I5-3570 Throttled at 1.26GHz and 60% usage.

Charlie1999

Reputable
Aug 4, 2014
CPU - i5 3570
Mobo - Biostar h61 mlv3
Ram - 8gb Kingston value
GPU - gtx 960

Was fine yesterday however today no matter if I am browsing the web or gaming the CPU reads 1.26GHz and 60% usage. All temps in the system stay below 50°c apart from you which goes to at max 67°c. The power settings are on maximum performance.
Any help is appreciated.☺

Solution
Task Manager seems to report correctly for me, so if there's an issue I'd love a link.

*Download and run the CPU Diagnostic tool:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

You can also monitor CPU usage in Task Manager (I'd change to show all LOGICAL processors which shows four graphs).

Task Manager should show the CPU jump up to roughly 3.5GHz, and you should see all four graphs hit close to 100% usage at the same time during the diagnostic.

*POWER OPTIONS*
The only reason you'd be capped like that that I can think of is if the maximum amount of CPU usage was dropped way down. Check the Advanced Power Settings and see. While you are there I'd just set

Minimum Power State, and Maximum Power...
Task Manager seems to report correctly for me, so if there's an issue I'd love a link.

*Download and run the CPU Diagnostic tool:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

You can also monitor CPU usage in Task Manager (I'd change to show all LOGICAL processors which shows four graphs).

Task Manager should show the CPU jump up to roughly 3.5GHz, and you should see all four graphs hit close to 100% usage at the same time during the diagnostic.

*POWER OPTIONS*
The only reason you'd be capped like that that I can think of is if the maximum amount of CPU usage was dropped way down. Check the Advanced Power Settings and see. While you are there I'd just set

Minimum Power State, and Maximum Power State to 100%.

OTHER:
The BIOS of course can be modified to limit CPU clock speed so I'll mention that for thoroughness but it seems pretty unlikely that's been changed. Still, if stumped go into it and make sure it's on XMP and that TURBO is enabled.

Solution