate buying one). All the Nvidia 30 and 40 series cards would also be upgrades.

Now, the even bigger problem with your existing hardware isn't your CPU, but your PSU. That's a super cheap, group-regulated PSU, that had no business ever being used with an RX 570. That you lucked out and your GPU survived well enough to not outright die doesn't mean it's a good idea to keep rolling the dice on a new purchase. I would strongly urge you not to buy a new GPU if that PSU is going to remain in the system.

Hohokoko

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2017
There's no issue with *compatibility* with your current CPU, but you're up against the reality that with a modern GPU, an old Ivy Bridge CPU is going to hold it back from reaching its full potential. An RX 6600 would also be a giant upgrade and even a 6500 would be a significant one (though I wouldn't advocate buying one). All the Nvidia 30 and 40 series cards would also be upgrades.

Now, the even bigger problem with your existing hardware isn't your CPU, but your PSU. That's a super cheap, group-regulated PSU, that had no business ever being used with an RX 570. That you lucked out and your GPU survived well enough to not outright die doesn't mean it's a good idea to keep rolling the dice on a new purchase. I would strongly urge you not to buy a new GPU if that PSU is going to remain in the system.
Thank you for your reply and Information..

Oh, thank you for the information, it's very helpful for me. Please correct me if I misunderstand:

So, based on the information you provided, there are 2 main issues I will face, right?

1. The Ivy Bridge CPU issue: If I plan to buy a new video card (AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT), based on this, what is your recommendation for a better video card that I can purchase, which is compatible with my PC?
  2. The biggest problem I have is the PSU. Thank you for the information. Honestly, my PC was assembled by an acquaintance of my friend, and my video card has already failed once. My current video card is the second one installed in my PC, and I had to downgrade its quality. To be honest, I feel deceived by my friend's acquaintance after reading the information from you, as I bought this PSU at a relatively expensive price, around 150 US$. I thought it was good enough. Or is $150 considered very cheap for a PSU?
  3. If you don't mind, with the CPU specifications I have and the Infineon 1000 casing, what PSU should I buy according to you? And could you provide me with a list of recommended names?.

Is PSU Seasonic Focus Gold GX-650 good?
P.S. :
I am sorry with my bad English

Last edited:

msroadkill612

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
That is a good psu & 650w is fine for 6700 which is a good gpu to get.

a 6600 is a bad choice as it is 8 pcie lanes and your pc is slower pcie 3. the 16 lane 6700 is better.

the other poster above, means that the 6700 may be held back in performance by your slow CPU - that cant be helped - its better to get a gpu that is a little better than u need than one that is below ur system's performance - at least it is a good GPU investment.

That 4 core intel is getting very old fashioned

the cheapest modern update would be:
amd 5600 or 5600x 6 core cpu ~$130
16GB 3600 cl18 ddr3 ram ~$40
AM4 motherboard ~$80

Last edited:
Reactions: Hohokoko

Hohokoko

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2017

a 6600 is a bad choice as it is 8 pcie lanes and your pc is slower pcie 3. the 16 lane 6700 is better.

the other poster above, means that the 6700 may be held back in performance by your slow CPU - that cant be helped - its better to get a gpu that is a little better than u need than one that is below ur system's performance - at least it is a good GPU investment.

AM4 motherboard ~$80

About this:
its better to get a gpu that is a little better than u need than one that is below ur system's performance

Do you know what GPU which is suitable with my condition?

and..

AM4 motherboard ~$80

does it mean, if i want to do it, i must change almost all my hardware?

Should i buy PSU first? because i can only buy each hardware once per month

Hohokoko

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2017

AM4 motherboard ~$80
Sorry to ask another question, can you tell me spesifically what AM4 motherboard type name, that suitable with that "cheap modern update"?

I am worry i buy wrong type

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Thank you for your reply and Information..

Oh, thank you for the information, it's very helpful for me. Please correct me if I misunderstand:

So, based on the information you provided, there are 2 main issues I will face, right?

1. The Ivy Bridge CPU issue: If I plan to buy a new video card (AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT), based on this, what is your recommendation for a better video card that I can purchase, which is compatible with my PC?
  2. The biggest problem I have is the PSU. Thank you for the information. Honestly, my PC was assembled by an acquaintance of my friend, and my video card has already failed once. My current video card is the second one installed in my PC, and I had to downgrade its quality. To be honest, I feel deceived by my friend's acquaintance after reading the information from you, as I bought this PSU at a relatively expensive price, around 150 US$. I thought it was good enough. Or is $150 considered very cheap for a PSU?
  3. If you don't mind, with the CPU specifications I have and the Infineon 1000 casing, what PSU should I buy according to you? And could you provide me with a list of recommended names?.

Is PSU Seasonic Focus Gold GX-650 good?
P.S. :
I am sorry with my bad English

Whether it's a good price or not depends on where you are. In the US, the CX-650M goes for around $80. The current PSU in my main rig, a Corsair RMX 850W, is an excellent PSU and I got it at Micro Center for around $130 a few months ago. My previous one, a Super Flower Leadex III 850W was about $115, but that was before COVID.

However, if you're in a non-Western country, prices can be unfortunately high.