[SOLVED] I want to upgrade my PC, any advice for compatibilty

hakim.homecentra

Honorable
Mar 26, 2018
I want to upgrade my PC, any recommendations. here is my current Specification

MY OLD PC :

And I want to upgrade my PC into Ryzen 5 3600, so I need to buy a new mobo, CPU and Memory. I'm planning to make a PC with a build :

WHAT I WANT TO BUILD, any advice will be appreciated :

that's the gist of what I want to upgrade for my PC, and please don't recommend super computer high-end pc like i9 99xx or other very high price Hardware, I can afford like 300$ to 400$ and from my research, the above component is compatible with my wallet except for CPU Cooler since I don't know what cooler to buy. I never use AMD before and this is a very big change in my computer life so I don't know if all components above will be compatible or not.

I hope you can give me some advice here, thanks in advance

Solution
I don't think 400 dollars will be enough. That 3600 Ryzen is 200 dollars. That board is horrible. I would change it to a B450 Tomahawk MAX which is 100 dollars. The RAM needs to be bought in a RAM KIT format. Not 2 single stick you buy independently. So that's like 70 dollars. You're now at 370 dollars.

I would totally change that PSU. You don't bring a 7 years old PSU in a new build. That PSU will die at some point and it could be soon and it could damage your parts.

120GB for an OS drive is too small nowadays and it's a green drive.

The 3600 comes with a cooler. It can sound like a jet turbine at full load but it does the job if you're not in a room temperature of 30C. You could buy a Esport DUO air cooler or a Noctua.
I don't think 400 dollars will be enough. That 3600 Ryzen is 200 dollars. That board is horrible. I would change it to a B450 Tomahawk MAX which is 100 dollars. The RAM needs to be bought in a RAM KIT format. Not 2 single stick you buy independently. So that's like 70 dollars. You're now at 370 dollars.

I would totally change that PSU. You don't bring a 7 years old PSU in a new build. That PSU will die at some point and it could be soon and it could damage your parts.

The 3600 comes with a cooler. It can sound like a jet turbine at full load but it does the job if you're not in a room temperature of 30C. You could buy a Esport DUO air cooler or a Noctua.

Solution

hakim.homecentra

Honorable
Mar 26, 2018

hey Nemesia thanks for the reply, for the Motherboard can you please explain why the "Motherboard MSI B450M Pro VDH " is horrible, if it really that bad I might reconsider to buy Tomahawk.

and as for the PSU, which PSU do I need to buy if I have to change my current PSU?

as for the SSD, I think I will not change it because even now I'm using Windows 10 with a full updated version and it still has a whole 30 GB of empty space, and I never plan to install big software or game on my C:

as for the RAM, do you mean to buy a pack of ram like 2x8 or 2x4? if that so then the Kingston i want to buy actually is a pack [2x8 GB = 16GB]

hey Nemesia thanks for the reply, for the Motherboard can you please explain why the "Motherboard MSI B450M Pro VDH " is horrible, if it really that bad I might reconsider to buy Tomahawk.

and as for the PSU, which PSU do I need to buy if I have to change my current PSU?

as for the SSD, I think I will not change it because even now I'm using Windows 10 with a full updated version and it still has a whole 30 GB of empty space, and I never plan to install big software or game on my C:

as for the RAM, do you mean to buy a pack of ram like 2x8 or 2x4? if that so then the Kingston i want to buy actually is a pack [2x8 GB = 16GB]
For Mobo you can go with pro vdh max however thats a entry level board it's fine however when you get a good Mobo you get good quality Mobo (quality pcb)more onboard sata connectors, pci slot, more io ports more m.2 slots and more audio channels i don't know how long you are gonna use this but I'll guess probably +3 years as a general consumer so it's good to buy nicer board -no it won't run faster it will perform the same however when you spend a bit more you get quality which should never be underestimated
Let's talk about ssd WD greens are not worth buying at all many bring them because they don't know it does not have dram which is very crucial and if absent it performs worse than hdd and ssd of the same model with more storage usually perform better than the small storage so 500gb is minimum what i believe you should go for. ssd options;
Sata;
Crucial MX500
Adata SU800
WD Blue
Samsung Evo 860
For Nvme i only remeber one;
Adata SX8200
You can find best nvme or even Sata drives at toms hardware and look for reviews in the main website. If you want to know about a particular ssd just search for it google and toms hardware usually will have most of the ssd's covered.
For cooler the stock fan would do well at stock however you can get a Hyper 212 which would make it run cooler and silent and yes get a new psu like CX550 which has sleeved cables.
Edit: Get dual channel ram i.e, a single kit of 2x8 16gb of ram.

hakim.homecentra

Honorable
Mar 26, 2018
For Mobo you can go with pro vdh max however thats a entry level board it's fine however when you get a good Mobo you get good quality Mobo (quality pcb)more onboard sata connectors, pci slot, more io ports more m.2 slots and more audio channels i don't know how long you are gonna use this but I'll guess probably +3 years as a general consumer so it's good to buy nicer board -no it won't run faster it will perform the same however when you spend a bit more you get quality which should never be underestimated
Let's talk about ssd WD greens are not worth buying at all many bring them because they don't know it does not have dram which is very crucial and if absent it performs worse than hdd and ssd of the same model with more storage usually perform better than the small storage so 500gb is minimum what i believe you should go for. ssd options;
Sata;
Crucial MX500
Adata SU800
WD Blue
Samsung Evo 860
For Nvme i only remeber one;
Adata SX8200
You can find best nvme or even Sata drives at toms hardware and look for reviews in the main website. If you want to know about a particular ssd just search for it google and toms hardware usually will have most of the ssd's covered.
For cooler the stock fan would do well at stock however you can get a Hyper 212 which would make it run cooler and silent and yes get a new psu like CX550 which has sleeved cables.
Edit: Get dual channel ram i.e, a single kit of 2x8 16gb of ram.

hello jeffreygian360, thanks for the reply

i do want to use the new PC for years so yes. i think i will buy Tomahawk like Nemesia suggested.

for the SSD replacement, you just waver my spirit. now i want to buy a new SSD, damn.
i see so WD Blue is enough huh, as for the storage size, is it really necessary for 500GB ? even 120 GB is still has a whole 30GB empty space so i kinda will buy a 250GB for the WD Blue later, whats your opinion on this ?

and last for the PSU, i just search the CX550 specification and it certified as Bronze, is that really enough ? i though if the PC use a high spec GPU it needs PSU with Silver or higher certification.

hello jeffreygian360, thanks for the reply

i do want to use the new PC for years so yes. i think i will buy Tomahawk like Nemesia suggested.

for the SSD replacement, you just waver my spirit. now i want to buy a new SSD, damn.
i see so WD Blue is enough huh, as for the storage size, is it really necessary for 500GB ? even 120 GB is still has a whole 30GB empty space so i kinda will buy a 250GB for the WD Blue later, whats your opinion on this ?

and last for the PSU, i just search the CX550 specification and it certified as Bronze, is that really enough ? i though if the PC use a high spec GPU it needs PSU with Silver or higher certification.
Yes buddy but its the hard truth about ssd and yes you can go with 250gb but consider this;
WD Blue 250 ssd for $45
WD Blue 500ssd for $60
Its 2x the storage with more IOPS (input/output operation per second) but not 2x the price doing some math;
250/45=5.55 that is 5.55gb per dollar
500/60=8.33 that is 8.33gb per dollar
And so the 250gb is actually more expensive than the 500gb, so now it's your choice.(Current price from Newegg)
About PSU Yes you could go with a silver rated psu but the bronze rated will fine. And as black friday is approaching you could find a deal.

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
So here is the thing with AMD, you want a good cooling system built around it so the CPU could boost and maintain higher clocks, to achieve this, you need a mobo with decent VRM, an aftermarket cooler, and a new RAM kit.

Here is my suggestion: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nQHcTJ

If you are tight on budget, you can skip the cooler, the stock one will do the job but it is loud and it will struggle to boost past 4000 Mhz. You can also skip the PSU but you will have to replace it sooner or later.

hakim.homecentra

Honorable
Mar 26, 2018
So here is the thing with AMD, you want a good cooling system built around it so the CPU could boost and maintain higher clocks, to achieve this, you need a mobo with decent VRM, an aftermarket cooler, and a new RAM kit.

If you are tight on budget, you can skip the cooler, the stock one will do the job but it is loud and it will struggle to boost past 4000 Mhz. You can also skip the PSU but you will have to replace it sooner or later.

Hello Florezy, thanks for the suggestion

for the PSU, I have been using it for only 1 and a half years. just for reference how many years is recommended use for PSU, so I can change it when the limit comes later.

for the Memory, just compare the corsair and hyper x fury at the benchmark. now I will definitely buy corsair vengeance now. thanks

Hello Florezy, thanks for the suggestion

for the PSU, I have been using it for only 1 and a half years. just for reference how many years is recommended use for PSU, so I can change it when the limit comes later.

for the Memory, just compare the corsair and hyper x fury at the benchmark. now I will definitely buy corsair vengeance now. thanks
When your warranty is over then you can consider changing it or get a PSU right now for this build and maybe sell your previous system.
If planning to get a psu get from tier A and B ignore the rest

hakim.homecentra

Honorable
Mar 26, 2018
When your warranty is over then you can consider changing it or get a PSU right now for this build and maybe sell your previous system.
If planning to get a psu get from tier A and B ignore the rest

I see, thanks for the advice.

hakim.homecentra

Honorable
Mar 26, 2018

I have take a look at the Cooler your recommend, but isn't it too big ? is it even fit for my current Case :Imperion E3 Gaming PC Case ATX Multicolor LED Fan for this cooler fan ?