[SOLVED] i5 4670k constantly running at high usage.

Dec 13, 2020
Hello,

I'm having a really frustrating issue with which I've been struggling for quite some time. I have a rather old machine, which consists of:
i5-4670k
GTX 1070
16GB DDR3 RAM
Asrock z87 extreme3 motherboard,
Win 10
For quite a some time, the cpu hits 100% usage in basically any game that's from last 3-4 years or so. While I get that my setup is dated, my friends tend to get much better results on weaker setups in various games - this was espiecially noticeable in cyberpunk 2077, where i can't even hit 30fps, which from what i see on the internet, should be easy on this CPU. This is even a thing while just using Google Chrome, or working on windows (something as simple as opening file explorer tends to up the CPU usage to around 60%).
I did scan the pc for viruses with Malwarebytes, no results.
The CPU is OC'd to 4.2GHz, however it is stable and temps rarely go over 80*C

Or is it a normal behaviour for such an old CPU?

Solution
What are your friends CPU’s? The trouble either the 4670k is it only has 4 threads and modern games really want 8 or more. My old 4670k @ 4.3GHz had been showing it limitations for a couple of years when I upgraded a year ago. Gears 5 was completely unplayable. Having had a 4670k I’m not surprised you are having problems in modern games.
What are your friends CPU’s? The trouble either the 4670k is it only has 4 threads and modern games really want 8 or more. My old 4670k @ 4.3GHz had been showing it limitations for a couple of years when I upgraded a year ago. Gears 5 was completely unplayable. Having had a 4670k I’m not surprised you are having problems in modern games.

Solution