[SOLVED] i5 12600k w/ stuck at .37 GHz

CCz

Jun 7, 2022
Hello, thank you for reading.

I put my new PC together yesterday and ran into a peculiar problem. My CPU is stuck at 400 MHz .67 volts. I've never had a situation like this before and have no idea how to fix it.

Parts:

Intel Core i5 12600K
Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WIFI D4
AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT (Navi 22 XT) [MSI]
64 GB OLOy DDR4 3200 RAM
2 2TB NVME SSDs (one of these was moved over from my previous PC)
1 4TB Seagate HDD
EVGA 1000W Gold PSU
MSI MAG 240 V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler.

Last edited:
Reactions: cole-pc

CCz

Jun 7, 2022
not on the list and that look old
Updated the BIOS to version 1504 (latest on the ASUS website), the problem persists.

I've also disabled the ASUS MCE, but no change.

@CCz
Run ThrottleStop 9.4.6

Open the Limit Reasons window. Is BD PROCHOT in red? If it is, try clearing the BD PROCHOT box on the main screen.

Post pictures if you need help understanding this problem.

Many 12th Gen boards are locking out BD PROCHOT so you can no longer disable it. If this is the case, you will need a new board.

Is this dilemma possibly an issue as a result of rebooting an existing Windows installation, but with a new CPU/mainboard? Using existing 5 year old device /chipset/cpu drivers with latest mainboard and CPU is rarely optimal, and would explain your crippled condition...

At a minimum, you'd need to go install assorted mainboard drivers for chipset, vga, LAN, sound, (wifi if applicable) from Asus website...

The mainboard's BIOS is another issue, but, certainly the above needs to be done at some point if this was a 'swap hardware, reboot, hope for the best' scenario

Jun 7, 2022
I am having the exact same issue on the same motherboard and cpu. It was built 2 days ago.
After checking cpu-z I found that the cores were at a 4x100 speed or 400 mhz, shouldn’t the multiplier be in the 40s instead of 4?

CCz

Jun 7, 2022
Is this dilemma possibly an issue as a result of rebooting an existing Windows installation, but with a new CPU/mainboard? Using existing 5 year old device /chipset/cpu drivers with latest mainboard and CPU is rarely optimal, and would explain your crippled condition...

At a minimum, you'd need to go install assorted mainboard drivers for chipset, vga, LAN, sound, (wifi if applicable) from Asus website...

The mainboard's BIOS is another issue, but, certainly the above needs to be done at some point if this was a 'swap hardware, reboot, hope for the best' scenario
The Windows install was fresh, the SDD I moved in from the other PC was just a secondary drive with data on it.

Turned out being a faulty mobo, switched for a new MSI mobo and everything booted up perfectly.

CCz

Jun 7, 2022
I am having the exact same issue on the same motherboard and cpu. It was built 2 days ago.
After checking cpu-z I found that the cores were at a 4x100 speed or 400 mhz, shouldn’t the multiplier be in the 40s instead of 4?

Turned out being a faulty mobo, switched for a new msi mobo and everything booted up perfectly.

I got the solution after reading this post and getting the exact same results when repeating the diagnostic steps.

Aug 15, 2022
@Addy8430
Use ThrottleStop 9.5 to troubleshoot this issue. Does Limit Reasons show a BD PROCHOT throttling problem? If it does and BD PROCHOT is locked on the main screen then yes, you need to replace the motherboard.
There is no change after using throttle stop......and i have done everything including updating the bios and reinstalling windows ......then what should i conclude??
Is this the motherboard which is the problem?

Aug 15, 2022
@Addy8430
Use ThrottleStop 9.5 to troubleshoot this issue. Does Limit Reasons show a BD PROCHOT throttling problem? If it does and BD PROCHOT is locked on the main screen then yes, you need to replace the motherboard.
I have done everything including updating BIOS and doing the throttlestop .....but nothing works .......then should i replace my mobo ? .....i have ordered MSI MAG MORTAR B660M Mobo as my new mobo