[SOLVED] i3-9100f to i5-9400f

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 22, 2021
Should I upgrade my cpu from a i3-9100F to a i5-9400F?
Current Specs:
CPU: i3-9100f
GPU: ZOTAC GAMING GTX 1660 6 GB
MOTHERBOARD: MSI H310M PRO-VDH PLUS
RAM: 16GB 2400MHZ

Solution
Just being curious, I looked online for a search on your H310 motherboard and 9700K. I found a couple of build and review videos up to the 8700, non K skew by KL Gamers and Unboxish. They also do reviews on the 9400F which may be useful to your decision.
There were a couple of hits related to advising not to use the K skew with this motherboard.
Apr 22, 2021
How did you determine that this is caused by the CPU ?
What SSD / HDD do you have ?
At what resolution do you play ?
Im not sure if the cpu is the reason for screen tearing but i know it's the reason I have stutters due to it only having 4 cores and threads

Apr 22, 2021
Should I upgrade my cpu from a i3-9100F to a i5-9400F?
Current Specs:
CPU: i3-9100f
GPU: ZOTAC GAMING GTX 1660 6 GB
MOTHERBOARD: MSI H310M PRO-VDH PLUS
RAM: 16GB 2400MHZ

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Not sure that I would, considering how little an improvement it is. I would say something about how inexpensive the 9700K were recently, but I am not certain your motherboard would be a good match for it. When considering that, alone, the i5 is probably as far as I would take that on current motherboard.

If this 9400F is available to you really really cheap, yes...otherwise I don't think you will notice much difference if you aren't looking at a benchmark.
You may find this helpful:

Intel Core i3-9100 vs i5-9400 (cpu-world.com)

May 26, 2021
Depends what games you play...

A CPU upgrade is never a bad thing, it's usually more about the performance difference between your current CPU and the one you plan to upgrade to, and how CPU intensive the games you play are. Some are biased towards GPU and a better graphics card would serve better, some games (especially simulation type games) tend to favour CPU over GPU and thus a better CPU would perform better than a better GPU in that situation.

If i'm honest, looking at the comparison between the two, I wouldn't say you'd gain a lot by upgrading to that CPU. You may be better looking to save the money and put it towards a better CPU, or a new board (with a socket that supports the newer generation chips), or spending that money and upgrading another part of your system.

Apr 22, 2021
Not sure that I would, considering how little an improvement it is. I would say something about how inexpensive the 9700K were recently, but I am not certain your motherboard would be a good match for it. When considering that, alone, the i5 is probably as far as I would take that on current motherboard.

If this 9400F is available to you really really cheap, yes...otherwise I don't think you will notice much difference if you aren't looking at a benchmark.
You may find this helpful:

Intel Core i3-9100 vs i5-9400 (cpu-world.com)
Alright thanks for the advice

May 26, 2021
In warzone it's always at 100% but on apex legends its about 80 to 90% but I still get fps drops below 60 sometimes

So your CPU is maxed on Warzone. Thus it cannot produce any more performance. A CPU upgrade to the one you listed may help, a little, but not much, and it might not give the performance increase you want, for the outlay, it probably won't be worth doing. It's your call, but personally i'd put the money I'd spend on a chip like that, towards a better one, if you can't afford to get a better one now.

If there's no better chip available, using the socket your motherboard has, then it might be better to consider upgrading your board and CPU.

Apr 22, 2021
So your CPU is maxed on Warzone. Thus it cannot produce any more performance. A CPU upgrade to the one you listed may help, a little, but not much, and it might not give the performance increase you want, for the outlay, it probably won't be worth doing. It's your call, but personally i'd put the money I'd spend on a chip like that, towards a better one, if you can't afford to get a better one now.

If there's no better chip available, using the socket your motherboard has, then it might be better to consider upgrading your board and CPU.
I will also look towards this

May 26, 2021
Ok I will check it out

Just bear in mind, as that is an F series chip, it has no integrated graphics, meaning if you ever remove your GPU, or it stops working, you won't be able to get any display on your PC, since the chip has no integrated graphics, I personally avoid these chips for this reason, personal preference of course. Not to put you off, but a lot of people don't know what the F series are.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Apr 22, 2021
Just bear in mind, as that is an F series chip, it has no integrated graphics, meaning if you ever remove your GPU, or it stops working, you won't be able to get any display on your PC, since the chip has no integrated graphics, I personally avoid these chips for this reason, personal preference of course. Not to put you off, but a lot of people don't know what the F series are.
I am aware of that but thank you anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.