i5-4670k gtx 580 crashing during games.

jooshi

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
Hi i recently bought a i5-4670k with an asrock b85m mainboard (k was cheaper then non-k) and kingston hyperx 1600mhz that is compatible with the mainboard. And an Antec New Solution VSK-4000E miditower. Then i took out my old gainward gtx 580 from old hp xps pc and the 550w chieftec psu and fit into it all and build the rig. It ran great temps were low, stresstested the cpu 1 hour on prime like 65 C max.

Now then any game i try to play, takes about a few minutes then the pc just halts and freezes completely with a big bzzz sound and shuts down, or just shuts down at once. And it wont boot, until like maby its gone 5 mins and then everything is normal from boot. used afterburner and aiwa64 to monitor all the temps and they were superlow, only the gtx with its normal high temps of 70+ topping around 82. I can make it boot at once afterwards putting a table fan blowing into the chassis tbh.

Now I managed to fix this all with installing an old (very noisy uncontrollable 4200rpm) fan from the old pc as intake under the dvd blowing over everything and out back, put all my other fans in performance mode, and gpu fan at 80%. Temps are almost identical but somehow this makes it not crash during play.

Now i cant see thers any temp problems really with the entire thing so dunno why its fixed with better airflow (and a fan that sounds like a helicopter) ? and its all new parts expect the gpu and psu. I updated bios and all drivers possible, and it just crashes without using this noisy fan setup atm no matter what I do.. All I can say for certain that the gtx 580 is to blame somehow. Using windows 8.1

Anyone had same problems and fixed it any other way?

jooshi

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
yeah i know, but the k version was actually cheaper then the non k so i just bought it. Thing is that in my old hp xps desktop, i had the same gtx 580 card and it never ever crashed and the temps were just the same..

Yes, but parts age. clean them to start with.
then make sure you have fully up to date drivers for both gpu, and intel integrated graphics, as well as latest motherboard bios.

also make sure your power supply is adequate (psu's lose their maximum output over time, so if you had a psu that was just good enough a few years ago, it is very likely that it is no longer good enough to run your system

jooshi

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
updating, ive cleaned the heatsinks very good and temps are down like maby 5-6C under full load. Still at the exact spot of 70C the pc just locks up and crashes.. I found out that the fan ive been using is actually exhausting air out the front, and this is what helps it not crash. So ive figured out another solution of buying a "Zalman Fanmate 2 Fan Controller" so I can easily just switch off the noise when im not gaming.

TRENDING THREADS