[SOLVED] i5 6600K with newer GPUs

Jan 22, 2020
I found some good discounts on new GPUs and i was thinking for a swap currently have a 6GB 1060 and i was thinking for an upgrade I have i5 6600K which gpu should i get that doesn't bottleneck this cpu? I don't want to build a complete new system and I was thinking 5600XT or 5700 or RTX 2060. Are there other GPUs you would recommend?

Gaming on a 60hz / 1080p screen and HTC Vive PRO

MB: MSI B150 Gaming m3
CPU: i5 6600K
GPU: ASUS DUAL 1060 6GB
RAM: 8GB 2133 Mhz
PSU: ZM700-gv 700w

Solution
At 60Hz I will assume you want 60fps. The 6600k can still do this in the majority of games but there are some newer cpu heavy games where this won’t be achievable regardless of gpu choice. Unfortunately the 4c4t i5’s have not aged well due to only having 4 threads. 8gb of RAM isn’t going to help either, 16gb is recommended for modern AAA games.

It’s not a question of bottleneck, it’s more what games will you play as many games will be fine running an RTX2060. Just don’t expect all the latest AAA games to run at 60fps without a bigger upgrade.
At 60Hz I will assume you want 60fps. The 6600k can still do this in the majority of games but there are some newer cpu heavy games where this won’t be achievable regardless of gpu choice. Unfortunately the 4c4t i5’s have not aged well due to only having 4 threads. 8gb of RAM isn’t going to help either, 16gb is recommended for modern AAA games.

It’s not a question of bottleneck, it’s more what games will you play as many games will be fine running an RTX2060. Just don’t expect all the latest AAA games to run at 60fps without a bigger upgrade.

Solution
Any of those GPUs will handle 1080p gaming without any issues...pick the one with the price and options you like.

The i5 6600k is now and will become more of a bottleneck sooner rather than later regardless of which GPU you pair it with. We are at a point now where many games already make use of more than 4 cores so upgrading the CPU to something with 4c/8t will provide some good results and give a lift to any new GPU you buy.

As sizzling stated above...moving to 16gig of memory will also provide a nice lift when paired with a faster GPU and CPU.