i5-6600k + 1080 vs i7-6700k + 1070

soyouremark

Commendable
Aug 14, 2016
So I was looking at my pc build earlier today and how I was going to use it for gaming, and I looked at two of the biggest and most influential components, the CPU and GPU. I started switching the parts around and I realized that I could change the parts at the same price point

I could either get....

An i5-6600k and a GTX 1080 [Downgrading the Processor]

or.....

An i7-6700k and a GTX 1070 [Downgrading the Video Card]

[Note: Kaby Lake is also an option, and if you think one of those options would be better, please put that in your answer as well.]

First off, I'm gonna overclock the CPUs. [i5-6600k to 3.7GHz] [i7-6700k to 4.3GHz] I also want to run games at high-ultra settings at 1440p. I am going to use this PC mostly for gaming and school, but sometimes I like to edit pictures in Paint.NET and Photoshop [NOTE: VERY LIGHT PHOTO EDITING, NOTHING MAJOR] I also wanted to edit some videos [Still, light editing, no heavy effects, just adding some motion blur and basically nothing more] Of course I have to render these videos as well, yet again, it shouldn't take too long, as it isn't major.

Rest of the Specs [If Needed]

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 [Replacing fans with Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition]
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB [2x8] DDR4-3000MHz
SSD: PNY CS1311 240GB
HDD: WD Blue 2TB
Case: NZXT S340
PSU: Corsair RMx 650W or 750W [Haven't decided on what, yet] [I assume that if I get the 1080 + 6600k combo, I'll have to go with the 750W]

Solution
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2svw8K

For gaming, the GPU is the most influential component. Beyond the i5, the fps gain is very marginal, if any. In my opinion the budget for overclocking the cpu (getting a z motherboard, a capable cpu cooler) can always be put into the gpu to gain more fps. The gtx 1070 represents better bang for buck than its bigger brother gtx 1080, but I chose the EVGA variant as there is the 90 days step up program should you decide later you want a more powerful gpu.

The entry level PCIE ssd, MyDigitalSSD BPX, cost the same as the premium SATA ssd like the popular Samsung 850 Evo, but will achieve faster speed overall. I chose the 512 GB variant so you can fit in more games.

Single 16GB memory stick, so you can...

amtseung

Distinguished
Well, I've been seeing magical 5ghz+ 7700k's around, so that may be an option.

I'd go 7700k + 1070. I'm sure plenty of people will disagree.

Oh, and a 6600k shouldn't have any problems going over 4ghz, just like the 6700k. If it can't, it's either a dud CPU, a dud motherboard, or both.

soyouremark

Commendable
Aug 14, 2016

I've been thinking about going Kaby Lake a lot recently, but I do want to wait for a motherboard price to go down, because that is where it seems really pricey about Kaby Lake

But on the other side of Kaby Lake, there is an i5-7600k + 1080, so that might be an idea going somewhere

Or I could just go with a Titan XP with an A8-5600k, that seems like a good option, just kidding ;)

amtseung

Distinguished
$0.99 i5 650 on ebay with GTX1080 SLI?

Wait, there's an i5 661 there too. That could be a pretty beastly PC in its own right.

soyouremark

Commendable
Aug 14, 2016

Hell, why stop there. Might as well get that 99 Cent i5 650 and pair it with 3 Titan XPs. Oh crap, I almost forgot that we needed a $1500 water cooling system on itself.

hamzahfelix

Distinguished
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2svw8K

For gaming, the GPU is the most influential component. Beyond the i5, the fps gain is very marginal, if any. In my opinion the budget for overclocking the cpu (getting a z motherboard, a capable cpu cooler) can always be put into the gpu to gain more fps. The gtx 1070 represents better bang for buck than its bigger brother gtx 1080, but I chose the EVGA variant as there is the 90 days step up program should you decide later you want a more powerful gpu.

The entry level PCIE ssd, MyDigitalSSD BPX, cost the same as the premium SATA ssd like the popular Samsung 850 Evo, but will achieve faster speed overall. I chose the 512 GB variant so you can fit in more games.

Single 16GB memory stick, so you can upgrade to a maximum of 64GB RAM down the road without replacing any.

Solution