Question i5 13600k getting hot could it be the cheap cooler?

Nov 3, 2023
Hay,
I've recently got a new pc and everything looks great but the CPU temp.
I'm getting around 40-50 degrees celsius on idle but when I launch something like cinebench it goes over 100 degrees in about 3 seconds from start and then I just stop the benchmark because I don't want to ruin the CPU.

Things I've checked:
  • Thermal application
  • Cooler and cpu covers\stickers
  • Latest bios version
  • Fans are spinning
  • Running the CPU fan on full speed
I'm suspecting that my CPU cooler is the problem since I did cheap out on this one but I never imagined the temps would be that bad.
I got the "Arctic Freezer x7". I'm just here to validate if I do have a problem and if my problem is actually the cooler as I suspect or could it be something else?

Thanks, Afik.

Full PC Specs:
MSI Pro z790-S wifi
Intel i5 13600k
Arctic Freezer x7
2x16 Corsair 5600Mhz memory
Sapphire nitro+ rx7800xt

Hay,
I've recently got a new pc and everything looks great but the CPU temp.
I'm getting around 40-50 degrees celsius on idle but when I launch something like cinebench it goes over 100 degrees in about 3 seconds from start and then I just stop the benchmark because I don't want to ruin the CPU.

Things I've checked:
  • Thermal application
  • Cooler and cpu covers\stickers
  • Latest bios version
  • Fans are spinning
  • Running the CPU fan on full speed
I'm suspecting that my CPU cooler is the problem since I did cheap out on this one but I never imagined the temps would be that bad.
I got the "Arctic Freezer x7". I'm just here to validate if I do have a problem and if my problem is actually the cooler as I suspect or could it be something else?

Thanks, Afik.

Full PC Specs:
MSI Pro z790-S wifi
Intel i5 13600k
Arctic Freezer x7
2x16 Corsair 5600Mhz memory
Sapphire nitro+ rx7800xt

Not at all sure those temps are abnormal considering your hardware.

13600K will accelerate toward max clocks until thermal limits are reached unless you deliberately configure it to do otherwise.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Nov 3, 2023
1) What type of case are you running your system in?
2) Does it allow for efficient air flow?
Hay hedwar2011.
The case is not a concern it's an antec case which is full tower atx and basically all mesh and It's packed with fans which are letting air in and out through the cpu cooler fan.

Nov 3, 2023
^This isn't intended for applications like:

^that.
What are you trying to do with this cpu?
Hay, Thanks for your reply.
I'm mostly using it for gaming but some of the games I'm playing are CPU heavy. At first I've just upgraded my GPU but I saw a bottleneck and replaced my CPU as well and now that thermal problem (At this point after a lot of research I'm not sure it's a problem, Some people say that's a normal temperature for this CPU).
Do those temps correct for that CPU as some say?

Nov 3, 2023
Not at all sure those temps are abnormal considering your hardware.

13600K will accelerate toward max clocks until thermal limits are reached unless you deliberately configure it to do otherwise.
Hay Lafong thanks for your reply.
I've seen some posts where people are saying that those temps are alright for this CPU but can't such temperatures break the CPU?
At this point I think I'm going to replace my cooler either way so I can get more performance before thermal throttling or so I won't get thermal throttling at all. But after I'll replace the cooling solution should I expect lower temperatures or same temperatures with better performance?

Hay hedwar2011.
The case is not a concern it's an antec case which is full tower atx and basically all mesh and It's packed with fans which are letting air in and out through the cpu cooler fan.
No worries, when it comes to temp concerns, it's one of my primary questions because I have seen instances where someone will try to cram everything into a mid-ATX case and it had no airflow whatsoever.
Hay Lafong thanks for your reply.
I've seen some posts where people are saying that those temps are alright for this CPU but can't such temperatures break the CPU?
At this point I think I'm going to replace my cooler either way so I can get more performance before thermal throttling or so I won't get thermal throttling at all. But after I'll replace the cooling solution should I expect lower temperatures or same temperatures with better performance?
I think your temps are fine for what you are doing.
As for whether or not you will see improvement is going to depend on the cooler, it's purpose, and how it's utilized.....unless you go liquid cooling and even then those still partially apply.

Another thing to consider:
As long as your temps return to normal idle temps pretty quickly after being under load, you are operating within normal parameters.

Reactions: Afik Habaz

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm mostly using it for gaming but some of the games I'm playing are CPU heavy.
Then you should be examining cpu thermals in games, not Cinebench.
'Cpu heavy' in a game with a modern cpu is at most, one or 2 cores, which handle things like instructions off the game engine and draw calls. That's incomparable to how hard Cinebench hits all cores.

Some people say that's a normal temperature for this CPU).
Do those temps correct for that CPU as some say?
You're getting acceptable results within the conditions the gear is placed under.

The CPU cooler is absolutely the problem here as it's a smallish two heatpipe cooler. Depending on where you are a single tower cooler from Thermalright or Deepcool could be available for not a whole lot of money and be significantly better.

Nov 3, 2023
Could I predict which temperatures I'll have with a different cooler? Will it be the same temperature but with better performance or will it be cooler?

Will Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 handle the core i5 13600k?

Could I predict which temperatures I'll have with a different cooler? Will it be the same temperature but with better performance or will it be cooler?

It would "handle" it.

Leaving aside whether it is the best choice within your budget that is available at your location.

Do you have any particular attraction to liquid cooling?

You can't accurately predict temps with any cooler....too many variables.

You may or may not be able to simply decide to worry less.

I saw a bottleneck and replaced my CPU as well and now that thermal problem
What is your ambient room temperature?
Did you remove plastic cover from heatsink, when it was installed?
Can you show a photo of your system with side panel removed?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Arctic-Freezer-7X-10.jpg

Look through the reviews on this site. They are testing with a 13700k with many of the newer air coolers and they do not hit a thermal limit. a 13700k can a huge amount more power than a 13600k so just pick one that is rated good for the 13700 and you will be fine.

As was said above it's not really possible to tell what temperatures you will get. With a good cooler you will not be hitting thermal limits on that chip which you are now. You will likely get a combination of better all core performance and better temperatures with an appropriate cooler. Keep in mind if you're concerned about heat being dumped into your room it's the wattage that does that not the CPU temperature.

A 240mm Freezer II will be plenty for that CPU, though it shouldn't be necessary to spend that much if you don't want to.

Nov 3, 2023
What is your ambient room temperature?
Did you remove plastic cover from heatsink, when it was installed?
Can you show a photo of your system with side panel removed?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Arctic-Freezer-7X-10.jpg
Hay, Thanks for your reply.
My room temperature I guess is around 25 degrees Celsius. I did remove the plastic cover.
Anyways I've decided to get a better cooler so I'll feel safe even if not necessary. I'll get one of the Arctic Liquid coolers II 240 or 360 .

A CPU which gets to 100C in 3 seconds, is not a cheap cooler issue, it's usually a voltage issue (assuming the cooler is install correctly)....you still need a better cooler, but even it can't heat up that quickly.

Have you overclocked the CPU in any form, maybe auto-overclock in BIOS? You need to drop the voltage a bit, otherwise you'll see the same results with a new cooler too.

Nov 3, 2023
Alright so thanks for everyone in this thread. I appreciate all the help. Today I've installed a new cooler (Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360) and the cpu performance went up and the temperatures dropped down to 84c max in cinema benchmark. I can validate that the first cooler was installed correctly but I can't tell if it was defected or just not enough for this cpu. I would recommend to anyone that's using a cpu like the i5 13600k to get a better cooler than the Arctic Freezer x7 just to be safe and not have to worry about if it's enough or not.

Thanks again for everyone that helped on this topic. Hope you'll have a nice day/noon/evening.
Cheers, Afik.