Question i5-4670k on LGA 1150 motherboard. Which graphics card for streaming?

May 28, 2019
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked before. I did search, but maybe my request is too specific !

I have an "old" i5-4670k running with a GEForce 660 Ti graphics card and 8GB of RAM. I very much want to stream my PS4 games via the Elgato HD60. The Elgato software do an ok job, but it isn't quite good enough to do 1080p 60. And to be honest, the quality at 1080p 30 isn't quite up to snuff. And boy, did it chew up my poor CPU. The PC was dedicated to streaming, but still 90%+

So I was all but resigned to the fact that I'd have to wait to upgrade to something meatier. But then I hear about this "new" NVENC upgrades that Nvidia have introduced. So I gave that a go, and on the 660 Ti, it doesn't look quite so terrible. Now I'm thinking, maybe a more powerful graphics card might get me to an acceptable level here. Like I say, I'm not gaming on the PC when streaming. Simply taking the input from the Elgato, encoding and uploading. I have around 7Mbps upload to play with (10 total, so I'd like to keep 3 free).

Sorry for the lengthy post then. The questions are:
  1. Is it worth getting a newer graphics card for streaming purposes for the aforementioned hardware?
  2. If so, any recommendations? I'm thinking maybe the GTX 1660 (Ti maybe).
So if anyone has any experience in this area, I'd really appreciate any advice.

Thanks for reading :)

May 28, 2019
Absolutely it's worth it to upgrade. Also worth getting to 16gb of ram since you're only at 8gb.
Thank you. Just out of interest, what difference would 8GB of RAM make to streaming, given that the graphics card would be doing the encoding?
Also, you say "it's worth upgrading"... What graphics card would you propose for streaming 1080p60?